09 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody..i havent been on this site in a little while now..i got rid of my camaro and bought a 2009 hyundai accent SE 5 speed manual..so far the first 1100 miles have been fine and it seems to be a pretty decent little car. The cap says 5W20 but the manual says 5W30 or 10W30 can be used...im probably gonna run Amsoil 0W20..has anybody had any experience with the motor thats in the accent?? Its a 1.6 liter 4 cyl. Im assuming any of those weights mentioned above would be fine to use but i just wanted to get some of your opinions. thanks guys for any suggestions.

-Travis

We just bought one also. We have the little three door hatchback. It is an awesome little car and we also got the 5 speed manual.

I am opting to change the oil every 6 months, as I doubt my son will exceed the 5,000 mile interval in that time, using the car as a 'school car', only commuting 8 miles a day...back and forth.

At 50 miles, we dumpted the factory fill and put in YB 5w20. Then, the first of October (with 2,000 miles on the odometer), I poured in PP 5w20 for our winter fill. (Because I got the PP on one of those WalMart sales.)

When April rolls around, I plan to pour in M1 0w30 for our summer fill.....and then that will be our oil moving forward.

So to answer your question....I am doing 30wt.

I ran 5w-20 Penn Plat in my Hyundai Sonata 2.4L for the first 40k or so, then went to Mobil EP 5w-20.

Im now on my second run of Mobil 0w-20, and have just put Amsoil 0w-20 in my Scion.

The Amsoil 0w-20 is good stuff so run with it.

My UOA on the Hyundai with PP 5w-20 was stellar, and my Sonata is going to Amsoil 0w-20 when the Mobil comes out.

I have Amsoil ACD in the sump now FYI it qualifies as a 10W30. The Kia owners manual reads a bit different. You can use up to a 20w50 in this engine.

lc8f002a.gif

This one will flip you out!!!!! This is the oil recommendation for the 1.6l, 2001 Accent engine....

The owners manual also says....."NOTE: SAE 5W-20 is not recommended for sustained hlgh speed vehicle operation."

accentoil.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, there is a drastic difference between 5w40 and 10w40. Shouldn't be that much difference.....especially at the higher temps.

Second, isn't this 2001 1.6L engine still the same engine, as is in the 2009? They go from recommending 10w40 to 5w20????

Finally, not supposed to use 5w20 unless it is 14 degrees F or colder?

Yeah....that is radical change.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Why will is flip us out? It's pretty straight forward and similar to the one in my Manual for my Hyundai Santa Fe.

well 10w-30 is apprently only good up to 40 deg C which is worrying for us aussies. gives more weight to my argument to use a 40 weight synthetic.

My oil cap on the Santa Fe is stamped 5w20 and that is what it says in the owners manual. I purchased the set of Technical manuals for my truck and for my cold Canadian Climate it suggests to use 5w30 year round.

We recently purchased a 2.4L Hyundai Sonata.

While the oil cap recommends 5w-20, I decided that I want to ultimately run either 5-30 or 0-30 in this engine. I have heard from many people that this engine runs smoother and quieter with a 30 wt oil.

After my last oil change with YB 5-30, this was confirmed. The engine runs much quieter and smoother.

I think I will eventually use PP 5w-30 after I get a few more miles on it.

My 2.4L Sonata has always purred like a Kitten on 5w-20 and 0w-20 premium syns.

I think the oil matters. My Scion 2.4L was loud as [censored] on startup and first the first few minutes on factory fill and the 5k mile 5w-30 the dealer put in.

Since I put the 0w-20 Amsoil in last weekend, the Scion is VERY quiet when starting and driving while warming up.

Also, if someone is interested, the Hyundai has 67k miles on it now, and does not use (that I can tell) any 0w-20 over 5k miles.

Great car and engine. The 0w-20 in the Sonata is fixing to go to Terry Dyson for an analysis, so Im curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Was there NOT a US auto maker vehicle that was decent enough to buy? Not to offend but with the state of things I could not imagine buying one of those beaters.Just really goes against my grain.

get a life, nothing beater about them. The ignorance of your post would make my true reply break the censor program.

i see you like dodges. Dont care about reliability much???

Last edited:
elwaylite,

Totally agree with you, nothing beater about hyundai vehicles at all.

I purchased a 07 Elantra brand new in 07. 55K miles later and not ONE issue. That's more than I can say for any of my domestics and the 3 Honda's that I have owned. The Hyundai has been a pleasure to own!

Just fed it a steady diet of whatever dino 5w-20 every 3750 miles and a Hyundai filter as per the manual. Trans service has been done @ the dealer. This is for the 100K warranty of course
wink.gif

Only gripe about Hyundai vehicles are their horrible resale value, not going to lie, it stinks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Was there NOT a US auto maker vehicle that was decent enough to buy? Not to offend but with the state of things I could not imagine buying one of those beaters.Just really goes against my grain.

Are you refering to headquartered or built? Hyundai just opened a plant in GA and Kia is in the works for one.

I stand corrected. Its very close to the GA line. I was in GA and considered taking a drive since I had nothing to do during a weekend. Then I found out how far it was going to be from North GA to 'Bama. It was on the Atlanta news when I have been in Athens, GA over the last couple of years.

Looks like the Kia plant will be in GA. Maybe I'll take a ride next year while I'm in Athens again.

https://www.kiajobsingeorgia.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Money still ends up over seas.Not a Dodge fan.But a FAN of OUR economy and way of life.I knew I should not have posted that but It REALLY goes against my grain this day and age.By the way I was with NISSAN 14 years.I was hacked that the cash for clunkers program was able to be used on imports.I was NOT the only one that felt that way.Heard many comments on that subject.I apologise but darn those names Kia,Hyundai and such irk me to know end. I also remember when they were REAL junk not that far back also.PLUS I got a friend not long back from living in Hawaii.He tells of some deep seated prejudices over there by the Japaneses population.I won't get into that but I was shocked at what he and his little girls in grammer school endured and the attitude of the Japaneses to the Americans.I had no idea it was like that in Hawaii.ANYHOW back the OIL forum.

Last edited:
I would check the facts about the impact of having the vehicle built in the US vs just headquartered here. According to the Montgomery Chamber of Commerce Hyundai has created 20,000 jobs and 200 million dollars economic impact for the region. Kia's plant will just across the boarder in GA. Kia is spending 1 billion dollars in the US for its own plant.

http://www.montgomerychamber.com/Page.aspx?pid=765

I shopped the Chevy HHR which is built in Mexico, went with the Mazda5 built in Japan instead. Fords new Fiesta is a Mazda2 in Ford clothing so looks like I picked the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back