Home

Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Posted By: pavelow

Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 04:29 AM

Never used it. Tell me the good, bad or ugly about this stuff. I know Lucas makes respectable products, but I just want some info from the "field" before I make a purchase. If I were to buy it, it would go into my Jeep 4.0 to help quiet down some noisy lifters. lol
Posted By: DieselTech

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 04:33 AM

The bad and ugly.....it only a viscosity improver and nothing else. The good......HMMMMMM.......can't find any
Posted By: greenaccord02

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 04:34 AM

Like many overpriced oil additives, it's just a bill of goods.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=890132#Post890132

Also causes oil to lose anti-foam properties:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Posted By: postjeeprcr

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=890132#Post890132

That is such a goofy unscientific test that has no value in the real world. bop
Posted By: panthermike

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 05:11 AM

I wouldn't use it, just keep using the Rotella Syn.

The viscosity increase alone is enough to put me off of the product.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I don't agree.
Posted By: postjeeprcr

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 08:17 AM

I don't agree.

You think that little gear box thing is anything like an engine? I am not saying Lucas should be used. The "test" was done by a guy trying to sell a product.
Posted By: chad8

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 10:04 AM

garbage. used it . hated it. It sticks to everything. Hard to get out of motor. thickens oil . thats it. If you have a junker you are trying to quiet a rod knock or lifter before selling or to cut smoking temporally for a sale. by all means use it.hide those defects.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 12:14 PM

I don't agree.

You think that little gear box thing is anything like an engine? I am not saying Lucas should be used. The "test" was done by a guy trying to sell a product.

While I agree that marketing is generally worthless for data, I think that it does show that oil as formulated does not foam up in the same way as lucas. Regardless of how much like an engine it is, that's an undesirable property. I'm not saying that Shaeffer's is good, either. Just that a properly formulated oil is better than one with lucas added to it.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 03:15 PM

Ok, so it looks like it just thickens oil while "hurting" the engine oil itself?
Posted By: Boss302fan

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 04:28 PM

Used Lucas for a long time and finally decided that it did nothing... Waste of money and not a good product. Like above, it would be good for an engine on its last legs...
Posted By: MolaKule

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 07:47 PM

My question has always been, why does your oil need stabilizing?
Posted By: Steve S

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
My question has always been, why does your oil need stabilizing?
Mee too!!!
Posted By: Nick R

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/26/10 10:24 PM

Won't ever catch me using it in my car. But the Lucas Power Steering stuff works really well, the steering on my car got waaayyy too light and loose after a PS fluid change, and that stuff gave it a little more weight.
Posted By: Scooter_man

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/27/10 01:28 AM

I'd just throw in some MMO or maybe even Seafoam and see what it does. I've had that problem in a couple of vehicles and was quieted with MMO within 500-1000 miles. I'm not a big fan of Seafoam, but I know several people personally who have had good luck with it as well.
Posted By: Robenstein

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/27/10 05:38 AM

Try some MMO or Seafoam the last 100 miles of an OCI and see if it helps. I had good luck with MMO and Rislone (for a whole OCI) at unsticking lifters in a 3100 GM V6.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/27/10 06:34 PM

This question is for those that have actually used the Lucas product.

What personal reasons do you have for your opinion? Specifics about why you didn't like it as it pertains to the application or engine you added it to?
Posted By: severach

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/27/10 08:49 PM

I like Lucas Oil Stabilizer in a manual transmission along with Motorkote. Each give a noticeable improvement. Using LOS in an engine seems expensive and unproductive.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/27/10 09:55 PM

But does Lucas hurt the engine? I need that answered in real life terms, not via hearsay or internet speculation. That is what I need to know. If it doesn't hurt the engine in any way, shape or form, I will indeed use the synthetic version.
Posted By: Scooter_man

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/28/10 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: pavelow

What personal reasons do you have for your opinion? Specifics about why you didn't like it as it pertains to the application or engine you added it to?

I have used it in the past, if I hadn't then I wouldn't have commented. I'm not certain others on here that do interject with no personal experience. Sorry if I offended you, but I only speak from my experiences. I am on here to learn though and am also interested in hearing the results others have got with Lucas as well.

The reason, in my previous vehicle - an '88 Camry - I noticed zero improvement from the Lucas while MMO has (for me) shown results within a reasonably short time (quieted noisy lifters).

It is possible that the Lucas did some good, but no change in lifter noise was noticed. The noise was not gone until an OC and 16-oz. of MMO was added - then drove 500-600 miles. Even then it was not completely quiet, but much much better.

That is my personal experience only, and I cannot attest to the experiences of others.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/28/10 01:34 AM

That's the kind of stuff I need to hear. Real life experiences. Thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: panthermike

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/28/10 03:36 AM

I used the Lucas a long time ago in a Corolla and an F100. In the F100, no discernable change. In the Corolla however, it actually made the engine quite noisy. Did an oil change shortly after that.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/28/10 06:08 PM

I've been doing my own "google" research on Lucas and it seems like this stuff is really hit or miss....way too many opinions on both sides of the fence for me to come to a definitive conclusion. Considering my only gripe is the noisy lifter(s) in my 112K mile engine, I'll just leave well enough alone and not use Lucas.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/28/10 06:16 PM

Substitute a quart of MMO for a short OCI and see if that doesn't help. It'd be a cheap experiment if nothing else.
Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/28/10 06:44 PM

My Grandpa use to introduce a cup of GULF charcoal lighter fluid a couple days of driving before an oil change to clean the engine. I think it was a Dodge Scamp slant 6.
Posted By: ionbeam22

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/29/10 02:47 AM

I think it's mostly harmless and really ment for older worn engines that might benefit from a more tacky oil that has a thicker oil film (e.g with dry start problems etc). I wouldn't see much need for it in an engine that wasn't worn and old.

As for what molakule said, I think the issue is that oil companies target the typical engine when formulating a mass market oil, and so there is a possibility that a formula for an oil that would be more specific to worn engines would be beneficial.
Posted By: severach

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/29/10 03:40 AM

But does Lucas hurt the engine?

LOS neither hurts nor helps. After a some successes with Lucas in power steering and manual transmissions I tried it in the engine. It did nothing bad and nothing good. I've lost every one of my cars to rust so I couldn't see any reason to add that much cost to an oil change to solve a problem I don't have.

If Lucas can stabilize rust I'll buy it.
Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/29/10 02:03 PM

LOS: A great way to sell otherwise unusable petroleum byproduct for premuim dollars to people who dont know any better and shouldnt be wasting their money - The American Way! I was just as stupid and bought some bahrdahl no-smoke a month ago - more garbage! Well I guess its could be usefull as a tacky general squirt lube for yard equipment, chainsaw bar for winter storage, etc ... . Motor Medic and STP are prob the 2 better oil thickeners on the market - if you feel you need that. EX, you could be at the end of a 5K OCI with 1000 miles to go in late summer and the oil is feeling "tired" and "sheared" You can dump a couple oz of this "motor medic honey" stuff in the near-spent fill and make it to 5k with the rods still attached to the crankshaft wink
Posted By: hyperscion

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/31/10 05:55 PM

the lucas will only thicken the oil, it does not have anti-wear additives.
so you will get thicker oil with a decrease in anti-wear, anti-friction,anti-foam, detergents,ect,ect. just thick oil.
Posted By: Charlie59

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 03/31/10 06:27 PM

IMO non-tested .02 the most of Lucas additives or fixers are good on well wornout engines. I run Lucas products in my beater truck.

Also my work car crownvic with a bad transmission has a liter of the trans stop slip in it. Hold it together till I get another car.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/11/10 09:16 PM

I switched my oil from Rotella 5W40 to Valvoline Maxlife 10W40 and the lifter noise went away after a day of driving. At this time I also switched from a Napa Gold filter to Pure One. I guess I found my new oil and filter....and I didn't need to use Lucas. lol
Posted By: Chris142

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/12/10 03:40 AM

I switched my oil from Rotella 5W40 to Valvoline Maxlife 10W40 and the lifter noise went away after a day of driving. At this time I also switched from a Napa Gold filter to Pure One. I guess I found my new oil and filter....and I didn't need to use Lucas. lol
My 4.0 likes QS 10w30. Might give that a try next time.
Posted By: ethangsmith

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 04/13/10 11:51 AM

My real life experience with Lucas Oil Stabilizer is not a good one either. I used it for a few oil changes in my 2.3L Mercury Capri. Not only did my lifter ticking get worse at startup, but I lost fuel economy also. It seems that when you add 1 quart of the Lucas in with 4 quarts of 10W40, it gets too thick to flow through small passages in the engine well- which actually will increase engine wear and friction. So I quit using the stuff. If you're worried about seals or engine varnish, I found that Valvoline MaxLife does wonderful things.
Posted By: JonnySaab

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/12/10 01:10 AM

I used it last year, I'm a sucker for marketing, Suburban ran fine until I let her sit for 3 weeks, Went to start and had had her first dry start, just a moment but It peeved me. I dropped the oil put in QS ( on sale ) did a 500 mile oci to get that junk out of my motor. All is good now, but that stuff is a scam.
Posted By: MolaKule

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/12/10 02:01 AM

Quote:
But does Lucas hurt the engine?

But does it do any good while thinning your wallet?

That is my question.
Posted By: lui

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/19/10 02:46 AM

i found the lucas to be a great and i mean GREAT engine assembly lube!! there is nothing out there that sticks like that stuff. works good for that.

and it also works great for an engine with low oil pressure problems. it will give you a good bump in oil pressure.
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 07:10 AM

It's great stuff.

My steam turbines at work have 30 tonnes of load on 18-20"diameter (and length) bearings.

Normally, the bearings have a jacking port on the underside, that provides 3000 psi oil to "jack" (lift) the shaft to allow it to turn at low speeds up to around 800RPM.

During maintenance, often the jacking oil system is unavailable.

A drizzle (literally) of lucas over the journals, leaving it sit, then providing a bit of torque by wrapping a soft sling around the coupling and lifting with a crane makes the shaft very easy (comparitively) to turn for doing run-outs and alignments...one squeeze lasts for days.

And being not much at all additive wise, doesn't eat the bearings, or contaminate the oil system.
Posted By: Gary Allan

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 08:02 AM

I thought you used KY jelly on your shaft confused Is Lucas an upgrade?
Posted By: rshunter

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Hey! Watch it...

You nearly cost me a computer, from blowing coffee all over the place.

LOL!
Posted By: Robenstein

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: lui
i found the lucas to be a great and i mean GREAT engine assembly lube!! there is nothing out there that sticks like that stuff. works good for that.

and it also works great for an engine with low oil pressure problems. it will give you a good bump in oil pressure.

Problem is that it really doesnt have much for anti wear additives so while it seems slippery, it wont protect well if there is a dry spot. Id rather use STP since it atleast has a decent amount of zinc in it, and that stuff is super sticky as well.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 09:41 AM

Gary, the stuff that you were referring to is obstetrics lube, which I have brought in in 20 litre pails.

Helps stick plastic sheeting to the tubes when looking for condenser leaks.
Posted By: Vikas

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 02:54 PM

Gary,

One more reply like that from you and "the new intrepid moderator" will be on your case :-)

- Vikas
Posted By: Nick R

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/20/10 05:17 PM

\

roflmao
Posted By: Gary Allan

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/21/10 03:27 AM

Yes, it was a shameful double entendre ( spank BAD GARY! ) ..but, as Shannow confirmed, he does use the stuff. I just forgot what on.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/21/10 08:04 AM

Yep, could use the search function, and find where I posted that I'd brought it into power station useage.
Posted By: NapaBavarian

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer - 05/27/10 05:10 PM

I'm suffering from thinning viscosity of the oil in my DD, Lucas seems to thicken it up and build pressure faster in the mornings, I never purchased it before and doubt it will again, however until I can locate and repair the problem it keeps from adding to mechanical damage to the engine or changing the oil when it begins to thin, the oil does get stickier and thicker with Lucas when cold, but their claim that it sticks better when the engine is turned off makes me ??? unless they will prove that oil at 230* F sticks as well as it does at 80* f

© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy