$1185 to replace harness in my xB - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I am very glad Scion/Toyota decided to see my point of view and help me out with the repair. Something they did not need to do, obviously.

This is the second time that they have helped out. Previously, it was for a steering column part I took my car in for (clicking noise when turned). I was just out of warranty but they just had me pay labor and covered the part (which was like $300).

Toyota/Scion has been really good to me to be honest. Especially after this fiasco. Now I know this problem should of not happened in the first place, but at least they were willing to make it right for me.

Car goes in tomorrow at 9am... Hopefully repair goes good and no other issues afterward.

Last edited:
Glad to hear about the response from Toyota!

It's true the squeaky wheel gets the oil, it's really inexcusable that an expensive wiring harness would fail just outside the warranty period so they are correct in paying for this entire repair. At least in this case they get that treating the customer right will get them your return business and the referral purchases that will result from your word of mouth to family and friends, ect.

It's too bad that more companies don't "get it" in today's modern business world, all too many of them are seemingly fine telling a customer with a legit complaint to pound salt, loosing a lot of future purchases in the process. But that is arrogance for you.

I agree completely.

To be honest, I really love my xB. I have had it since August 2007 and still love driving it every single day. It is just a blast to drive and I plan on keeping it until it makes no sense to keep it going anymore. No other car interests me to this day like the one I am driving now. I have done a few of my "mods" with the suspension and intake and such, and has been a great learner car to do all of my own work on.

I know repairs will come and go, but at the same time an airbag harness is just inexcusable to be honest. So I am glad they are covering it which to me seems fair.

I have had nothing but generally great service from both my dealer and toyota/scion directly on multiple occasions. At this point, there is little doubt I will continue with the same dealer and brand in the future (unless a competitor just really has something that I want). Sure the dealer may cost more for most repairs, but the dealership is extremely well maintained and professional with their work. The mechanics don't look like they came from prison and anything I had done has been done well.

I am willing to pay more for that type of experience. So I am glad they are keeping me happy! For those wondering, the dealer is Metro Toyota in Cleveland.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully they correctly diagnosed the problem. There's always a chance they misdiagnosed it, which does happen.

Took the car in this morning... I got a call yesterday that they had to push the repair back a day because the tech that would be performing the work was out. Hopefully they take good care of my car today. They said they are hoping to be done by the end of today.

Thanks! I hope so too. They have always done great work in the past so I am confident!

I dropped the car off 8am this morning. I got the call around 5pm that it was still being worked on and would be done sometime tomorrow morning. They said to expect a call before noon or so to come pick it up.

All I know so far! They took it right back when I dropped it off this morning.

In other news...

Loaner is a new Corolla... Must say I am not a big fan. I am a bit large for it (6'6") and can't really get comfortable in it. Driving position is OK but hit my head a few times on the handle above the door checking blind-spots and such. The car itself drives a bit boring with a soft suspension (and/or soft sidewall tires). I am used to my lowered suspension with the sway and strut bars and all that... Much prefer an aggressive feel. It does get great MPG though... After my 60 mile driving today or so averaging 37MPG according to computer. Engine feels decent, good enough power for what it is. Tranny is extremely smooth, I must admit! Brakes a bit strong, if that makes any sense. The slightest tap applies the brakes quite hard. Had to adjust a bit to them.

It is just a boring car though, as expected for a Corolla... But it was free so I am not complaining! I would never buy one though, that is for sure! Just not exciting to drive.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Just got my car back today. All looks perfect visually, no weird interior scraps, dings, etc... Looks just as I dropped it off.

According to the receipt, it states:

DTC B1901 - Open in right front pretensioner.
EL9022 Replaced Floor Wire Harness #2 - TSB 0045-09

Airbag light is off (as it was when I took it to them anyway). Time will tell after a few weeks/months if it should return.

But so far, so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back