02 Honda ATF "nursing transmission along"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 02 Honda Accord with the classic second gear slip when it shifts. The only time you can feel a slip/shutter is when coming to a stop, and not stopping completely, then starting back. I changed the transmission fluid doing three flushes this summer using OEM ATF, checking today and it is already getting dark...so not paying the top price of OEM ATF I used Maxlife today, just one flush as of now, I have enough for two more flushes. I don't expect the Maxlife to fix anything, I'm just trying to get the most of whats left out of it, car has 140K on it. Anything on the local part store shelf that would be better than Maxlife for this ? I even tried the transmedic, with no help, so I plan to nurse it along as long as possible. The magnetic drain plug was coated with black gunk, not a gob, still a nice coating, almost a sludge like. Any pointers, hints, etc would be appreciated.

Is this a 4 cylinder or a 6? I installed a Magnafine on my 01' Accord to try to keep the OE tranny intact. These 6th generation Accords are known for poor A/T's. 140K is actually very good for the original transmission.

PS: A Magnafine filter, trans cooler and Redline D4 fluid are the best way to protect these poorly designed transmissions IMO.

It is the 4 cylinder 2.3 liter V-TEC engine, Pablo any local place I might find Lubegard ? If not, I may give it a shot ordering it online. hate2work I may try the ARX, although I don't think it is a sludge/dirt issue causing it, it may be, the sludge was just the way I was trying to describe the wear particle coming from the magnetic drain plug, I assume it was part of the clutch. It's a outstanding car all around other than this small problem, and what really bothers me if I do have it rebuilt, I'm not sure how long it will last, so I made up my mind to nurse it along as long as I can, besides it in no way effects daily driving, as I commute about 100 miles a day back/forth to work. The ARX sounds like a good idea, and after that the Lubegard. I ask for opinions, and I appreciate them so please don't take this wrong, however do you think the Redline will/would have provided more protection as to prevent this problem ? I'm going to go with Redline as of now, as I already dismissed the OEM ATF because of price, and how fast the fluid became dark, however when I do have the transmission rebuilt, or purchase another one, I may look into Redline.

i am not a fan of z1 but could it be it darkend quick because of the slip in second (shift flare).

what does z1 cost at the dealer?

around here maxlife cost $5 a quart. mike

I would add a bottle of Lucas Transmission additive and keep a second one on hand to add as well. If you can cushion the parts and increase the sealing and apply forces you might extend the life of the trans. WHen the wifes Buick acted up I tried ARX,LC20,Trans Medic etc.......The only thing that ended up working for me was adding a large bottle of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer int he 32 once bottle. I added the entire thing in steps. I added half then drove the car and it was a lot better so I added the other half and it was good to go. You have to make sure the engine is running as you add the stuf so it mix's in. I ended up getting 20,000 more miles out of her transmission before I had to replace it.

Oh and I had drained and refilled that thing a good 8 times over before tring the Lucas. Since I had already had a seal swelling agent in their int he form of the Transmedic prior to drain and refill and fresh filter I decided that regular Lucas would work just fine because I was just trying to thicken the fluid. It worked like a charm when nothing else did!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I would spend the dough for one bottle of Lubegard black. If that doesn't help, no juice will fix it.

+1 no atf will fix it.

If I remember correct the Honda ATF was close to $9 a quart, and I checked online, and again I recall it would cost me nearly as much shipping etc as it would getting reamed at local dealership. The also wallowed me out good on the coolant, however that should last much longer. I don't blame the Honda ATF becoming dark so soon on the fluid, I have read it's good stuff, then read it's not so good, however most recommend it if your transmission is not giving any problems.. I also had a 97 accord factory fill never changed with 240k on it, never any transmission problems, and it's still not giving any problems!! Thanks for the tips, and I always give advise against what I'm asking for, I know for sure you can't fix a mechanical problem with a fluid, not that I have ever seen, and I'm a Machine/Chronic Technician by trade, however I'm just looking to nurse it along as far as I can. It has been doing this for a good 15k already, however I have not noticed the fluid becoming dark so fast, I hope that's not a bad a sign as I think it is, I will say the maxlife stinks like rank tant.. maybe that's the good stuff I'm smelling.

Lucas will thicken the fluid. Usually the additional ATF pressure and fluid film thickness will buy you time. I would use the Lucas 1st!

Lubegard black/red/platinum will help if you need a little cleaning and seems to help the seals also. But, sounds to me like you might have a hard component failure, and not simple like a tired or worn seal(which Maxlife would've addressed).

At your next drain/refill, add 2 bottles of Lucas snot and top off with the Maxlife.

Ok one more question, I know this crosses over to the filter section, however is there a easy, cheap, good ( I know you can pick one, but not two of the three) inline type filter or other filter I could add to my transmission to help in keeping it clean ? I have run one change of Maxlife, and maybe some improvement, as far as normal shifts it feels much better, still have the second gear shift issue, however not as bad. Awhile back I removed two elbows with screen filters, and they both had sludge/scum in them, I found this on a Honda forum that said it was a thing to check. However these elbows/screens are one more pain to get to, I was thinking if there is a quick easy, and most important reliable inline filter I could add on I would like to do that. I'm not looking so much into filtering magnetic particles, more of a catch all type element that would provide a easy drain port, I already have a drain plug, but killing two birds with one stone by changing filter, and a 3 quart fluid change would be nice. Names, links, experience would be really helpful.

on edit...should have read the post over again, I may invest in the magnefine filter, $16 is not to bad, I need to look at my lines, and see what part to order, unless someone already has the part number !!
Thanks, Clint

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my 99 acura TL. I flushed it with amsoil ATF about 10K ago. It improved slightly but is now back to where it started. I just put 6 oz's of ARX in it 300 miles ago just to see what I would get. WOW.... In only 100 miles it is much better. Only time will tell if this continues to improve. I will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back