0W-20 in old 350 chev = clackety clak clack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those little springs and ball check valves inside the lifters are calibrated for a specific oil viscosity. Your clackety clack is the result of all that oil escaping the lifters. Keep running it like that and you WILL destroy the camshaft.

Turtle,
I don't see how the viscosity of the oil could be doing that.

As it's an experiment, try adding a quart (or two) of Lucas...it will "cling" better during your starts and stops...and bump up the viscosity so that you can be sure the clatter isn't the 0W20...because, I am sure that at luke warm, it's not the 0W20 causing your noise.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In an old school Chevy V8,I'd stick with a 10W30 mineral oil (like the Pennzoil 10W30).

Me too, the last thing I would have ever tried in that engine was a 0W20. I could see a 5W30, instead of a 5W30 or even a 0W30 if you want to think out of the box a little. I would not be starting and running the engine every 2 weeks either. We've had enough discussions about winter storage to know that if you're not going to drive the car during the winter then don't start it at all. OP next winter fill the sump with the specified oil and don't start and run the car if you don't plan on driving it. Your engine will thank you in the long run.

There are other ways to keep mice out. I think that's been discussed here too.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I wanted to start it every week or 2 over the winter and run just a few minutes.

That is terrible for a vehicle. If you can't let the oil get up to temp, don't start it.

^^^ This.

I ran M1 5-20 in the seventies in a Dodge slant 6 that had solid lifters and the engine ran very quite.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I ran M1 5-20 in the seventies in a Dodge slant 6 that had solid lifters and the engine ran very quite.

I didn't go that thin, but I did run M1 5w-30 in a built (~425HP) vintage Ford Y-block in our 1931 Chris-Craft for several years with no odd noises or wear issues.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Turtle,

As it's an experiment, try adding a quart (or two) of Lucas...it will "cling" better during your starts and stops...and bump up the viscosity so that you can be sure the clatter isn't the 0W20...because, I am sure that at luke warm, it's not the 0W20 causing your noise.

I don't think it's the viscosity either. And I don't necessarily think the noise is a problem. I just thought it was interesting. I'm going to stick with the experiment and run this oil for a while without adding anything to thicken it. We may not exceed 70 degrees all summer the way it's been going.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Turtle,

I don't think it's the viscosity either. And I don't necessarily think the noise is a problem. I just thought it was interesting. I'm going to stick with the experiment and run this oil for a while without adding anything to thicken it. We may not exceed 70 degrees all summer the way it's been going.

Man 70 degree summers sound awesome!! Wanna trade summer weather?
smile.gif

Maybe I'm not as smart as i think I am. Started the vette a while ago. Man It made a lifter racket, like I've never heard it do. Only ran it 10 min on idle so I doubt the oil even got to room temp. Just long enough for the t-stat to crack open. It's about 34 deg today.

Valvoline 0W-20 I got on AZ sale last fall.

It's been fine with Pennzoil 5W-30 dyno and syn from Jiffy Lube Bulk. 15W-40 syn from Valvoline oil change with German Castrol make-up oil.

May have to rethink the thin oil bias.

I don't think it's the viscosity either. And I don't necessarily think the noise is a problem.

I would agree. Perhaps that specific brand and viscosity combination is a one of those noisy choices for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back