Engine oil "dialysis"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres a potentially crazy idea. Has anyone used a transfer pump and high grade 0.5 - 1um filter to periodically (say every 100 miles) remove particulates from engine oil. I have a high pressure pump and some Balston filters that I was considering trying. My plan is to filter (a slow process) into a clean polyethylene carboy and then transfer back into the engine. This would be an alternative to a bypass filtration set-up.

You'd be the first that I've ever heard of doing that. Why not just set up bypass filtration on your vehicle?

With constant bypass filtration, the particulates are removed at all times. A one time "dialysis" doesn't make sense and you wouldn't get the true benefits of what a bypass filter is designed for (constant, clean oil at all times going through your engine's internals).

My
twocents.gif

Ultimately, I'd like to do that. My reasoning is that it a brand new vehicle (Toyota Tacoma 2.7L) and during the warantee period, this seemed like a possible way to get some "bypass filter like" benefits without adding the hardware. With the past trucks that I've owned, I have always gotten about 200,000 miles out of them with reasonable maintenance, With this new one, I'd like to try to double that.

There is another member that does off vehicle filtering. He's got taps to hook up to. This inspired a few to configure "gravity" percolators using tp. There was no need for pumping. Just some clean (lids) for some containers and some 4 or 5 inch PVC pipe with something to plug the center core. Reduce the big pipe to a 1 incher ...place it in a 5 gallon lube pail (has spout in lid) ...viola~.

That would probably work well. It might not be fine enough for our needs ...but with some tweaking ..it could work.

One setup, that I actually wished I bought, had a pump with a MG plumbed to it. It had some relief system integrated. It pretty much looked like a "SET IT and FORGET IT" type device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back