0w30??

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the 40 grade goes down to 12.5, so it's comfortably a 40.
To be exactly in the middle of the grade, KV100 would have to be 14.4, so M1 0w40 is in the lower half of the grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: armos
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I might use M1 0w40 on that engine. It's hot viscosity is really only about halfway between a typical 30 and 40 grade.
If you have an oil pressure gauge, use that as a guideline.

It's "hot viscosity", unless it shears, is within the range for a 40 grade oil. That's why it is called 0w-40, not 0w-30.5
wink.gif

Never said the hot viscosity wasn't in spec, but it's well below typical.

Typical as compared to what, an HDEO? It isn't an HDEO, it is a Euro 40, and, not surprisingly, for that type of oil, its viscosity IS typical. PU 5w-40 is 13.2 @ 100 for example.

Quote:
The reason it's not called 35 is because no such spec officially exists.

And here I thought that I was making a joke
crazy2.gif

Quote:
If it did that label would give a more accurate impression of it.

More accurate compared to what? The entire grading system is a joke. Even if we had KV100 numbers listed instead of "grades", there's still HTHS, MRV, CCS....etc. The properties of a lubricant cannot be summarized with a single number. I think we can agree on this point, no?

Quote:
After refreshing my memory with some datasheets I see I was exaggerating about it being halfway between. It's closer to a typical 40 than a typical 30. But it's not a typical 40.
If one is concerned with the viscosity, they should look at the viscosity, not the vague classification it was assigned.
13.5cSt at 100C is lower than any other "40" I've seen a spec for.

Then you haven't been looking at the right "40" weight oils.

Here's PU 5w-40:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007500286_20130123090_5.pdf

13.2 @ 100C

Castrol Edge 0w-40:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4ABA633F17A143FD80257AA90053665B/$File/EDGE%20Professional%20European%20PDS_July_2012.pdf

13.5 @ 100C

Synpower 5w-40:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

13.5 @ 100C (HST)
13.1 @ 100C (MST)

Would you like some more examples?

Fine, so other 0w40 5w40 oils are just as thin. My point was that it's not as thick as it sounds, given that the OP is inclined to a 30. The 40s I was comparing with are commonplace 10w40 conventional oil.
The issue appears to be that synthetics which attempt to cover an aggressive viscosity range, like 0w40 or 5w40, run on the thin end of the spec.

At one time, 5w30 had the same issue as compared to 10w30. I think it's a good thing that this is no longer the case, as it makes the labeling more intuitive where those grades are concerned.

In a perfect world, one should be able to expect that an average 0w40 is the same viscosity at temperature as an average 10w40 or 15w40, but it isn't.
That being the situation, I do think the grading system is misleading in cases like this. But yes, there are other parameters besides the viscosity. I'm not planning to go on a crusade over it, just wanted to mention that the 0w40 isn't as thick as it might sound.

I'm not planning to go on a crusade over it, just wanted to mention that the 0w40 isn't as thick as it might sound.

I find that funny
smile.gif
Not in respect to your thoughts here, but rather that your statement is so much the opposite of the mindset of the general populous that see the "0" and think the oil is "like water", LOL!

I too have always wondered why the "euro" 0w/5w40s were all on the thin end. I thought it may have something to do with some sort of fuel economy target. That is until I looked up Penrite HPR 5w40 which has KV100 at 15.0cst. Its MB229.5 approved. I guess HTHS could still be in the typical 3.6-3.8 range though.

Originally Posted By: supercity
I too have always wondered why the "euro" 0w/5w40s were all on the thin end. I thought it may have something to do with some sort of fuel economy target. That is until I looked up Penrite HPR 5w40 which has KV100 at 15.0cst. Its MB229.5 approved. I guess HTHS could still be in the typical 3.6-3.8 range though.

With a KV100 as high as 15cSt I'd estimate the HTHSV to be at least 4.0cP.

Comparing KV100 spec's of different oils is misleading and a total waste of time since the spec' doesn't tell you accurately how thick an oil is in an operating engine, only HTHSV will tell one that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back