Mobile 1 5W/30, 2642 miles, 2008 Mazdaspeed3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 38sho

Bill I don't know what your problem is, but this is the end of it from me, the thread is posted there, if you clicked on it, that other folks were so nice to post up, you would see what I'm talking about

sure trending might be good, but then again some people get so bent out of shape over single digits it almost seems like to me.... like if u have a 9 iron value, and a 20 iron value on a different oil, its like people are on a witchcraft hunt trying to kill the people who make that oil. Why? over something so small and trivial, that in reality, the numbers can be so different from the same EXACT sample, both could be compltely wrong and not worth trusting your life over.... why would anyone bicker on the internet over stuff like this is beyond me

you sucked me in with your tractor beam bill, but this will be the last time

I only reply because you seem so insistant to hear my response to your inquiries

So you don't have proof on what you posted.

Fine.

Bill

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Does it have a oil cooler?
21.gif

I was incorrect, in my original response - this car does have a small oil cooler where the filter mounts as Audi Junkie and Gary Allan pointed out.

And THAT is the reason why I asked. (I do know one or two things here)

If you want to see if thats it, I'd still suggest what I typed before.

Bill

Does Blackstone keep the samples on file for some length of time?

I didn't know that they could check the sample more than once.

No matter, as I think I'm going to wait to buy another UOA at my next oil change and see what it looks like. I'll make sure I do it before my mfg. warranty expires!

Thanks for help. I would have never even thought of an oil cooler as a possible source, especially since I didn't know my car had one! :)

I used 5W30 simply because it's what is recommended by Mazda for this engine.

Only in North America does Mazda "recommend" 5W30 out of the owner's manual for CAFE reasons. Mazda Europe and Australia recommends 5W40 Dexelia for the exact same engine.

There have been so many problems with most 5W30 oils in this engine due to fuel dilution and shearing. This is part of the cause of the "smoking turbo" issue that many people talk about. Mazda's band-aid fix (for now, I hope) is to use 5W40 oil... exactly the same grade that is recommended overseas!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Did the 2008 SPEED3's have turbo seal problems --and a recall?

Not to my knowledge. There were some issues unrelated to the turbo in the early 2008 cars, but I bought a 2008.5 to avoid these issues.

There's a TSB out for the 07-08s with smoking exhaust as a symptom. Oil gets pushed past the turbo seals causing the smoke. Originally, before the TSB came out, the turbos were replaced with updated ones but this didn't have reliable results (some cars came back with the same problem). So the TSB addresses the issue with the band-aid fix by using the European 5W40 recommendation and to put that stuff in the first time under warranty to see if that "fixes" it. The underlying problem is still there, and Mazda claims it's a PCV issue and not a turbo one. I personally think, they are running too high oil pressure to the turbo and blowing out the seals.

But just because it is for 07-08s, doesn't mean the 08.5s all the way to the new 2010s don't have this problem. They do. There's plenty of people complaining about it.

On the turbo seal's thing. Yes, Mazdaspeed 3 and 6's with this k04 Turbo do have an issue with oil pushing past the Turbo seals. It's a known issue and can and does happen to even 2009 models (like mine). Under the service bulletin, the first line to fix this issue is to switch the oil to a 5w40 oil, which in most cases drastically reduces the effect.

On the issue of vanilla Mobil 1 5w30 in this car. I have seen plenty of poor UOA's for it. Enough to make me avoid it in my car like the plague. I do however run M1 15w50 in it, as you can see in my sig. Get some different oil in your car is my opinion. Rotella T6 5w40 puts up some really great UOA's for our cars and a ton of people on the mazdaspeed forums use it and post stellar reports, even over 6k miles. And that's tough for a high performance direct injected turbo like ours.... that shreds oil.

Last edited:
p.s. For reference. Here's my UOA with about the same mileage on it. This sample was from 8,300 miles total on the car to 11,000. The same as his. It's also from almost the exact same amount of time on the oil (2,700 mi). During this time I drove the car ridiculously HARD. Very very hard.

OIL1.JPG

Last edited:
The Mazda Turbo DI's are hardcore on most oils between the shearing and the extra fuel dilution that DI introduces. On my Mazdaspeed 6, I found the Rotella T-Syn 5W-40 to be just about the best you could for those motors. The only thing better was the German Castrol, but it's harder to come by and more expensive. The Rotella can be had in gallon jugs at your local Walmart for under $16 IIRC.

Mobil (not Mobile) 1 was not the best choice and PP did better as well.

:)

Yes. Agreed completely, on all counts. Try the Rotella T6 5w40 he mentioned and see how it does. I really think you can't beat that oil for our car in terms of price to performance ratio. It's a really stout oil and I've seen a lot of UOA's of it for our car where it holds up incredibly well for even longer OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back