MMO - does it really work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume MMO stands for Marvel Mystery Oil? I see alot written about it but does it really work? If it does I'm amazed partly because it has been around for so many years and its such a basic formulation. I pulled the ingredients off an MSDS and its a mystery to me (no pun intended) that it gets so much attention. I've never used it but should I? Do late model cars (last 10 years) really need it? Do you really need to lubricate the entire fuel system? Can somebody enlighten me about this and using any product that is supposed to lubricate your fuel system. The ingredients are listed below with percent range that makes up MMO.

COMPONENT CONCENTRATION (wt %)
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70 – 80
Mineral Spirits 20 – 30
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0 – 1

Lex, use the google site search box at the top of the page and type in "does MMO work", then click SEARCH to the right of the box, and you can then spend all night trying to get your questions answered.

MMO has been added to diesel fuel to lube the injection pump etc.. I have added it to motor oil to thin it when we started getting very cold weather .Now I run 5w-20 in cold weather -No need for the MMo .MMO may help lube the top piston ring in a gasoline engine.However only a trace amount is needed-One ounce/5 gal. gasoline could help.

Skim 5 or 6 pages in this forum and the oil additives forum and you should find every MMO question you can think of asked and answered. Its been the subject of many lengthy discussions and you don't need to dig deep to find more than a few pages to find a couple nights reading.

Though, if you want the cliff notes version: yes, it works.

-Spyder

You're absolutely right, I should have done a search first. Its all there. I just haven't visited the Fuels & Fuel Additives section very often. Will always search first in the future.

It's a feel good product that has shown some results for some. Do I have some? Yes...

Originally Posted By: lexrx3
I assume MMO stands for Marvel Mystery Oil? I see alot written about it but does it really work?

Yes it does. My old 1989 Mazda MX-6 needed a quart of this for every 3 quarts of regular oil to keep the hydraulic lifters quiet. After I started with this regimen, they were quiet for the rest of ownership.

It depends on what you need! It is a light oil with a naptha. It is used for slow removal of sludge. It can lube the top cylinder when added to fuel. In the early 80's i used in my oil even in new cars to prevent sludge buildup. Todays oils are so much better You don't really need it unless you are treating a sludge motor.

Originally Posted By: lexrx3
I assume MMO stands for Marvel Mystery Oil? I see alot written about it but does it really work? If it does I'm amazed partly because it has been around for so many years and its such a basic formulation. I pulled the ingredients off an MSDS and its a mystery to me (no pun intended) that it gets so much attention. I've never used it but should I? Do late model cars (last 10 years) really need it? Do you really need to lubricate the entire fuel system? Can somebody enlighten me about this and using any product that is supposed to lubricate your fuel system. The ingredients are listed below with percent range that makes up MMO.

COMPONENT CONCENTRATION (wt %)
Naphthenic Hydrocarbons 70 – 80
Mineral Spirits 20 – 30
Chlorinated Hydrocarbons 0 – 1

You should try it and you tell us if it really works.

I've posted this before, borrowed from another happy MMO user. To answer the OP's question, yes MMO works, search the site tons of info about it.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

One update from this original post.

The Phosphorous is actually from Tricresyl Phosphate (TCP). TCP is a very, very good AW/EP/Friction modifier most commonly used in aircraft engine oils. It also high solvent properties and emulsifies carbon and varnish and is a lead scavenger which makes so good for 100LL leaded airplane fuel to keep the plugs clean.

Here is the link from Wiki for more
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricresyl_phosphate

I also have a NASA study from 1987 that illustrated the effectiveness of TCP on reducing Iron wear - it is actually quite remarkable just how good it is. It is an Acrobat file so PM me and I can e-mail to you if you like (or let me know how to post on this site).

Last edited:
I have used MMO in the crankcase, but this is only for very special circumstances. It can indeed clean things out. It thins the oil, so watch out - this can be a benefit in winter.
You should have a good reason to do so, and a note from your mother, doctor, and lawyer, first.

But I use it in the gas all the time [or 2 stroke oil].

I had good results with it in my previous PP cleaning OCI. I think its mild solvency worked well with the hefty Ca detergent/dispersant pack in PP. Its hard to obtain in Canada, but as I've said before, if I had a gallon jug of it kicking around it wouldn't go to waste - not with so many potential uses for it in the crankcase, fuel, and as my first choice product for the piston soaks that cars with carbon build up in the ring area can benefit from.

From my POV it has two major strengths - its versatility and that however its used, it works well and predictably. Offhand I can think of nothing so versatile and time tested and proven.

-Spyder

Does anyone have a list like that of the ingredients of Lucas fuel treatment? I'm kind of tossed on that and MMO in the fuel to help condition the fuel pump and help against the corrosive effects of ethanol in our fuel. And also any opinions on which would be better for this between the two?

Last edited:
Either Lucas or Marvel would work great as an upper cylinder lube. Add 1/2 to 2oz for every 10 gallons of gas. The secret is to monitor MPG religiously and use as little as possible to maximize MPG. FP60, Neutra, 2-stroke oil, Redline Si-1, Kreen, Klotz, USlube, Dipetane, Lubrigas... can be dosed the same way for the same benefit.

Use whatever brand floats your boat.

I don't believe in ever needing to add anything to oil if you use a quality synthetic and reasonable change interval. But, you have your MMO, Lucas, Autorx, LC20, Lubegard, Rislone, UsLube, Zmax, Lubrilon... just in case you purchased a used car with unknown maintenance.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Does anyone have a list like that of the ingredients of Lucas fuel treatment? I'm kind of tossed on that and MMO in the fuel to help condition the fuel pump and help against the corrosive effects of ethanol in our fuel. And also any opinions on which would be better for this between the two?

I don't know what is in Lucas. I do know that I used it once in my truck and it didn't run well at all. I had to run that tank of gas down in a hurry and refill to clear it out. I have read that Lucas is mostly just oil and has no real cleaning agents or abilities. I don't think Lucas does very much to couneteract the ethanol in fuel either.

MMO is hands-down the better of the two. MMO will lube and condition the fuel pump, fuel injectors and the entire fuel system, and it will help restore the lubricity that is lost in fuel due to ethanol. It will keep the spark plugs clean and help them to fire better and it will condition the cylinder walls and piston rings to increase power and compression. I think the improved performance from using MMO is also what contributes to the slight MPG increase I get from MMO in my fuel. MMO is a mild cleaner that will help keep the fuel injectors clean but you have to use it regularly in every tank. The best way to put it is to use a good total fuel system cleaner like Regane or Red line SL-1 first, run that tank down as far as you can and then start out using MMO in every subsequent tank. The idea is to get it clean with a fuel system cleaner first, then keep it clean with MMO. I still use Regane or Red Line every 6,000 miles, just before every other oil change. On those tanks I do not add MMO at all. I go back to my regular MMO dose on the next tank after using Regane or Red Line.

MMO is great but it is not a magic bullet. You have to use it consistently in every tank of fuel to get the full benefits from it. For me personally, when I started using MMO it took a couple of tanks of gas to begin to see the benefits. Some have used it and noticed improvements right away. I carry it with me in my truck at all times in an empty small diameter bottle from the new concentrated formula Regane. I save my empty Regane bottles just for this puropose. It's a lot easier to dose the MMO that way and I don't need to carry a funnel with me to add the MMO. That is the only bad thing about MMO for me, the MMO bottle itself does not pour easily into my tank. I just measured and made a mark on the Regane bottle at 6 ounces, which is the MMO dose I use. I fill up when my gas gauge gets to the 1/4 mark and it usually takes right about 15 gallons to fill my gas tank. 6 ounces of MMO to 15 gallons of gas is the right dose for my truck. I had to experiment some to find that out. You may need to do the same, but I would say start out at the recommended dose of 4 ounces to each 10 gallons of gas. On your first dose add the amount of MMO it takes to fill the entire tank. If you have a 20 gallon tank, add 8 ounces of MMO. On each subsequent tank, add only the amount of MMO that corresponds to only the total amount of gas you buy. It is also best to add the MMO to the tank at the pump and then fill up with gas. This is the best way to mix the gas and MMO.

My truck runs very well and I get a slight increase in MPG with MMO in the fuel. I track my gas purchases and MPG on www.fuelly.com every time I fill up. I have added it to my oil a few times as a cleaning agent and some use it in their oil all the time. You can substitute MMO for up to 20% of your oil capacity. I started using Quaker State earlier this year and it is such a better oil than what I had been using before that I do not see a need for MMO in my oil now. MMO in the oil will quiet noisy lifters and help give a smooth even idle and in cold climates it can really help on cold starts.

This is probably more info than you asked for. But MMO is a great product and I always say my only regret is I wish I had started using it a lot sooner. I have done my own testing and experimenting with my truck and I can say without a doubt my truck runs much better, has better power and a smoother idle and throttle resopnse and it gets about 1 to 1.5 better MPG with MMO than it does without MMO. This is my experience with MMO. My truck does much better with MMO than it ever did without it.

Thanks Jimmy for the detailed information. You said you wish you used it sooner. Were you having a problem with your truck which resulted in you using MMO? I can't say I'm having a problem and I'm hearing from everyone about all the benefits but are these benefits only if you were having a problem in the first place? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back