1/2 qt low

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my Jeep Patriot new 3 months ago. It's a 2010 and has the 2.4 (4 cyl) engine mated to a 5 speed. I changed over to synthetic (Penzoil Platnium)at 1800 miles and today I checked the oil and was a 1/2 qt low. I now have 4600 miles, is it normal to lose 1/2 qt within 2800 miles? The first 1800 miles it didn't lose a drop on the factory fill. Could it also be the synthetic oil? Thanks

I think it is not too unusual to use 1/2 to 1 quart of oil during the break in phase with a new engine. Do make sure you are checking the level when the vehicle is level.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think it is not too unusual to use 1/2 to 1 quart of oil during the break in phase with a new engine. Do make sure you are checking the level when the vehicle is level.

+1 Keep an eye on the oil level, the engine still isn't 100% broken in. The truth is if you go back to the dealer they'll probably tell you using a qt of oil every 800-1000 miles is considered normal. That number varies with how much oil you're using. In other words if the car isn't leaking and you're using a qt of oil every 800 miles that would considered normal, if the car was not leaking and using a qt of oil every 1000 miles that would be normal. At about a qt/500 miles they might actually do something for you, if it isn't leaking.

Changing to a different oil can sometimes cause temporary consumption. I had this when I changed over to Mobil 1. At first it used some oil then stopped. The second oil change with Mobil 1 didn't use any oil.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back