Silicon 5 (trace of sand in oil????)
Sodium 342 (Flagged as issue)
Calcium 1368
Mag 590
Phos 689
Zinc 822

SUS V @ 210F 97.1
Flash 440F

FWIW, Brad-Penn is not a Pennzoil oil, so I do not know if Johhny will have many comments. Brad-Penn is made by the American Refining Company at the old Kendall refinery in Bradford, PA. The current manufacturers of Brad-Penn have no connections with Kendall, Pennzoil, QS, or any of the old PA companies (although I would imagine that many long term Kendall employees have stayed in Bradford, and are now running / working at American Refining).

quote:

Originally posted by quick_16:
Johnny, If you do comment, please take a look at the Kendall and Vavoline 20W-50 VOA data samples also. For all out 1000hp + 1/4 mile drag racing, do you see a difference in quality? I still do not understand the SUS visc other than a relative number. Here are two 20W-50 rated oils that differ by 6 points??? Does this mean the VR-1 has more 50W base?

FYI The Brad Penn oil was sampled to me, but I may not even run it based on this VOA and the odd ball numbers. In addition a friend said he ran it in a similar race car and it milked the oil very fast.

Thanks in advance
Paul

I can absolutely believe it milked it fast!! I don't see anything here I like.
spaz.gif

Okay, Silicon in a VOA is an anti-foam additive. You'll find that many quailty motor oils have a silicon reading in the 5-15 ppm range.

Sodium - Hmmm, you're making me thinkl here. I don't have any references, but I think sodium may be an additive to oil in some cases.

What were blackstones comments on this sample? Is the the Racing 20w-50 or the regular 20w-50?

This is nothing like the 5w-30 BradPenn that I sampled a while back.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
What were blackstones comments on this sample? Is the the Racing 20w-50 or the regular 20w-50?

Thanks for the valued input. It's race 20W-50 Blackstone comments:
I will para-phrase
"Sodium used as an additive. It's also prime element of ethylene glycol. It used to be common to find it in some oil brands but rarely seen now. Reminder be to remember UOA's on this would be not from anti-freeze. I use pure H2O anyway. Also commented that the 3ppm iron and trace insolubles should not be there, but they doubt it would cause harm." RIGHT! It will never go in my race engine. 555cid race engine + BIG $$$'s for sure not an R&D deal.

Johnny, If you do comment, please take a look at the Kendall and Vavoline 20W-50 VOA data samples also. For all out 1000hp + 1/4 mile drag racing, do you see a difference in quality? I still do not understand the SUS visc other than a relative number. Here are two 20W-50 rated oils that differ by 6 points??? Does this mean the VR-1 has more 50W base?

FYI The Brad Penn oil was sampled to me, but I may not even run it based on this VOA and the odd ball numbers. In addition a friend said he ran it in a similar race car and it milked the oil very fast.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Sort of off topic but since your talking 20w 50's, what are the general thoughts on Pennzoil's 20w 50 GT Performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back