0 activity on Facebook for 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
I feel the same way, I love staying connected with friends and family that live far away, it's so great for that! But I also hate the political rants, I wish there was a way for me to filter it out so I don't see it! (other than hiding the feed from the people that constantly post political stuff that is)

I block the political stuff for the most part. You can block the source from where your friend shared. I have even done it for the political posts I agree with, gets tiresome real fast.

Originally Posted By: Al
I love it. I keep in touch with friends of 50+ years ago..HS classmates and work fiends. About 6 months ago I got a note from a girl who was my best friend til I moved away. Hadn't been in touch with her for over 50 years.

Many that down FB don't realize you can make it as public or private as you want. You can make it so that only your close friends see your posts and vice versa.

To each his own.
smile.gif

THIS^^^^I feel the same way you do. It's great! If you want ultimate privacy. Stay off the Internet completely. Then of course you have all the different retail merchants club cards, discount cards, loyalty cards, etc., that track all your purchases. Maybe-I will make me a tin foil hat....

Those who make it their entire lives need professional help, but I certainly appreciate it as an outlet for the inner narcissist.

I constantly get emails asking if I know such and such, because I'm pretty sure good ole mark gets paid everytime I log on, so I don't hardly even get on anymore. It's pretty similar to keeping up with the Jones' if you ask me. People will add you as their friend just so they can up their friend count. I have probably 150 girls on their who I've never even conversed with. They add me and then I don't hear from them afterwards when I ask how they are. etc.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I never had a Facebook, LinkedIn, etc..., account.

Zero need for any crazy physco drama and one upping.

Wouldn't LinkedIn be a good place to point out those $22/hr medical equipment jobs rather than BITOG? JMO.

We have 2 opening: one in Palm Beach and the other in Ft Lauderdale area. $26 an hour starting with benefits.

I post them on BITOG cause lots of people like to turn wrenches and like electronics. Local candidates is always better cause BITOG has the best members... some might be looking for work.

Originally Posted By: xshoex
I only use it to find out what's going on news wise, while out and about.

I never knew Facebook had it's own News site. Both national and localized?
Normally I use Detroit News for mostly local and USA Today for national-only news. I live outside of Detroit, but the Macomb Daily (near my home) is one of the worst newspapers in the history of newspapers. It's online homepage is full of articles that are a week-old.

Last edited:
I've never felt the need to join Facebook, or any of the other Social Media websites. I already feel like I spend too much time here and on a couple other websites as it is.

I keep in touch with family, friends and colleagues, through the antiquated phone call.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
But yet you posted on BITOG ...
lol.gif

Reading is fundamental.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I already feel like I spend too much time here and on a couple other websites as it is.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
But yet you posted on BITOG ...
lol.gif

Reading is fundamental.

I already feel like I spend too much time here and on a couple other websites as it is.

bitog is a pretty cool place to hang out. Where else can you go to get a broad and diverse opinion on a number of subjects? Some of the rabbit trails that some threads take can be illuminating.

Was a member for a year or two. Maybe posted 2 or 3 times. Got many email notifications each day when one of my school chums posted some nonsense, much of it political (some of which I even agree with). Never got anything out of it so I quit and do not miss it.

Duck faced, skin smoothed, face reshaped selfies with thirsty dudes making comments. Pictures of dogs. Videos of bad things happening in third world countries. Notification that another friend is dead. Politics. Facebook is horrible

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Duck faced, skin smoothed, face reshaped selfies with thirsty dudes making comments. Pictures of dogs. Videos of bad things happening in third world countries. Notification that another friend is dead. Politics. Facebook is horrible

So... reality? This is the current world we live in.

No FB, LI, MS here either. What's sad (and pathetic) is, extended family used to communicate via email at least. Then the women got addicted to FB (crack) and that was it. You had to sign up, just to keep in touch. They just can't stop (nor control) themselves.

Duck-faced is right! What an excellent discriptor!
crackmeup2.gif

I remember when LI was being "pushed" with a job group I visited. "You should sign up, start linking/liking/posting your WHOLE RESUME...then do the same on FB..." Just madness. Mass Group-think delusion/desperation took over and people were comparing their links/likes. I asked "What does that really mean? Who is benefiting here? Again, why should I do this? Volunteer ALL of my personal information & connections? Are you out-of-your-mind?"

Reminded me of 1984 and Atlas Shrugs

People really ought to stop and ask themselves why they should blindy follow the newest Pied Piper. Remember when your parent asked you "So if Johnny jumps off a bridge/plays on the freeway, are you going to?"

America's awash in weak-minded fools in our current society.

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum.

Truer words were never spoken....

A good read:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

7 Ways to Be Insufferable on Facebook

The memory is vivid.

New Year’s Day, 2013. I’m going about my afternoon pleasantly, when I open my email and a friend has forwarded me what she calls a particularly heinous Facebook status from her news feed, written by someone we’ll call Daniel. It read:

2012 was a biggg year for me. I left my amazing job at NBC to move back to Chicago. I started dating my angel, Jaime Holland. I started yoga (thanks Jake Fisher & Jonah Perlstein!). I wrote an album with Matthew Johannson. Wrote another album I’m proud of. I got to hang with Owen Wilson, and worked with Will Ferrell on an amazing project. Had a conversation about Barack Obama with David Gregory. Danced. Joined a kickball team. Won a couple awards. Helped my sister plan her summer trip. Swam a lot. Golfed a little. Cried more than you would think. Read The World According to Garp. Saw Apocolypse Now. Went to Miami for the NBA Finals. Drank the best orange juice I’ve ever had with Davey Welch. Tweeted. Went to amazing weddings in Upstate New York. Drank a ridiculous amount of milk. Learned how to make sand art. Saw a great light show. Saw the Angels and Lakers. Fell in love with Jawbone Up. Cooked with Jaime. Gardened with Jaime. Watched Homeland with Jaime. Wrestled with Jaime. Laughed for hours with Jaime. Fell in love with Jaime’s family. Worked on a play. Played World of Warcraft. Did some improv. Played a ton of the guitar. Really just had a wild, amazing year. What a world.

By the time I finished reading, I realized that my non-phone hand was clutching tightly to my forehead, forcefully scrunching my forehead skin together. I had the same facial expression I’d have on if someone made me watch a live event where people had their skin slowly peeled off.

It was everything bad about everything, all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back