13 Seer or 16 Seer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expensive energy saving windows do save energy costs but you usually give it all back when you have to replace the glass in those windows that have failed seals. If you do get expensive energy saving windows be sure they come with a VERY long or lifetime warranty that 100% covers failed seals or else the money you save on energy cost is going to go right out the window when the seals fail on one or more windows over time.

Texas houses, for the most part, have no basements. So, you will generally find the furnace and air handler installed in the attic space. Some systems may have them installed in closets. But, the duct work will almost always be in the attic.

New regional standards went into effect this year. You can look them up, but some areas of the country went to 14 SEER as the minimum and some are 13 SEER. Units manufactured prior to 12/31/14 can still be sold for 18 months so most manufacturers went crazy stocking up during the last quarter of last year. If you can wait until the end of that 18 month period and find leftovers you can probably swing a super deal.

Originally Posted By: Touring5

In much of the country, Summer brings both heat and high humidity. It is essential to properly size the condensing unit, otherwise you'll experience a cool, muggy house. From my time in the HVAC design and manufacturing industry, I was told you want the unit to run around 75% (or higher) during the hottest conditions.

Actually, you want the unit running about 75% of the time during normal summer days. During the hottest days, the right sized unit will run almost 100% during the day and about 75% during night.
Sizing also depends on your set point (temperature that you and your family feel most comfortable with) and it can vary widely from one household to another. The higher the set temp. the less AC capacity needed. Most sizing charts assume set temp. to be around 75F at least for Canada, so that is something to keep in mind when sizing the unit.

It gets even more complicated with two stage or variable speed, high SEER units and as usual many contractors will upsale the size, and they end up working not to the expectations and more importantly, not providing the promised savings in electricity useage.

I'll put it like this. I had 3 different companies come out to my house and offer 3 different quotes last year. I asked them all about SEER and such. They all said that we really wouldn't recoup much if any money going past 13 SEER. They could cut us a deal for the 14 SEER and such but it really wouldn't pay for itself in savings due to the FL heat. Same when asking about the gas furnace efficiency over 80%. They said we really don't see enough cold to recoup any savings there either. We went 13 SEER and so far so good! Better than what we had which was an air handler/furnace from 88 and a condenser/compressor from 03. Went up from 2 1/2 to a 3 ton and am spending just as much as we were in power but MUCH more comfortable!

Can't edit...But as noted above they also mentioned the issues that they had with the higher SEER units. My parents got the 14 seer version of what I got and so far so good for them after 2 years so ymmv

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Texas houses, for the most part, have no basements. So, you will generally find the furnace and air handler installed in the attic space. Some systems may have them installed in closets. But, the duct work will almost always be in the attic.

New regional standards went into effect this year. You can look them up, but some areas of the country went to 14 SEER as the minimum and some are 13 SEER. Units manufactured prior to 12/31/14 can still be sold for 18 months so most manufacturers went crazy stocking up during the last quarter of last year. If you can wait until the end of that 18 month period and find leftovers you can probably swing a super deal.
Strange, all AZ air conditioners are outside with most of them being on the roof while some are on the side of the house on the ground.

When you guys say A/C running at 75% do you mean let's say during the hottest part of the day, say 4 hours it would be running for a total of 3 hours during that time?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
When you guys say A/C running at 75% do you mean let's say during the hottest part of the day, say 4 hours it would be running for a total of 3 hours during that time?

Something like that, but it's the average for the whole day. Easier way to look at it is the unit should run for at least 45 minutes and be off for about 15 minutes.
During the hottest part of the day, usually the late afternoon, early evening, the unit should be running all the time and not shut off until late evening.

Last edited:
For $300 difference, I would go with Trane. I have had very good experiences with their AC units. They also took care of the one warranty I had very efficiently.

This assumes there is no difference in warranties. Payne is not a brand that is widely used in the Kansas City area, although they have a distributor here.

+1 "it's hard to stop a Trane"

Maybe try calling a few AC repair guys/companies and ask them what they are fixing most often, then buy the other one

Last edited:
Payne is made by Bryant which is a very good brand, IMO. Are the warranties the same? Should be 10 years.

Assuming warranties are the same, I would probably go for the 16 SEER Payne for the efficiency (I would be fine with either the Payne or the Trane.)

why wouldnt you just continue this in the other thread? why do we need a new one?
frown.gif

I wouldn't look much further than Lennox. We've had nothing but Lennox HVAC equipment in our homes for around 40 years, and never had to use a warranty (or do anything other than annual maintenance).

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I wouldn't look much further than Lennox. We've had nothing but Lennox HVAC equipment in our homes for around 40 years, and never had to use a warranty (or do anything other than annual maintenance).

Not an option. It's 90 degrees in Chicago, Wife's pregnant and both can be installed in two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back