05 Legacy GT - PP 10w30 3775 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 LGT 5EAT at Stage 2 power levels
Moderate to hard driving. 90% city driving.
Miles on car: 65K
Miles on oil: 3775
Oil filter: Purolator
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum 10w30
Click for full size

Daily driven during the whole winter pretty much.
Used exclusively BP gasoline, premium 91 octane.
No additives.
Strange spike in copper.
There are 3 different runs on the included UOA. Look at the dates. The top latest is this PP in question, the one next in the middle is GC 0w40 and the bottom is M1 5w30.

I'm suspecting a leaky injector and high copper due to cold viscosity. Thoughts? The car has been run to redline occasionally but never stepped on when cold.
I don't like the TBN and flashpoint.

Last edited:
I think you meant spike in 'lead', not copper. Copper looks good.

I'm not sure what could cause the lead spike. Wait for the wiser to respond on that. Could it be a lab error since everything else looks good, well other then flash.

Last edited:
hmm...what's with the low flash? There's some fuel, but that flash is really low imho.

When I used to change the oil on my 05 GT the drain oil would always stink of fuel, no CEL's however. Stage I. Me thinks the turbo Subies run pig-rich.

Fuel dilution certainly does decimate an oil's ability to lubricate, doesn't it?

PP seems to be a poor choice for a couple of my vehicles with high fuel dilution. Pb wear seems to double/triple compared to GC and Schaeffers #703 in them. Your data shows GC to be a better choice in your vehicle too. Terry may be able to help you with your fuel MAPing and fuel selection with additives though. I suspect he'll steer you to a different oil too.

Fish - You know my comments on LGT.com on this UOA. I'm thinking you need to switch to something like M1 0w40 (maybe a winter oil?), Rotella T 5w40 synth, RLI 5w40...

You are not so ridiculously tuned that you shouldn't be able to run synthetics for 5000 miles without a concern. And here you are with PP 10w30 showing signs of not really holding up to 3300 miles.

I did the analysis on Legacygt.com....his lead is 4x higher PPM/Mile in the latest UOA vs. previous. And this was his shortest run to date.

I'm not used to the sensitivity of Dyson's analyses, being a blackstone man myself, but I think a more robust oil would give you a happier ending :)

Joe

I have the same fuel smell with my Subaru. For what its worth I recently switched from a fill of PP 5-30 to Rotella Syn. 5-40 and it seems to run a bit smoother overall. PP is good but it has appeared that Subarus like thicker oils such as GC or Rotella.

Being that your at stage II already have you though of having your car pro tuned to help lean things up some?

Energy Conserving oil generally don't do so well in Subie turbo's, especially running modifications. Let us know what the oil recommendation is.

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back