'08 Range Rover rear diff- long plug

D60

First, I'm an idiot. Let's get that out of the way.

Now, I was just trying to verify fluid level in the rear diff of an '08 Range Rover Sport. I thought the fill plug was on the front, but it's a pin of some sort.

Here's a vid of a guy who made the same mistake:

You don't need to watch; screenshot:
Screenshot_20240427_131223_YouTube.jpg

As one of the commenters on the vid said, just wondering if I allowed anything to drop or dislocate? I didn't hear anything, although that proves little.

It would appear the video commenter and video author didn't suffer ill effects.

Here we see why white trash like myself shouldn't be allowed to touch fancy imports.....

It’s a sixteen year old Range Rover product, the fact that it still runs and drives, you are already coming out on top!

Kidding aside, I’m curious what that is for. I didn’t watch the video but maybe someone here has an idea.

It appears that the only thing that guy has going on is his accent.

Here's the procedure for your benefit if you haven't already accomplished the task. Note that you do not check the fluid level by removing the plug. You must drain the old fluid and refill with the specified amount of fluid in order to ensure the correct amount is installed.

1714247819059.jpg

1714247872046.jpg

It appears that the only thing that guy has going on is his accent.

Here's the procedure for your benefit if you haven't already accomplished the task. Note that you do not check the fluid level by removing the plug. You must drain the old fluid and refill with the specified amount of fluid in order to ensure the correct amount is installed.

View attachment 216380
View attachment 216381
Thanks, got the procedure. The thread is just about what the pin actually does

I think it is the electronic reduction gear shaft or one of the small gear shafts used in the electronic locking mechanism. I have seen this before somewhere but I have no idea where or when but it was long ago. Make sure the electronic locking is still fully functional.

Reactions: D60
That's interesting. I have an old Saturn with an Aisin AF automatic transmission that has a "don't remove this unless you're rebuilding the unit because unscrewing it will allow an internal part to disengage". Wisely they put a 5-sided head on the screw in fastener.

Back