2008 VW GTI, Mobil 1 5w40 TDT, 9922 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest oil analysis of my GTI. This latest scan is with Mobil 1 TDT, the previous one with Amsoil Series 3000 5w30, and the original with Mobil 1 0w40. I am running Shell Rotella 5w40 now.

10-31-2009111253AM.jpg

Was the TDT the CJ-4 version or the older CI-4 version?

I disagree with the Blackstone comment that how the engine is wearing is the final judge of how long you can run the oil. In some engines, deposit buildup can occur before the wear rate gets too bad. Has the 2.0T proven to be varnish-prone like the 1.8T is? I know it has the intake valve deposit issue but I'm not talking about that.

It looks really good! I am guessing that by 12K you will hit an insolubles limit not a TBN limit or wear metal limit.

Does the TDT carry the right approvals for this engine? A good friend of mine bought an '09 Audi A4 with the 2.0T and was asking me what oil he should use. I was thinking GC or M1 0w-40, but TDT might also be a good choice.

What are the required specs from VW?

Adeere, is this another 99% highway run? Your runs are always good at around 10k OCI (probably the only 2.0 FSI that we can say that for). Seems to be due to almost all highway usage. Nice zinc and calcium numbers!

Yes, almost all highway. BTW the cam follower isn't showing much wear with this oil. This is probably the best oil I have used concerning cam follower wear, and the Amsoil was by far the worst. I noticed substantial wear with the Amsoil. I plan on sticking with 10k OCI.

Originally Posted By: adeere
Yes, almost all highway. BTW the cam follower isn't showing much wear with this oil. This is probably the best oil I have used concerning cam follower wear, and the Amsoil was by far the worst. I noticed substantial wear with the Amsoil. I plan on sticking with 10k OCI.

Interesting observations on the cam follower wear. This TDT has high ZDDP which one would assume would help with that. Don't recall the zinc levels of the others off the top of my head.

Jim 5 said:
Does the TDT carry the right approvals for this engine? A good friend of mine bought an '09 Audi A4 with the 2.0T and was asking me what oil he should use. I was thinking GC or M1 0w-40, but TDT might also be a good choice. /quote]

502 is a low standard. Many oils that are not tested for that spec show much better real world performance than the 502 oils in this engine. Many 502 oils seem to be lacking in several areas for this engine IMO (f.e. shear stability, flashpoint retention, ZDDP levels, volatility). For example exactly zero 40 weight 502 oils have stayed in grade on the over 45 total UAS we have for this engine. Some shear all the way down to a 20 weight as I recall. Many show elevated iron levels.

Personally I would use an ester based oil with a very strong additive package. Some ester and/or PAO and/or group III oils to consider are: Amsoil DEO, Rotella synthetic 5W40, TDT 5W40, Redline 5W40, Renlube Biosyn 5W40, Motul 300V, Motul X-lite 0W30. Some of those oils we do not yet have data in the 2.0 FSI database but I think would work well based on their specs. (feel free to ignore).

If I had to use a 502 oil, I would use X-lite 0W30 or other higher end Motul oils that are on the list, or GC. I would not run the more traditional 502 oils in this engine. They don't cut it IMO. These engines need a stout oil. The 09' engine you mentioned is a TSI and wouldn't suffer from the cam follower issue though.

Good point...The only caveat is that while there are non VW 502 approved oils that are better than some oils that carry the spec, if you want to make sure the engine is warrantied "just in case" you have to use the VW 502...But I do agree there's lots of oils available that would do a better job at protecting the engine that do not carry the spec....This UOA is one example of an oil that doesn't carry the spec giving outstanding results...

Yea, for those who are really anal about records for warranty I have heard some guys buy and then instantly return the 502 oil so they have the receipt. Some guys keep a maint. journal also.

I don't think most dealers are aggressive in trying to deny warranties. If they did, about 40% of the GTI's out there wouldn't qualify because of mods.

I can see if there was a sludged car that they never changed the oil in 45k miles or something, but for these high end oils these things would have to happen; (1) A failure due to lubrication (what is the chance of that? pretty much zero), (2) Dealer wants to aggressively deny warranty (what is the chance?), (3) Dealer would have to show you didn't maintain it to specs (here is where the reciepts etc. could help) AND do a UOA AND prove it is not a 502 oil by UOA (what is the chance?). So when you look at the chance of all three of those things happening, it is infinitesimal IMO.

Anyone on here ever have a dealer look at non-sludged engine and want to know exactly what oil it is? Nope! Even under warranty on an engine with say a cam shaft failure if their is no sludge and no sign that the engine was ran with no oil they never ask and never do a UOA. When they start to tear an engine down if they have to go deeper then the top of the head they drain the coolant and the oil into some of the dirtiest pails you have never seen!LOL When they ship it to OEM for warranty they have to drain all fluids other wise they have to ship it Hazmat! So no sludge no UOA...Even then we have all seen how oils either thin or thicken with use......We also see how additives get taken up ie plate up or drop out as compared to VOA of that same oil! The most they could tell is what grade they think it started out at and what additives where in it. What brand would be well beyond the scope of a $20 UOA. So if the customer did not tell them he used non-502 approved oil they would never know! In a case like this the oil he is using is far better then any of the approved oils so lieing while not good would not be changing the outcome of the rate of wear or the cause of failure you just would be avoiding giving the dealership or regional service rep a reason to not do their job which is to find the root cause of the failure and fix it for the customer! The standard is their to keep people from useing oils that are not up to the levels needed to protect this engine if one use's oils that exceed this minimum lowest common denominator one is not breaking the spirit of the warranty or the spirit of the intended recomendation for 502 approved oils. As for the lie of omission that would be the least of my worries I know how hard dealerships scheme and Regional Service and Maintenance Reps work to keep warranty claims low they will lie and cheat anyone they think will let them get away with it so lieing about useing an oil that exceeds their recommendations really is not a big deal to me! In fact anyone that has worked int he industry has coached family members before and friends on what to say and how to say it so they get a repair under warranty!

In fact I would go so far as to say it is stupid to use an inferrior oil in your engine because you are afraid the warranty nazi's might get you if you do not. What is it with people and fear! How do you people make it through the day with out popping a blood vessel or breaking down in tears!!! Man up !!!

As far as I am concerned, this is darn impressive. Honestly, it is not a surprise, as the HDEO's are beast oils.

Currently, we have two OCI's of Syntec 5w40 on the shelf, but when that runs out....I will be pushing my son to move to Rotella Synthetic in his Rabbit.

I will be watching closely in about 6 months, hoping you post the results of Rotella in your GTI.

Originally Posted By: adeere

Not a fair critique on Amsoil. You used a 30-weight Amsoil, while the others were 40-weights. Had you used an Amsoil 40-weight (DEO or AFL), you would have most likely seen better performance.

But, hey, that's the way folks do things around here......

That's why I don't critize other products. It's easy to drop a negitive line on someones oil they are using without any proof. Bad policy in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back