'05 Explorer or '06 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
How come you guys keep calling them Exploders? I hope there's no truth in that. Reminds me of the saying, there's a little bit of truth in every joke.
smile.gif

I called it an Exploder? That is what I normally called it

Firestone explosive tread issues (happened to me on a non-explorer) is one common reason, mixed reliability was another but mine was good... not Toyota good but by Ford's standards, it was a champ.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Mazda6 wagon sold only 11 (eleven)

Seriously!? There's one in my neighborhood. At the time, I liked the wagon and hatch.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: strat81

The other 95% of driving is fine with a sedan. But that 5% made the decision for us.

I never quite got that logic. (Not trying to be rude, apologizes if it comes off that way).

I can understand if it is a weather-related issue with AWD and 5% of the trips (if that) during winter, but the capacity? I just do not get why one would pay for all the extra capacity for only a few trips a year.

I'm the same way. 95% of the time I'm fine with my sedan, the other 5% is why they make roof racks and rocket boxes.

The last time I strapped the kids to the roof, the wife got angry. She did not find it amusing when I asked if she wanted to switch places with them.
wink.gif

How come you guys keep calling them Exploders? I hope there's no truth in that. Reminds me of the saying, there's a little bit of truth in every joke.
smile.gif

Is it because of the fire issues they had? Can't remember the years,but the cruise control module would randomly catch fire and the entire car would go down in flames.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
smile.gif

Is it because of the fire issues they had? Can't remember the years,but the cruise control module would randomly catch fire and the entire car would go down in flames.

Explorer and Exploder are such close terms that the car could have run on water and it would have still gotten the moniker. All it would take is one detractor and the name would have stuck.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Sounds like the Exploder might have a few issues.
Do you like to drive? Do you do enough miles normally to worry about mileage?
Yes and yes for me, so I took the wagon option for 2 kids as I like driving a manual and need decent mileage. If you want something more substantial than a Focus, you might like a Mazda6, or a Passat or Jetta wagon. They were all availabe with a manual as well if you care.

Indy,
quick note:
Mazda6 wagon sold only 11 (eleven) in US. 3 are going around Chicago area....(2 black and a purple)
not sure how many with stick/manual
also little known pretty cheap dog: Ford Freestyle aka folvo neither wagon neither CUV with 6-7 chairs

...and all 11 Mazda6 wagon owners will not part with them.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Sounds like the Exploder might have a few issues.
Do you like to drive? Do you do enough miles normally to worry about mileage?
Yes and yes for me, so I took the wagon option for 2 kids as I like driving a manual and need decent mileage. If you want something more substantial than a Focus, you might like a Mazda6, or a Passat or Jetta wagon. They were all availabe with a manual as well if you care.

Indy,
quick note:
Mazda6 wagon sold only 11 (eleven) in US. 3 are going around Chicago area....(2 black and a purple)
not sure how many with stick/manual
also little known pretty cheap dog: Ford Freestyle aka folvo neither wagon neither CUV with 6-7 chairs

...and all 11 Mazda6 wagon owners will not part with them.
crackmeup2.gif

one of the black wagons in chicago changed at least 2 hands/owners in the past year...

That generation of Explorer can be real hit or miss. I've seen them running pretty good with 300K on them, and I've seen ones that needed a trans or timing chains (yes, plural) long before that point.

The trans is hard to service. No dipstick, you check fluid level and fill it from a special plug in the bottom of the pan...weird setup, and not DIY friendly. With maintenance, they are reliable. The problem is the vast majority will NEVER have the fluid changed.

As for the timing chains...the rattle may have been fixed by '05, but it could definitely affect an '02-'03...and basically you're just better off putting a new engine in if it happens because it's such a big job. You have a chain at the front and a chain at the back, so the engine must come out to service. Unless it has been perfectly maintained, a new engine is the best bet on these models.

Another issue is the thermostat housing. It's a big chunk of plastic with a radiator hose and a smaller hose that goes to the water pump, and some ports for sensors. They tend to leak after a while. You'll see telltale stains all over the housing and possibly coolant pooled up on the lower intake manifold. Not major, but it is aggravating. The little hose is a [censored] to get in place when doing the repair.

Other than that, these are mostly just affected by fit/finish issues. The body color plastic panel on the upper part of the tailgate is prone to cracking. I've seen a couple with poor gear selector adjustment, dead interior electronics, and other annoyance issues. They aren't really any better or worse than a Trailblazer or Durango from the same period.

Altimas from that time are actually pretty good. Once they fixed the pre-cat destruction problems, they got pretty reliable. For some reason they tend to wear out the serp belt quickly, and Nissan fit/finish in the mid 2000s was a little behind some other makes, but not horrible.

If I were in this situation, I'd go buy a '96-'01 Explorer 5.0 and call it a day. 5.0 with GT40 heads + solid 8.8 rear axle on leafs + Ranger frame = win. Who cares about miles/age? Plus, 14 years from now your daughter can be rocking a 302 Ford whether she wants to or not, rather than some boring car.

I love my '04 Altima 2.5S but, I am aware of it's gremlins, though I haven't experienced the bad issues such at the Front Cat falling apart! I have changed out my Cam & Crank Position Sensors with the new/improved versions due to the CEL coming on and with the code# stating so. All has been fine since.

I have also taken care of the 3 recalls pertaining to my specific model/year(Intake Manifold Screw, Cam Timing update/Reflash & the Rear Suspension/Subframe replacement).

I do have a(summer time ONLY- longish hot restart). But, I just cycle the key 2-3 times before starting the engine and it works flawlessly. And the engine doesn't do this all the time. Could be Fuel Pump or Relay or injectors leaking down. But, this only happeds on Hot/Humid days and never in the cooler days or months.

And I do a the notible automatic tranny shift flare. But, this time, only in the winter months and I can usually control this flaring by driving easy til the drivetrain is warmed up in which, the flare disapears.

Yes, these are two very important issues/problems! Both issues have been happening for several years and this may happen forever! I could drive the car this way until the rest of the car becomes rusty and falls apart. Or, it could explode today
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back