0W20 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
How can 5W-20 be half the price of 0W-20? Answer--one is a conventional and the other a synthetic; care to guess which is which?. Otherwise, all of the major players have them priced the same for the same type--conventional or synthetic.
You often see 0w20 bring a $8 premium on a five quart jug over a 5w20. Same brand, same oil like Magnatec etc. In that case I'd use the 5w20. No big deal. Just a bunch of drama.
I have never seen an $8 (or any difference) between 0W-20 or 5W-20 for the same type and brand of oil. M1, PP, Edge, QSUD, they are all the same price for either viscosity. I am still betting the OP (or the random mechanic) was recommending a conventional or synblend 5W-20 overr a synthetic 0W-20.

Amazon does it all the time and so does Walmart on the 0w20 and 10w30 Mag over the 5w20 and 5w30. Plus only the 0 and 5w20 are the only full syn.

Originally Posted By: loub
I would listen to him if I thought he knew more about Toyota's than Toyota engineers.

I guess manufactures never have their own agenda.
Like Toyota farming out their seats to the Chinese until it did them in and
the sludge motors and so on.

Yeah Toyota is going to recommend an oil that will [censored] up the engine and risk losing their customers.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
I would listen to him if I thought he knew more about Toyota's than Toyota engineers.

Yeah Toyota is going to recommend an oil that will [censored] up the engine and risk losing their customers.
smirk.gif

They already have.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112

smirk.gif

They already have.

Last I checked they're still doing alright. No, they're not perfect but who is? Still the most reliable cars in the world.

How can 5W-20 be half the price of 0W-20? Answer--one is a conventional and the other a synthetic; care to guess which is which?. Otherwise, all of the major players have them priced the same for the same type--conventional or synthetic.
You often see 0w20 bring a $8 premium on a five quart jug over a 5w20. Same brand, same oil like Magnatec etc. In that case I'd use the 5w20. No big deal. Just a bunch of drama.
I have never seen an $8 (or any difference) between 0W-20 or 5W-20 for the same type and brand of oil. M1, PP, Edge, QSUD, they are all the same price for either viscosity. I am still betting the OP (or the random mechanic) was recommending a conventional or synblend 5W-20 overr a synthetic 0W-20.
Amazon does it all the time and so does Walmart on the 0w20 and 10w30 Mag over the 5w20 and 5w30. Plus only the 0 and 5w20 are the only full syn.
I have never seen that at WM. M1 0W-20 is the same as M1 5W-20 (and so on for all of the other oils)--but I suppose each one has its own ability to set pricing differently.

OP,,

Once out of warranty the 0w20 can be used year around with confidence. I run 0w30 in my 7.4 liter 1 ton pulling my loaded 31' camper in 90deg heat all the time, it's a stout oil and can take the heat.

I also use 0w20 in my GF's fusion year around.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would cringe at the thought of a 0w20 oil I'm engine in 97 degree weather sitting in I-4 Ultimate traffic with no air flow. Like they are going to check the oil viscosity on a warranty. Gimme a break. Then people post, my car is using a qt of oil every 3000 miles, well try a oil a heavier than 3 &1 household oil.

+1000.........

I Have used M1 0-20 for years and have sat in 98-109 degree temps with no problems, as have millions of other drivers from Florida to California using 0-20 or 5-20 oils. Your comment doesn't ring true. My engines use no noticeable oil in 10K OCIs.

Last edited:

Because the shelf price indicated $22.98 for the Mobil 1 and $11.88 for the 5 w20 Wally brand both synthetic.

When it's over 90degrees out, a 5w30 is going to do anything a 0w20 does only better. I put Mobil 1 Ow40 in the Ford F150. It ran quieter and lost no fuel mileage from 5w20. Iam going to 10w30 in everything. The last time the Dodge went in for its lifetime warranty 10 year checkup. They didn't even want to see the service records or receipts. They said as long as your changing it, it's covered, we can tell a neglected engine at teardown and thats when there is a question, it's clean inside, no question.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I would cringe at the thought of a 0w20 oil I'm engine in 97 degree weather sitting in I-4 Ultimate traffic with no air flow. Like they are going to check the oil viscosity on a warranty. Gimme a break. Then people post, my car is using a qt of oil every 3000 miles, well try a oil a heavier than 3 &1 household oil.

They may not do a viscosity check, but they may ask to see receipts for the non-dealer oil changes. And these receipts would typically include the oil's brand and viscosity. Maybe they'd make an issue out of it, maybe not. But I'd rather not take on a company with Toyota's resources on my own.

+1 they will do this. I have had my Toyota dealer ask twice to see my log book and receipts for a warranty claim. Once I showed them they said" I wish all of our customers were that diligent about maintenance"

Me too....if my Toyota was air cooled. Now my Triumph motorcycle gets 10w50....BTW I just bought M1 0w20AFE last night...the 5w20 M1 was the same price. The conventional 5w20 is $8 cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 007
Because the shelf price indicated $22.98 for the Mobil 1 and $11.88 for the 5 w20 Wally brand both synthetic.
I am talking about the same brands--not different ones.

Try telling that to my 2010 FX4 with a 5.4L. I towed 8-9,000 pounds in temps up to 115°F or so and after had 100K on it, I extended the OCI to 17K with M1 0W-20 AFE and used less than 1/2 quart between OCs. At 158,000 miles I traded it in having towed that weight for over 70,000 of those 158,000 miles and it still ran perfectly. My UOAs are online for all to see.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How much damage would 10W-30 do to a 2012 Camry in Florida ? Let's talk about that.
35.gif

None, in fact it might do it some good.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Random local mechanics are always the best place to get oil information.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back