Uoa millers nanodrive cfs 5w40 ,high iron ej207

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a jdm Version 8 sti 2.0 turbo motor in my 02 wrx, it's a different one than was in the earlier reports because of a flood. It has around 40,000 miles . 7,311 miles on this oil. The car doesn't use any oil. Not sure what's up. I also have a water/meth injection system. I
QV+fh-tD_original.jpg
am running a Crawford air/oil separator system to keep any blowby out of the intake with capped Pcv valve .

What were the previous fills on the previous vehicle? Is it the same year/make/model?

What air-filter have these two cars been using?

Last edited:
The 40,000 miles on the others was a mistake from before. I'm running a stock airbox and stock air filter

No the other model was a 2002 motor with factory forged pistons. This motor is a 2003 motor with factory hypereutectic pistons . The motor looked brand new when I got it ,

you should definitely not run a turbo wrx for that much of an oci. do it at 5k MAX.

Not sure how long on a pallet. I was going for a longer oci to see how the oil would hold up

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 666stars
Not sure how long on a pallet. I was going for a longer oci to see how the oil would hold up

So how many changes have you done on this specific engine?

Change the PCV valve and go no longer than 5K LOF changes with 5W-30 in the winter and 0W-40 oil in the summer.

I've done about 4 oil changes on this motor, the previous oil used was pennzoil ultra euro 5w40. I'm not using a Pcv on this engine because of my air/oil separator

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
The wear should be settling down after four oil changes. Were you using water/meth and an AOS on the last motor? Are you protuned? What were the driving conditions? Maybe contact 67King in this thread and see what he has to say:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2727400

I would probably purchase a Blackstone oil pump and sample at 5k before extending the OCI.

-Dennis

I was using water/meth on the last motor and an AOS as well. I was tuned conservatively with opensource . I drive about 38 miles to work , and I don't boost before oil pressure comes up . I have a stack oil pressure gauge, aem wideband as well . I did use a zerosports oil filter which has a magnet inside

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I'd run this oil again and do a UOA at 5k like they suggest but leave the fill in and wait for results. You need a few tests before you can spot a trend and this is the first UOA for this engine.

The higher wear metals could also be from the esters found in this high dollar oil you are using.

Esters are very polar and tend to "suck" extra metal out of the engine. People see higher wear metals all the time on here the first time they use Redline. And then by the 2nd or 3rd OC, the wear metals are back to normal because all the nooks and crannies found in an engine have been washed clean by the ester-based oil.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
People see higher wear metals all the time on here the first time they use Redline. And then by the 2nd or 3rd OC, the wear metals are back to normal because all the nooks and crannies found in an engine have been washed clean by the ester-based oil.

+1 to this. Run the same oil for three-fills and do at least one UOA on each to see the trend. This will get you the best result for your money. By this time you should have narrowed-in on the optimal runtime for this oil in your application.

With a TBN of 3.3 I'm sure you can go much longer before a change-out is needed.

Last edited:
Do you have a check valve in place of the old PCV? I was trying to picture what your catch can setup looked like with a "blocked PCV valve"?

I have used this oil as well in a Shelby GT500 though I only went 2000 miles on minesince it was the first time using this oil I wanted to see how it did before I went my standard 4,000 miles. I actually just mailed my sample off today and will post the results here when I get it back nest week.

I have heard great things about this oil and I don't think you can go by one UOA for a motor that you really know nothing about, also like another poster said 7,000 miles is probably too long in a boosted motor. I would go 5,000 miles or 6 months max for any oil in a performance motor.

The higher wear metals could also be from the esters found in this high dollar oil you are using.

Esters are very polar and tend to "suck" extra metal out of the engine. People see higher wear metals all the time on here the first time they use Redline. And then by the 2nd or 3rd OC, the wear metals are back to normal because all the nooks and crannies found in an engine have been washed clean by the ester-based oil.

How does an ester based oil "suck" metal from an engine? UOA of first 2 RL changes after dealer dino fills http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...976#Post2832976

No metal "suck" here.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

How does an ester based oil "suck" metal from an engine? UOA of first 2 RL changes after dealer dino fills http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...976#Post2832976

No metal "suck" here.
wink.gif

Right and Millers is a PAO oil with 10-15% maximum ester content.

The other comment I'd make is that this is a very heavy oil (HTHSV 4.4cP), much heavier than T6 5W-40 and slightly heavier than M1 5W-50 although it did experience 20% viscosity loss.
I'm wondering if this oil is too heavy. Does the OP have oil pressure and/or oil temp' gauge installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back