Millers NanoDrive - Just how good is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

So I saw this Millers Nanodrive stuff. Apparently it contains some special additive that significantly reduces friction inside the engine to improve power and MPG.

https://www.millersoils-shop.co.uk/cfs-5w40-nt-plus-engine-oil

Here is a review of the stuff by a magazine called "fast car"
https://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/millers-nanodrive-test/

Both cars apparently received a power and torque output increase from just the oil change.

Has anyone else used this oil? Did you notice any difference? How is the longevity of it?

Thanks,
Jack

Hahaha I am not expecting it to be better than most normal oils if I am honest. Just want to hear personal experiences from it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jtaylor2005
Hahaha I am not expecting it to be better than most normal oils if I am honest. Just want to hear personal experiences from it
smile.gif

Well, you got dyno tests which appear to show some minor overall improvements (though also some top-end loss. I wonder which they would have emphasised if it had been the other way around?).

Nothing really on reproducability, which is critical, and Halfords own isn't a comparable boutique product, but its still more than you're likely to get from an anecdotal user-experience, unless it goes black and your engine seizes if you double the use to, say, an hour.

Do you have a turbocharged big boost pushing horsepower automobile?

Too much scientific verbiage there and a hole in one's wallet.

I'd rather run MAG 1 FMX.

Last edited:
It might be good for its stated purpose which is low friction in racers. Street oils are designed to try and cover all the requirements adequately.

Royal Purple has made similar claims in the past. In fact, there are a ton of "dyno tests" on Youtube showing a bunch of oils "making more power", I wouldn't read much into that claim.

If the product meets the requirements for your application and you can procure it at a reasonable price then I don't see a reason not to give it a try. I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it otherwise.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Royal Purple has made similar claims in the past. In fact, there are a ton of "dyno tests" on Youtube showing a bunch of oils "making more power", I wouldn't read much into that claim.

If the product meets the requirements for your application and you can procure it at a reasonable price then I don't see a reason not to give it a try. I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it otherwise.

well said
thumbsup2.gif
10.gif

When I were a lad around the turn of the century, I used to read Car Craft magazine. They discussed how stock class drag racers would change their synthetic motor oil after a very short time (like one or two passes) because it gave them a temporary 5-10hp but that would go quickly under use. I think it was RP too, must have gotten pricey but they probably used that used oil in other vehicles.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
When I were a lad around the turn of the century, I used to read Car Craft magazine. They discussed how stock class drag racers would change their synthetic motor oil after a very short time (like one or two passes) because it gave them a temporary 5-10hp but that would go quickly under use. I think it was RP too, must have gotten pricey but they probably used that used oil in other vehicles.

This company floods the place with those tests...

Millers make good quality oils and have historically never used marketing gimics, have Millers themselves actually stated power gains or is this just other parties claims (I remain sceptical of any meaningful gains, no matter the source) ?

From http://performanceracingoils.com/about-nanotech/ - fullerene c60

Quote:
Nanotechnology is rooted in a 60 atom sphere called a "Buckey Ball" that looks like a soccer ball at the amotic level. With conventional lubricant, tiny microscopic asperities on the metal's surface slide against each other and break apart. These asperities can be protected by nanoparticles, which act like billions of ball bearings to fill the gaps and make a more uniform surface on the atomic level. The nanoparticles in the Millers Oils are inorganic fullerenes that have multiple layers of nested spheres, and are less than 1/10th of a micron in size (0.000004"). These particles are to a soccer ball as the soccer ball is to the Earth in terms of scale. The nested spheres resemble onion layers, which can exfoliate under extreme pressure and form a protective tribofilm on the metal surfaces. Due to the tremendous surface area, the nanospheres will migrate to and "stick" to the walls of lubricated components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back