Primacy MXM4/MXV4 or Yoko Envigor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 06 needs new tires. I got about 62K on the O.E. Mich's and have been wonderful, but as many of you know, they are a bit pricy. Got a local tire vendor in town to pretty much match: the MXM4 for 810.32 out the door to include installation, tax and new stems. Mich also has a 70 dollar "cash back" offer with this set, so figure around 740.32. BUT the Yoko caught my eye on tire rack, good reviews and I have Yoko's on my truck and they have been really good. Same warranty, 60K, but a LOT cheaper, about 119 each, with 48 dollar delivery charge and about 47 bucks to mount with new stems. Around 570, so I'm looking at saving about 170 dollars. Has anybody else tried these particular tires? They are 215/50R17's.

Best price/service at Discount Tire. 30 day free return policy. Check it out. That Michelin tire is $122. each at DT. Stores in OKC. Hope this helps

$170 is a fair chunk o' change for sure, but think of it spread out over ~60k miles, however long it takes those miles to pile up. I'd be willing to bet it comes out to a few bucks a month. Every penny counts, but in the long run it's not as big as it looks.

Now, factor in the fact that cheap tires don't always last as long, and almost always come with some kind of tradeoff, plus the fact that the Michelins are a known quantity and you like them a lot, that extra few bucks a month might be worth it to you, if only for peace of mind.

Or, it might not. Up to you.
wink.gif

Anyway, that's my $0.02.

Don't know about the 'V' rated (149 MPH) but 'H' rated (130 MPH) Primacy's are a great quiet smooth riding tire I've used before.Top rated on Tire Rack tests and surveys.
I'm getting a set for my '11 Camry.The Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 oem tires are awful.Loud,harsh and wet traction stinks.
$70 gift card now with Michelins.

I haven't used those particular Yokohamas, but I will say that the MXV4s I have, on a >4,000 lb AWD vehicle, are at 55K right now and they have about 5mm of tread left. At this point, I'll easily make it to 80K on these tires, and they feel the same as they did when they were new.

So, my experience is that the per mile cost of the Michelins is actually the same or less than a lot of less expensive tires, and the tires perform really well during the entire life of the tire.

Mxm4 and mxv4 are not the same. Mxv4 is more of a touring tire and as far as I know it will last longer. Mxm4 is a little sportier but doesn't last very long, is pretty loud, and is actually fairly bad on grip.

If you're an aggressive driver, you should take a look at Continental ExtremeContact DWS. It's an Ultra High Performance All-Season with excellent wet and snow capabilities and the price is the same as of Yokohama Envigor, with 50k miles tread life warranty.

I am having good luck with my Michelin Primacy MXV4s. I have only put 10,000 miles on them but am happy with them to this point. I think they will wear pretty good. Discount Tire does some price matching and Ive heard many good comments about them so far. I would check out each tire on Tirerack and sort by most miles driven and check comments posted at that point. Some of those Tires may be new but can give some insight on the other tires.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Don't know about the 'V' rated (149 MPH) but 'H' rated (130 MPH) Primacy's are a great quiet smooth riding tire I've used before.Top rated on Tire Rack tests and surveys.
I'm getting a set for my '11 Camry.

Colt, please write back with how you like them on your Camry. My '11 Camry has the OEM Michelin MXV4 S8 tires, but I'm always on the look out for what will replace these. So far, the Primacy MXV4 is at the top of the list. Would love to hear your feedback on them.

To the OP, I'm with d00df00d on this one. I'm not a gambler when it comes to tires, and I go with what I know. The difference in price here is pretty small anyway. If you were happy with the OEM Michelins on your Accord, I think you'll be REALLY happy with replacement Primacys.

Thanks. I didn't even know DT was in OKC, which is about 40 minutes from me. I'll look them up and give them a call. One other thing that was brought up and I was curious about. There is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that my car will see a V rated speed. Could I go to an H rated with confidence?

I just checked DT online in OKC.....876 "out the door" price....OOOUUUCCCHHHHHHH. Looks like Tire Rack it will for the Primacy's.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I just checked DT online in OKC.....876 "out the door" price....OOOUUUCCCHHHHHHH. Looks like Tire Rack it will for the Primacy's.

I'd call them and see if that can match it or get close. My bet is they can, and you'll have free lifetime rotations from guys who aren't monkeys. Their service is pretty hard to beat.

DT will price match TR and you only have 1 vendor,with which to deal,so that's the way to go. DT charges 15 per tire for initial balancing and mounting. Then free balances and rotations for as long as you run the tires. Exactly which model Primacy are you looking at? I run H's on my '02 V6 Accord,no problems.

P.S. Go Discount Tire Direct on the net. It's the equivalent of Tire Rack for mail order tires,but.........DtD will ship them free to your nearest Discount Tire location. You get a better price. Personally,I would print out the prices on DT Direct and take them to your local Discount Tire. Let them order and mount the tires for you. Offer 'em an extra $5 per tire. Good luck with it.

There is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that my car will see a V rated speed. Could I go to an H rated with confidence?

The party line is: stick with the OEM speed rating.

But in my opinion, you absolutely could use an H-rated tire.

Maybe if I was 20 years younger, but the most that car will see may be 110, which I already had it up to just to see what it has in it and I still had lots of tach to go, as I don't want to have to be on the receiving end of a ticket. Honestly, DT is too far out of my way to take advantage of the free rotation. I just do it myself every 15-20K miles or so, as long as they are still balanced. 95% of my driving is a straight line.

DT online/in store price is high, but they will match any price, local or online with shipping included.
I just bought 2 tires from local America Tire, they match the lowest price I can find from onlinetires.com.

You should look at total price, exclude mounting/balancing, from some online sites such as Treadepot.com, onlinetires.com ... print a copy and take to DT.

Just put a set of 225/60/16 H rated MXV4 on our Subaru from DT. Went in with the DTD price, and while they did not match it, they came close enough to merit my business and me not having to deal with the hassle of having tires shipped to my apartment building.
Only have about 100 miles on my Primacy's but they ride great and are really quiet. Comfortable, but not sporty...which is fine for a base model Outback wagon. Haven't encountered rain/snow/slush yet but I think they will do decent for an all-season.

The Yoko's look decent, but I wouldn't consider them for my conditions, too much winter mix here.

That was kind of my thinking also, our winters are nothing compared to yours. If it gets that bad, the whole state pretty much shuts down, seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back