VW and Audi oil sludge issues . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my Audi in '96, I was fully aware that the UD dealers didn't know much about those cars. I was extra careful from the beginning.

Looks like the V6 is the pick in these cars.
grin.gif
I have a reliable 200hp/211ft-lbs. No turbo, OP or TB issues.
cool.gif

I like my 1.8T. Fun to drive, good gas mileage, no oil consumption problems, lots of mod possibilities.
I really think the 1.8T is bulletproof with an A3 oil and 5k OCIs. Problem is, the avg. consumer doesn't want to think about these things so it's not an engine for hte masses.

Audi Junkie, I never regretted getting the V6 (1.8T wasn't out yet). The 12 valve design is old and bulletproof. The 30 valver is a bit more sensitive (cam chain tensioner!), but also more reliable than the 1.8T. Stop by at the AW 12v forum on occasion, UrS4 is shooting for 300 hp (crank), I think.
cool.gif

"Oil Sludge Bedevils VW

By Tim Sullivan

In an effort to address engine problems caused by oil sludge, Volkswagen of America recently extended warranty coverage on two models of turbocharged cars, news reports say.

According to Automotive News and the Wall Street Journal, the U.S. subsidiary of the German automaker has mailed letters to owners of approximately 425,000 Volkswagen Passats and Audi A4s equipped with 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The company sent the letters after receiving complaints of components malfunctioning because of oil sludge.

Volkswagen could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Automotive News, a weekly trade newspaper, reported Monday that the extended warranty covers Passats built from 1998 to 2004 and A4s built from 1997 to 2004. The paper said VW declined to say how many engines have been replaced or repaired or how much the extended warranty is expected to cost.

The extended warranty, according to yesterday’s Wall Street Journal, is for eight years, has no mileage limit and is fully transferable. VW’s standard warranty generally lasts for five years or 50,000 miles, which ever comes first.

VW is not the only carmaker to fork over money the past few years for oil-related engine problems. Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. begrudgingly offered in 2002 to pay for repairs to engines damaged by oil gelation, a phenomenon occurring at cold temperatures when oil turns to a semi-solid gel that fails to flow. Toyota maintained that problems in its engines were caused by owners who did not change oil often enough, but made its offer after receiving complaints from a few thousand customers.

The Center for Auto Safety announced last week that it is asking DaimlerChrysler to extend warranties on Chrysler 2.7-liter V-6 engines in vehicles built from 1998 to 2002 to address problems caused by oil sludge. The center, a private, nonprofit group founded by Ralph Nader (currently a third-party candidate for president in the United States), said it has received complaints from 92 Chrysler owners claiming damage related to oil sludge.

Automotive News reported Chrysler as stating it is investigating a “limited” number of complaints.

[PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION]

HOME

Published by LNG Publishing Co., Inc.
Copyright © 2004 LNG Publishing Co., Inc. All rights reserved.
Tim Sullivan, Editor. Lube Report (ISSN 1547-3392), Lubes'n'Greases Magazine and Lubricants Industry Sourcebook are published by LNG Publishing Co., Inc., 6105-G Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, Virginia 22044 USA. Phone: (703) 536-0800. Fax: (703) 536-0803. Website: www.LNGpublishing.com. Email: [email protected]. For sponsor information contact Gloria Steinberg Briskin at (800) 474-8654 or (703) 536-7676 or [email protected]. Forward to a colleague

I consider you colleagues...........

Terry

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

Published by LNG Publishing Co., Inc.
Copyright © 2004 LNG Publishing Co., Inc. All rights reserved.
Tim Sullivan, Editor. Lube Report (ISSN 1547-3392), Lubes'n'Greases Magazine and Lubricants Industry Sourcebook are published by LNG Publishing Co., Inc., 6105-G Arlington Blvd., Falls Church, Virginia 22044 USA. Phone: (703) 536-0800. Fax: (703) 536-0803. Website: www.LNGpublishing.com. Email: [email protected]. For sponsor information contact Gloria Steinberg Briskin at (800) 474-8654 or (703) 536-7676 or [email protected]. Forward to a colleague

I consider you colleagues...........

Terry

Thanks, Terry. You're a gentleman, a scholar and a paradigm of virtue.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back