14 Mustang GT trackpack.....oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a problem with the MC shearing,just use a better quality 5W50. On an expensive car like that,I wouldn't go thinner than spec. Expensive oil changes are much cheaper than a new engine.

Originally Posted By: Redlinez
I was thinking he misquoted me. I gotta look into what other oil is approved besides Amsoil 5/50 and QS. I like the idea of Mobil 0-40.

The AMSOIL 5w-50 is "recommended for", it does not officially carry Ford's WSS-M2C931-C approval, FYI.

Hopefully they will get it officially approved by Ford in the near future as they've started to do with the European OEM's and the Euro oils.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
One other option could be this:

qogfgg.jpg

Under $20 a gallon at WalMart.

Rotella T6: the most over-recommended oil on this board.

Ford formulated the MC 5w50 to have a 40+weight oil with 800ppm max Phosphorous content, and people go recommending an oil with 1200 ppm Phosphorous. And yet again I am wondering why Ford developed an oil that will shear to 40 within about 1500 miles of street driving, and to 30 with a couple of track days. The RT6 will work, but the cats will burn out 50% quicker, and oil consumption during track days is many times that of normal street driving, so a lot of oil will go through the cats. I burned out two sets of cats on my Camaro in ~ 3 years doing track days.

AMSoil AMR is probably the best bet for having a 5w50 that stays in grade. AMR was formulated for the Ford spec, so it probably has the correct level of Phos.

Last edited:
In reading the owner's manual and hearing inside talk from my Ford dealer friends (I was an advisor there too), the 5/50 is only really recommended due to track racing. Someone can feel to correct me if you think I'm wrong. Someone from Ford also said the internals are exactly the same as a non-track package engine. I only really started to think 5/50 is required due to the cam phasers, but after hearing a Ford rep say the engines are identical, I know now it's only for the extra protection while racing.

Technically, the Amsoil 5W-50 is only recommended for the Mustang Track Pack and does not have official approval. However, Amsoil will stand behind their product in the event of an oil related failure, for whatever that's worth.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
BTW, Amsoil DOES carry the Ford Ford WSS-M2C931-C
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo...etic-motor-oil/
Could someone give me Pablo's contact info?

It says recommended right in the link you list. Not approved.

+1

'APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)'

In reading the owner's manual and hearing inside talk from my Ford dealer friends (I was an advisor there too), the 5/50 is only really recommended due to track racing. Someone can feel to correct me if you think I'm wrong. Someone from Ford also said the internals are exactly the same as a non-track package engine. I only really started to think 5/50 is required due to the cam phasers, but after hearing a Ford rep say the engines are identical, I know now it's only for the extra protection while racing.

That was my understanding, I was told only the tune is slightly tweaked. You really need your sump temps to be sure what you actually need. Warranty is another consideration.

I'm no fan of 20w oil in a high performance engine but a nice 40w would be an excellent compromise and likely give you everything you need for the street.

Save that 50w for track days...

Oh snap, so a little misleading advertising on Amsoil's part.(IMO) I haven't seen anyone "recommend" something for a spec that isn't actually that spec. I'd just as soon get the M1 0-40 or a 5/50 that is the Ford spec.

I'll be leaving on vacation for a week tomorrow morning, so I won't have net access. I'll check back in when I return, just so ya'll don't think I'm ignoring my own thread.....
smile.gif

Oh snap, so a little misleading advertising on Amsoil's part.(IMO) I haven't seen anyone "recommend" something for a spec that isn't actually that spec. I'd just as soon get the M1 0-40 or a 5/50 that is the Ford spec.

It is quite common in the boutique oil scene, they all do it. AMSOIL has at least gone to the effort to get some of the official manufacturer approvals for their European oils. My hopes are that they extend this practice into the domestic market with the approvals from Ford and other marques.

Yesterday was the first time I encountered Liqui Moly oil ever. I have seen their banner at a VW shop I know of, but didn't know what it was. A local Napa store sells it. I know it's made in Germany, but I didn't see any API or other approvals on it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I was thinking he misquoted me. I gotta look into what other oil is approved besides Amsoil 5/50 and QS. I like the idea of Mobil 0-40.

The AMSOIL 5w-50 is "recommended for", it does not officially carry Ford's WSS-M2C931-C approval, FYI.

Hopefully they will get it officially approved by Ford in the near future as they've started to do with the European OEM's and the Euro oils.

Do you have a link to Ford's list?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Do you have a copy of Amsoil's certification ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Do you have a copy of Amsoil's certification ?

No. Why would I? I asked a simple question.

Do they issue a certification? Do they have a list?

OK, have you got the suite of tests that Amsoil have carried out to state that it's equivalent (like we are promised on the DD specs) ?

M1 5W-50 still does not have the Blue Oval's official blessing?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back