09 Ford 5.4 - 5W20 required? Or is 5W30 OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
A few thoughts on warranty:

If one is under warranty, and the dealer suggests using something other than what is specified in the manual will not negate warranty, I would DEMAND it in writing. If the dealership is unwilling to put it in writing, then that should tell you something right there ... Further, a dealership cannot legally commit FORD to anything. If a dealer does put something in writing, it only obligates the dealership, not Ford. Good luck with getting that to happen. Many times I have challenged people behind the counter with this concept; if their belief is so great, put up or shut up. Typically, they shut up. The written word always supercedes the spoken word. A written warranty is a written contract of sorts, and it will always reign over what a guy behind the counter tells you. The limited warranty is not for your protection; it is for the OEMs protection, primarily. A dealer does not have legal authority to manipulate the written warranty from Ford.

If one's vehicle is not under warrnty any longer, there is no risk to the dealer or Ford. The dealer could not care less what happened to your ride at that point, nor could Ford, from a fiscal point of view, because the obligation is over. Verbal statements are only advice at that point, and are not legally binding.

Regarding the engine differences, there are many including the oil system, the variable valve timing, the intake system, etc. At it's core, the block and rotating assembly are same/similar, but many of the lubricated parts have changed over the years.

Regarding viscosity, I don't see a huge risk by using 5w-30, but I would ask a fundemental question ...
If you are going to trust the 5w-20 for 5 years (for the full powertrain warranty period), then why not do some UOAs along the way? After that, you'll have the proof that 5w-20 does a fine job. In fact, I rather doubt that we would see much difference over a large statistical sampling between 5w-20 and 5w-30, in regard to wear. So, some would say "use the 5w-30; it does no harm". But I would ask, "Why use something that is not spec'd, when there is no conclusive proof that thicker is better?" If the 5w-20 is good enough for the first 60k miles, do you think that somehow the engine will magically develop a thirst for thicker oil at 61k miles???

Another thing to ponder is how "performance" can be defined in many different ways. Let's assume, for the sake of the debate, that 5w-30 protects against wear no better or worse than 5w-20 (which is likely). That is not the ONLY thing to consider when choosing a lube. Another thing to consider is the VVT system and its ability to function. Perhaps 5w-30 does protect as well, but it's also possible that the VVT system will not respond as quickly or efficiently with a thicker oil. I don't know this for sure, but I do know that most VVT systems (from many manufacturers) have great success with thinner grades, and rev far higher (Honda, Toyota, Nissan), and yet still have great wear numbers overall. My point is that wear is not the sole deciding factor when choosing a lube; there are other performance issues to view. Which brings me to my next point.

At some point, we can assume a convergence of the use of thinner oils (likely mostly due to CAFE fuel mileage issues) and the constant developmental evolution of equipment. It's the "chicken and the egg" theory here. Did Ford design the new VVT system to be used with lighter grade oil because it was already in use for the concern for mileage, or did the oil get spec'd because a lighter grade promotes better VVT operation? Frankly, I don't think it matters much either way. 5w-20 is spec'd; it works fine, and none of us were privy to the whole log of data that likely went into Ford's decision. I used to work at Ford for 16 years; I can assure you that all large corporate decisions are a compromise of many, many considerations. 5w-20 is spec'd because it provides the best overall conditional response to a multitude of scenarios.

Will using a non-spec'd, slightly thicker oil hurt the engine? Likely not.
Will using a non-spec'd, slightly thicker oil help the engine? Likely not.

Why venture outside the box if there is no reasonable reward for the risk?

01.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
excellent post dnewton ! I dont know why people are still questioning this after ten years of ford specing 5-20 oil,sure maybe the clearances are the same , maybe not but oil pumps, valve trains etc. go through changes also.

to the original poster,use the 5-20 that ford has recomended for the past ten model years, especially in the great white north and forget about the stash of 5-30

+1 Great info guys, it mirrors my feelings on the topic. A lot of research went into the engine design, and oil specs for it. I'd stick with Ford's recommendations. Again JMO

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
You will have phaser problems if you do not use 5W-20!!!

The photon torpedoes will still function fine.

(sorry, had to)

While running a 5W30 would probably not affect the engine, I would run good ol' Quaker State 5W20. We already determined that the new engines run cooler than the 2V motors, so it's already churning 30 wt oil.

dnewton, demarpaint, Zaedock and me in agreement. It's a GOOD day!

To add an even finer edge to some very good points, I would dig out the specs for the 5W30 oil you have stashed, compare the viscosities at 40 and 100C to the 5W20 you use, or are considering using. We often bandy about grades, but you can find that when you look at the actual viscosities, some 5W30 GRADES are not far from some 5W20 VISCOSITIES. Some 5W20s are thick and some 5W30s are thin (and shear thinner) so the net result... not much difference. Anyway, I'm practical enough that if I was in the OP's position with a goodly stash of 5W30, I'd look real hard at ways to use it. As much a proponent I am of 5W20 in the modulars (for the VCT mainly), I also tight enough to push the envelope if I have oil going to waste. Lots of people use 5W30s in the modulars with no apparent problems. Not optimal,maybe, but I suspect it's within the built-in tolerances of the engine.

One way to use that stash would be to blend. How about buying some of the same brand and category (e.g. mineral, syn, syn-blend, whatever) of oil in a 5W20. Add two of those to the 7-quart sump with the rest being 5W30. The add packs would be similar, so the likelihood of additive clash (unlikely anyway) would be low. That would take a upper/middle grade 30 into the low end of 30 and a low grade 30 into a thick 20.

Also, look in the oil additive section, as well as the UOA, and read the posts about MMO in the oil. That seems to reduce viscosity a little without harming the engine one bit. I can't believe I just said that, because I'm not a proponent of additives generally, but I am trying to open the box a little.

Anyway, to the OP, not sure what part of Ohio you are in (me in the NW), depending on what your OCI is, you could certainly go 5W30 in summer and 5W20 in winter if you were worried.

PS-I have an '05 F-150 and run a thick 5W20 in it. Have been monitoring oil temps for a year-plus now. A good part of the time, my oil is not hot enough to be running in the 20 grade and is usually in the 30 grade based on temp/viscosity charts. In winter, it takes about 15 miles of steady driving to bring the oil temp up to a steady max (abased on ambient temp... when in the 30s F ambient, oil temp usually runs at about 185-190F max).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Also, look in the oil additive section, as well as the UOA, and read the posts about MMO in the oil. That seems to reduce viscosity a little without harming the engine one bit. I can't believe I just said that, because I'm not a proponent of additives generally, but I am trying to open the box a little.

shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
Keep this post in the archives as no one will ever believe it.
grin2.gif

I have a Jeep Patriot, calls for 5w20 as well, but surprisingly after some questioning (on another board) Chrysler has approved 5w30 in writing for Canada, the UK, and even 5w40 for the Netherlands. All the exact same engine.
In the US however the reply has been consistant...."5w30 may void your warranty". I don't know if CAFE is the reasoning as it only applies to the US, or if supply is the case in the UK and Netherlands. No problem getting 5w20 in Canada though.
I look at how I use the Jeep and I do run 5w20 in the winter, I don't tow, and it rarely gets up to full operating temp. In the summer it's 5w30 as I think it's better for the engine when I'm towing my ATV (under load) and some of the hot summer days I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

I used to have the same mentality towards 5w20. But as everyone has mentioned, it's proven.

I believe Johnny said that the 500,000 4.6 motor in the Schaeffer's tear down video may have been run on the 5w20 flavor. I would love to get 500,000 out of my engine!

There are many others with high miles as well, all on 5w20.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
The wife got 30 extra miles out of the last tank. This dingy broad lets the gauge get down to when the light turns on......[censored] me off
I do that too.

Guys... First I would like to thank all of you for your varied but knowledgeable input. I appreciate all your points of view immensley! And all your differeing perspectives are considered equally. Thanks to all of you.

Yes, in my previous post, I did mention the idea of blending my own oil. I will do that, but it will be much in lower concentrations... Something like 1 qt 5W30 to 6qt 5W20 blends or less. from your discussions, I'm gathering the 30 isn't drastically far off from the 20 to begin with, so maybe the blend will be closer to a 5W21 or 22.

This may be an easier path than to sell the 5W30 at a loss, with no considerable or noticeable loss of engine life or causing future VCT issues. I'm going to have the truck for a long time and usually sell them when in the 350-400000 km range, and I bet I could use up all the 5W30 without harm over the life of the truck even if I used it at such low ratios like half qt 5W30 to 6.5 qt 5W20 ratios.

One more... I will exclusively use 5W20 in the winter. I will reserve the blend for the non-winter months only.

I did not raise the original question only for the purpose of trying to use something based on a belief that thicker viscosities are better, that is simply not true. Just trying to use up oil I own without lifespan losses.

I do believe the engine manufacturer's recommendations are trustable and proveable, and I have never had a reason other than already owning a substantial supply that I was looking for a way to use up instead of selling at a lower price than I paid just to get rid of it... It would end up being very expensive oil that I never used! LOL

Also, I am not trying to pull a fast one on factory warranty in any way. My goal was not to buck the system, only to use up perfectly good paid-for oil rather than have it turn into a loss. If my ATV called for 30 weight oil, I could've used it there but the amount of oil I have on hand would probably outlast the ATV's lifespan and it calls for a 40 weight anyway. So the van is the only thing I have where there is a chance to use the oil I already own. Boats & snowmobiles are 2 stroke, no use for the oil there either.

The acronym MMO has popped up a few times, and since I'm a total newbie I will ask for your assistance on this one as I do not always have the luxury of time surfing this forum while at work.

Yes, I could search for MMO, and I'm sure it will bring up hundreds or more results, but I would like to ask a favour of you... If someone can either post a quck explanation here or post a link to a topic where I can zero in on the exact specifics of what MMO is without having to filter through countless topics only to be discover the water maybe too muddy to see clearly. There has to be one post somewhere that summarizes and educates efficiently.

Hitzy, I see you're close by in the Ottawa area... I also haul my ATV (& snowmobiles, boats) around too so the extra load is worth concern. But I'm not worried, because I think the way I'm going to solve my over-abundant oil dilemma is to do the low 30 to high 20 blends.

I live near Buckhorn Ontario, in the Kawartha region... Have you ever ridden your ATV in our area? What brand/model of ATV do you have? Just curious. I'm an Admin/Mod at ArcticChat.com and if you own an ArcticCat, please visit. I'm AG on there. This forum wouldn't allow me to register with less than three alph-numeric characters, so I just used AGLT instead.

Thanks again to everyone, for all your informative posts. With your insights, I've come to the conclusion I can use up the oil on hand in small quantities per oil change throughout the life of the van without problems. And yes, I will stay 100% 5W20 in the winter months.

You guys are great. Really. I appreciate your points of view, your knowledge, etc. I only wish the opportunity can come some day where I can contribute as well, to 'give back' to the community.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I used to have the same mentality towards 5w20. But as everyone has mentioned, it's proven.

I believe Johnny said that the 500,000 4.6 motor in the Schaeffer's tear down video may have been run on the 5w20 flavor. I would love to get 500,000 out of my engine!

There are many others with high miles as well, all on 5w20.
It would depend how you care for the engine and more important how much the car is driven ,doing a 200 mile commute will do wonders for the engine life.

My workplace had an E350 work van with 330K miles on it.
5W-20, and those vans towed big trailers regularly.

(These were WORK vans. Always full of welders and sheet steel. Often towing trailers full of heavy commercial kitchen equipment.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back