How tight to screw the oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much tension do you put on it?

Do you twist it by hand until you cannot twist it anymore?

The vehicle is '99 VW Jetta with 2.0L engine.

Most filters will have instructions on the box or the side of the filter. A rule of thumb would be to tighten 3/4 turn after the filter gasket touches the base.

Quote:

Do you twist it by hand until you cannot twist it anymore?

yep, up to .75 - 1 turn past gasket contact, yet short of denting, crushing or otherwise deforming the can with your hand. Go that far and you know it's too tight.
cheers2.gif

Yep. I rarely can get to the 3/4 turn after gasket contact. So ..it's a half grunt ...maybe a full grunt (I'm getting older - grunts come easier).

I turn by hand until I cant go, and put another 3/4 turn on with a socket wrench to make sure its better than just hand tight. Never had one leak.

Quote:

I turn by hand until I cant go, and put another 3/4 turn on with a socket wrench to make sure its better than just hand tight. Never had one leak.

Are you the poor ---- who has to take it off again? I've never had one leak either, and I've never put one on anywhere near that tight. IMO there is no reason to go more than hand tight.

It seems hand tight should work. The idea is that the gasket will seal to the block; the filter generally gets sucked onto the block anyway, which is why it requires a filter wrench to remove.

If you put it on hand tight, then one should be able to remove in the same fashion, but that doesn't happen -- a filter wrench is needed.

Just hand tighten, then let the engine, whatever, do it's thing and seat the filter.

I tighten mine by hand, and I'm able to get them off by hand as well, it just takes a little elbow grease but nothing that's about to sprain my arm. The only time I've had to use a filter wrench was when I had the dealer do my oil changes before I became more savvy with maintenance.

Whatever the box says, usually 3/4 to a full turn after gasket contact.

One thing I've noticed is that Purolators, whether name brand or made for someone else (AAP, Quaker State) seem to tighten up quicker than AC Delco so it's a struggle to make even 3/4 of a turn.

All my cars have always just gotten a tighten as far I can hand tighten them (without the grunt). Never a problem. Someday I have to take those things off, so no need to go any more.

Quote:

I'd be afraid of stripping the threads on the filter or stud.

All the spin-ons I've used state 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the gasket touches. When I do as directed I still often must use a filter wrench to remove a used one. I had a neighbor who wrenched on his filter and we ended up driving a pinch bars pointed end through the filter to remove it. Fortunately we got it off but, we had to replace the threaded stud that the filter screws onto. JME with filters. Ed

Don't forget to put a dab of fresh oil around the new filter gasket, because if you don't, that sucker can really bake on. Hand tight for me. I would say one grunt works for me as well. Using a wrench to tighten is absolutely unneccesary...you are creating a pita situation next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back