10w-30 vs 5w-40 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
In regards to the TBC layer I don't think there would be any detectable differences. A 10w-30 should provide much less wear during a cold start vs. a 15w-40 though, and probably equal to a 5w-40 in cold start.

Viscosity has little to do with the "TBC", I agree.

But how do you think, and through what mechanism will the 10W30 provide "much less wear" than a 15W40 ?

And equal to a 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Shannow,

I followed your response to Dnewton...was unclear about the sequence IV result implications. Thanks both of you for the free education.

The sequence IV is the industry standard test (for PCMOs) that tests the engine oil's effectiveness during WARMUP, rather than the misinterpreted STARTup.

BITOG seems to think it's the period before oil pressure is established that the wear occurs, and that's patently incorrect. And besides, at temperatures freezing and above, there will be absolutely no difference in time between 0W, 5W, 10W, and 15W filling the galleries and hitting full oil pressure.

In the sequence IV test, the oil is pressurised and flowing, and the engine running with a fulling functioning lubrication system. However, the engine is purposely held at 140-150 F, where the oil viscosity is dropping from it's cold thick state, and the additives aren't functioning optimally.

To quote member bobbydavro, who is an oil formulator, and HAS done the sequence IV test, the Sequence IVA is tested at exactly the right temperature for these effects to be present. He's done it colder, and the viscosity helps protect a little more, he's done it hotter, and the additives work better.

So the industry standard for "warmup" wear has nothing to do with the time that it takes to gin oil pressure, it's how the oil functions during the WARM up phase.

I kicked off a thread some months ago going through some of the detail.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...on.#Post3680194

On page two, is where bobbydavro comes in.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Nice post. All makes sense and I have ran the IVA at lower temperatures and see lower numbers so it is defiantly on the sweet spot of wear.

Base oil is of little impact here, it's all about the chemistry. And driving rather than letting engine warm up at idle significantly reduces the camshaft loads.

So yes, it's about chemistry, but the wear is in the mid warm-up range, not startup, and as the initial protection provided by viscosity is lost, and the oil moves into addtive control of wear.

Only correlation is that to get a warmup, you need a start-up first.

And the middle range is the range to get through as quickly as you can (don't idle and engine to warm it, use it...there's a marked difference in my engines holding a gear lower while I move through town)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Once the oil drains down, it all sits in the pan, except for what may be trapped in the system by the ADBV.

Negative. The term of art for the remaining oil is "residual oil." When you do an oil change (with filter), you only change around 85% of the oil because about 15% is stuck in the engine.

This is why longer OCIs actually show LOWER wear rates in nearly every application I have ever studied.

Since 15% of the old oil is trapped, a short OCI will reflect the leftover 15% wear metals, which will appear to be bad on a per mile basis.

Many of us have heard the old adage that "XX% of wear occurs at start up ..." Well - that is only somewhat true. It does occur, but it also will become almost non-existent as the OCI ages, due to the TBC.

I think you're confusing what start up is. Start up is from the time the engine starts to when it hits equilibrium temperature. It's around 20 minutes of driving. Some have started calling this the warm up period, but it's the same thing.

Thanks Shannow and Skid. What would explain UOAS showing no more significant wear numbers between 30 and 40 grades? Is it more robust anti wear additives in today's oils? Excuse my simple minded questions...still learning.

If you look at Industry expert Doug Hillary, who managed a fleet of vehicles across Australia in quite demanding conditions (not cold like some parts of the US), his take is that UOAs are for a determination of the state/servicability of the oil, and not necessarily the engine.

Serious problems MAY show up, but a couple of PPM here or there isn't a definitive factor in assuming what the engine wear is/isn't.

Particularly in bearings (big part of my world), when the engine is in normal operation, the hydrodynamic oil wedge will keep the parts separated...in the old days, this used to be referred to as the "zero wear" regime, and if the parts don't touch, they don't wear.

The parts separation distance (Minimum Oil Film Thickness) is related to engine speed (more revs, more MOFT), engine load (more load, lower MOFT), and viscosity (more viscosity, more MOFT).

But hydrodynamic lubrication is like lift/drag on a plane...you want the lift, but it comes with drag...so the press is on to reduce drag, and this can be done by reduced viscosity.

It can be reduced to where the parts still don't touch, and will have the same effective "protection", but a lower "margin" of protection.
Viscosity changes with temperature, so a 15W40 with an HTHS over 4 will have more margin of protection than an oil with 3.6...but

Honestly, I beleive that thermal management of engines is massively improved over years past...an overheat on a hill, coolant loss, etc. isn't anything like as frequent as it was in the past.

Statistically, the engines aren't spending as much time in that zone, so the safety factors can be dropped a little, and still not lead to industry wide poor experiences.

Passenger cars are taking the friction reduction further, and with the limited life required (200,000 miles isn't a long time), are spending more time in boundary and mixed, still with acceptable UOAs, but relying on additive interactions more than the viscosity drivent protection of the past...again, if cooling systems and fueling were as useful as they were in the '70s, I don't think they could get away with as well as has been experienced

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that to me. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Roadrunner,

Question on the 6.7...does fuel dilution depend on regen frequency? 6 months into OCI...coming up on 5,000 miles...regens every 500 miles (lots of passive regens going on). Thanks again for sharing your experience...you are one of the reasons am going to use 10w30 after my delvac stash is gone. Thanks.

This is my first 6.7 as I've had it for just about a year and 30.000 mi. I haven't experienced any fuel dilution in any of my UOA's, so I can't explain why some are seeing fuel dilution and others aren't, it may be due to a leaky injector(s) or it could be different driving conditions.

During strictly highway conditions I see my regens at just about 500 mi. also, it must be the way they're programmed.

I made the comment about start-up wear comparing 10w-30 vs. 15w-40 vs. 5w-40 only in relation to cold-flow properties, 10w-30 and 5w-40 are nearly equal in this regard with 15w-40 much higher up the temp chart in cold-flow capability. I live in the part of the country where we have seen -20f temps (not this year) and I do travel north where I have had to start at -40f, so that is where my line of thinking was coming from. I am well aware that most won't ever have to experience this extreme temp, once I had to cold-start my 6.0 in -40f with no available hydro for the block heater after a 5 day cold soak. It started but sounded ugly, the only thing we had gong for us was the sun was shining. A buddy of mine had a new 6.4 PowerStroke and it started also.

Thanks roadrunner. Before I change my oil I will get a UOA to establish a baseline. I am not anticipating much fuel dilution as well...my application is basically 90% all highway. Just turned over 10,000 miles. Great driving truck.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I made the comment about start-up wear comparing 10w-30 vs. 15w-40 vs. 5w-40 only in relation to cold-flow properties, 10w-30 and 5w-40 are nearly equal in this regard with 15w-40 much higher up the temp chart in cold-flow capability.

Is that so? Interesting.

I thought the cold flow properties were similar between 5w40 vs 10w30? I live in California so not too big of a concern for me...coldest it has gotten this year has been on the high 30s. Thanks Kschachn.

Thats correct, and since you're in a motorhome, unless you're some kind of an extreme camper/traveler you will never need the cold-flow properties of any of the three mentioned.

Yes - we would all hopefully agree that a UOA is NOT the end-all,be-all answer to everything. But it is, by FAR, the cheapest alternative to understanding how wear is taking place in a piece of equipment. Sure, you can measure clearances upon tear down, but that method is also not without problems such as gage R&R, tolerance stacking and even dimensional shifts due to handling, etc. OTOH - Electron bombardment measurements are fairly accurate, but they are crazy expensive and way past the wallet of any BITOGer. Even tear-downs are silly to a average Joe; who has the money and downtime for that? Like we're going to take our car out of service once a year to rip the engine apart? Come on, guys, be sensible here ... UOAs are the low-cost, fairly accurate representation of wear rates in a piece of equipment. They are admittedly not infallable, but they are certainly reliable in most circumstance. They are a "best fit" for most applications within any reasonable budget.

Clearly some of you have never actually paid for and read the SAE 2007-01-4133. It clearly speaks to the TBC and how it affects wear, as well as the degradation of it upon fresh OCI, it's development over an OCI, and the magnitude due to oxidation (most specifically the application of heat) of the lubricant. Also, not only are wear rates reduced, but frictional drag is also reduced by the TBC. Obviously, they do go hand in hand to a large degree. But the TBC can actually contribute to a reduced parasitic drag.

I fully admit at times I'm in a hurry and take the "easy" way out by not being fully descriptive enough, and at times use poor choices for terminology. But that does not negate the concept here. I seriously doubt the OP would see any tangible difference in wear characteristics between a 10w-30 and 5w-40 in his use. Typically, the "noise" of variation is larger than what little change/shift may or may not take place. I can prove, beyond any resaonable doubt, that OCI extensions in reasonable terms actually shows lower wear rates. Ford/Conoco proved the same thing in their study, using different methodogy. Two independent test methods resulted in the same conclusion. That's not just a coincidence.

I agree that UOAs are a direct view of lubricant health.
I agree that UOAs are an indirect view of equipment health.
I agree that there are methods to measure wear with greater accuracy than a UOA, but cost and time make them prohibitive.
But I disagree that UOAs are not useful in terms of analyzing what occurs.
Looking at UOA data for the lube info (vis, insols, TBN/TAN, FP ect) are only PREDICTORS of the POTENTIAL for a change in performance. Wear metals, however, actually tell what transpired; they are the RESULTS of events occurring.

Philosophically, if you could use a 50/50 mix of goat milk and lamb urine, and still got low wear, would it matter what you use? Lubes can be in fine shape (good vis, low FP, strong TBN) and if you ONLY know the lube characteristics, you'll NEVER see a bearing failing. You have to look at wear metals to see the uptick in wear. Only knowing what the lube looks like really does not tell you how well the equipment is doing; it only tells you how much longer you can use the lube. Only focusing on lube properties does NOT assure no damage is occurring. If you could not see Fe, Al, Pb, Cu or other trace metals, and you could only see Vis, FP, TB/TA, how would you know when to change oil? Vis can be perfectly in spec and the engine could be suffering terribly. FP can be low and a lifter may be gouging a bore. Etc. We've seen this many times in UOAs posted here. FP is high; wear rate unaffected. Vis is low; wear rate unaffected. TAN crosses TBN; wear rate unaffected. Wear rates do change, but they generally change for the better as the OCI ages; proven both in the SAE article and in my data study. Is anyone so confident in their antithetic position that they can refute the money Ford/Conoco spent, or more than 12,000 UOAs in my database? If so, step and and give your proof!

UOAs tell us two things:
1) how well the lube is holding up (a direct view)
2) how well the equipment is wearing (a implied view)

Data CLEARLY shows that minor changes in grade differences among properly chosen lubes (meeting an API cert spec'd by the OEM, for example) don't manifest into any wear rate changes outside of a statistical norm. Running a PCMO 5-w20 versus 10w-30 really is moot. Running a 10w-30 HDEO versus 5w-40 HDEO echoes the same thing. Any why? Because the TBC controls wear at start up BEFORE the oil boundary lifts the components apart. Once running, the TBC has a lesser effect. The deposition of that boundary layer is mostly generated by heat and time; oxidation is your friend to some degree.

Purchase and read 2007-01-4133.
Collect and analyze more than 12,000 UOAs.
Don't talk to me about theory of lube properties; show me real world data that proves it matters.

Last edited:

Dave, can you answer this one?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Real world proof, my studies of more than 10,000 UOAs, shows this grade topic is an overblown issue.
Out of curiosity, how many of those UOAs are for 2010 or newer diesels which have fully functional DEF, EGR, and DPF/SCR systems on them? I would be interested to learn if there are differences in wear rates between those engines and traditional non-DEF, EGR, and DPF/SCR engines.

Clearly some of you have never actually paid for and read the SAE 2007-01-4133. It clearly speaks to the TBC and how it affects wear, as well as the degradation of it upon fresh OCI, it's development over an OCI, and the magnitude due to oxidation (most specifically the application of heat) of the lubricant. Also, not only are wear rates reduced, but frictional drag is also reduced by the TBC. Obviously, they do go hand in hand to a large degree. But the TBC can actually contribute to a reduced parasitic drag.

You're obviously talking to someone else, as I've got the paper.

Don't talk to me about theory of lube properties; show me real world data that proves it matters.

Belligerence doesn't help your argument...

As I said, I've got the paper, have read the paper, and as I have repeatedly stated in multiple threads on the issue (including to yourself), you are reading the paper in light of what you WANT it to say, not what it actually offers.

That was a K.A.
Im with Dnewton3 on that one also.
grin.gif

Last edited:

or more than 12,000 UOAs in my database? If so, step and and give your proof!

I have asked you this before and have never seen an answer. Do you have your 10,000 now 12,000 UOA data base in a digital sortable data base or spread sheet form? It would certainly support your arguments and be of value for the whole BITOG community. We might be able to collectively add to it and further it's usefulness.

Step up and show us your real world evidence you love to quote so often.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pontual
He can get more from Jstor... or Aaron Swartz ...
What? Please explain.

Originally Posted By: 3311

or more than 12,000 UOAs in my database? If so, step and and give your proof!

I have asked you this before and have never seen an answer. Do you have your 10,000 now 12,000 UOA data base in a digital sortable data base or spread sheet form? It would certainly support your arguments and be of value for the whole BITOG community. We might be able to collectively add to it and further it's usefulness.

Step up and show us your real world evidence you love to quote so often.
thumbsup2.gif

My evidence you request is in the normalcy article. Have you read it? Many of you still don't understand the concepts of macro and micro data analysis.

What I can do is analyze any sub-set of data desired, and look at the performance range compared/contrasted to other sets.

This wear-rate phenomenon isn't limited to one type of engine or one generation of transmission, etc. This is an overall phenomenon that is seen as a wide ranging generalization. There will always be some obscure odd-ball items that don't conform, but the VAST majority of data exhibits this conditional response; use the lube longer (as long as it's not overtly abused) and the wear rates go down.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

You're obviously talking to someone else, as I've got the paper.

Belligerence doesn't help your argument...

As I said, I've got the paper, have read the paper, and as I have repeatedly stated in multiple threads on the issue (including to yourself), you are reading the paper in light of what you WANT it to say, not what it actually offers.

Allow me to quote the SAE study in support of my statements:
Note - I want to be careful here and not reproduce the entire study word-for-word by violating copyright issues, so I'll try to be brief. The ENTIRE article is a great read, and if you truly own it then I don't understand how you cannot see the alignment of my statements and the study data ...

- Fujita et al demonstrated that the thickness of the lubricant-derived film increases steadily with test duration and stabilizes at the 50-100 nm level. The thickness is almost independent of phosphorus concentration. Film thickness is also dependent upon oil temperature with the higher temperatures tending to promote greater film thickness. (page 3, par 2; referring to the TBC film and not viscosity boundary)
- (entire paragraph 2 of page 4 indicating the historical view of previous SAE studies regarding wear and film barriers; denotes the lack of concentration on the topic of time/aging of the oil, etc; too long to quote)
- The wear was measured … by the surface layer activation technique … by bombarding by a proton beam in a particle accelerator (page 6, par 1)
- It is clearly seen that the fresh oil exhibits a much higher wear rate than the vehicle drain sample … The wear rate dropped significantly with the 3000 mile drain oil, in fact the wear rate became practically zero. (page 6, par 5)
- It is interesting to note that the viscosity of the 7500 mile drain oil is about 20% higher (at 100C) than that of the 3000 mile drain oil and therefore, might be expected to show a lower wear rate because of the increased film and the resulting reduction in asperity contact. But both oils showed similar wear rates indicating that wear rate is controlled more by the chemistry of the surface film formed at the contact than asperity contacts (page 6, par 5)
- The frictional torques continued to drop as the oil aged in the vehicle. The drop in friction torque with the 7500 mile drain oil is about 9-12% compared to when the oil was fresh even though viscosity increased. (page 7, par 1)
- The viscosity of drain oils increased progressively as drain interval increased from 3000 miles to 15,000 miles, but the wear rate of tappet shims and frictional torque did not change appreciably indicating that the reduction in wear rate and friction is related to changes in oil chemistry with aging (page 13, par 6)

The study notes, and makes a specific point in page 4, par 2, that all previous studies by other groups were limited in that they did not focus on the effect of TBC in relation to time exposure (OCI duration). Previous studies were only conducted with same-age lubes, and therefore a static viewpoint was the only thing gleaned. And most all of those tests were only done with fresh oils, not aged as real world use presents itself. Therefore this 2007-01-4133 study is unique in that it looks at the TBC as it ages, and then compares/contrasts the effect of the TBC to the other potential effect of vis.

I have stated, and continue to state, that the TBC controls wear more than the vis. I state that the TBC is improved with heat and age. I state that the wear rates drop as the OCI increases. All of this is supported both by my data and the SAE study I quoted.

I also insist that the wear at start up is not greatly controlled by the oil film because it is simply not present in a productive, meaningful manner upon the first revolution of the crank, until enough volumetric flow exists to supply that hydrodynamic wedge as the pump gets oil to where it needs to be. However, the TBC is present at ALL times, and coats the surfaces with the layer that averts metal-to-metal contact at that critical time. Admittedly this was not part of the 2007-01-4133 study; this is my assertion only. If this is the only thing you find unpalatable then I'm willing to debate this in theory. It is fairly simple to understand my position, is it not? After being established, the TBC is present at all times, during start up and at warm up and at full temp operations. The film boundary layer can ONLY be present once the oil pressure supplied by the pump gets the parts to float on the hydrodynamic oil film wedge; after several revolutions of the crank. How can oil wedge be a part of something when it's not even present? Does the SAE article specifically address this? No it does not. Does it have to? I'd like to think that any sane person understands that for something to have an effect, it first has to be present. After being established, the TBC is assured to be there even before the first degree of crank rotation. The oil pressure wedge isn't present until several revolutions have passed. Is it not self-evident? One thing is present at all times, while another is only present after pressure builds. By default, the wear protection must obviously be provided by something that is present, not something that only shows up later. If you see it differently, then please explain.

I will note that frictional torque as measured in the SAE study is different from pumping losses. As I reread my statements from earlier I have not clearly differentiated this disparity. Pumping losses due to vis increases are not the same as frictional losses at surface contact. However, I contend that the study does prove the TBC to reduce parasitic drag due to friction, but it was not studied regarding vis pumping effects. IOW, the parasitic friction will be reduced as the OCI ages and the TBC improves.

It is also important to understand that as the vis increased over the OCI duration, the wear eventually stabilized at very low levels, ("near zero" per the study) often around the 3000 mile mark. And do recall that other studies proved that the TBC stabilized at 50-100 nm. So the TBC ages and improves and then stabilizes, while the vis is in constant change. And so when the wear rates drop and then stabilize, they reflect the TBC development and not the vis shift. Because vis is always changing (generally getting thicker) but the wear stagnates, vis cannot be said to be the true actor. When you have a variable that changes but the result stays stagnant, then that variable is not having an effect. Wear rate is the result of wear-at-moment, as measure by time/distance. The wear rates drop because wear goes "near zero" as the TBC matures. Once the TBC matures to a full effect, the instant wear is almost nothing. So the "rate" drops as time is added. But the Vis is in flux all the time. If the Vis were the solution to wear, the instant wear would still be affected. A changing variable that shows no shift in result is proven to not be able to affect. So the 3000 miles it takes to stabilize wear is in correlation with the TBC development, but the ever-changing vis cannot make an affect, despite it's ever growing magnitude. If you add more and more of something, but the result does not change, then that characteristic must not be having any affect. And they proved that; wear tracks with the TBC and not vis. And my study data echos that very same phenomenon. Now, I am going to have to expect that you all understand that when I say vis variation, I'm talking about vis shifts within a grade or two. I am also talking about grades that are used within the OEM intended API spec. A 5w-20 SN PCMO and a 10w-30 SN PCMO are not that far apart. But don't construe my statement in such a wild consternation that you think I'm talking about a light sewing-machine lube and a bucket of tar-sand crude ... Don't be stupid. I am stating that using a lube with a grade slightly different from another won't manifest into tangible wear differences. And as the lube vis increases with use, it is proven to have no effect on wear. THAT is what I'm talking about. You see, the SAE study proves that as vis changes in the same OCI, it has no real effect on wear. And my study proves that in field data, regardless of what vis is chosen, wear rates are generally unaffected. So they proved that wear is not controlled by vis in a lab measurement, and I proved it in macro mass-data. Their results and my result concur with each other. Minor grade variation has absolutely no effect on wear rates. Period.

Now, please understand that I am not a chemist; I cannot explain the fundamental elemental aspects that cause the TBC. I can only regurgitate the info as I read it. But I am a statistical process QC engineer, and I have expertise in analyzing real world data and the application of that info into real, consumable information.

If anyone sees it differently, then please show me where my assertions are contradicted by the SAE study. Show me where my micro and macro study data (evidence in my normalcy article) are flawed, and not supported by the SAE article. Because the way I see it, both my UOA study data and the particle bombardment method used by Ford/Conoco exhibit a direct correlation in results, indicating that the two independent study methods reach the same conclusion; that the TBC controls wear more so than does Vis. They proved it it in the lab; I echo it in the real world data. I do not have the money/time/resources to do their type of scientific analysis, but they probably don't bother with macro field data that I can easily access. Two different roads; same conclusion.

What the SAE study clearly states is in concert with what I tried to explain to the OP in his quest to understand if a 10w-30 is going to be as good as a 5w-40 in regard to wear rates.
- both the SAE study and my data analysis prove that vis has little effect on wear
- both the SAE study and my data analysis show that longer OCIs manifest into lower wear rates
- because the SAE study, and all my UOAs, are real-world, field-based experiments, start-up wear is included in the overall wear data
- the SAE study is able to describe and define the chemical nature of the TBC and how it is affected by the OCI; my data study proves their theory is exhibited in real world results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back