1999 Isuzu Rodeo(6VD1) 120K, Castrol Elixion 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled1.jpg

6VD1 engines from Isuzu 1998-2001 are prone to oil consumption problem. It is widely belived that there are some really small drain back holes in the piston housing that lets the oil drain back to crankcase are too small and few, this blocks the flow of oil back to crankcase and hence oil burns out. That is the reason why I am using a lighter weight diesel oil. The first sample was for 6K miles on the oil and second sample was taken at 10K miles on the oil. I had change the oil filter at 6 K miles on the oil and while changing filter I put RA series filter mag on it, that might explain lower Fe in the later sample.

The oil is Castrol Elixion 5W-30 and BG MOA added to oil that is where some of the sodium comes from.

I have a high flow K&N cone filter, some of the higher silicon might be from me tryin to clean my EGR tube which I do every 4 K miles or so.

Both the filters were ISUZU OEM. The first one was without filter Mag.

Comments/suggests on the UOA are appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ankur

Last edited:
Its generating great wear, and holding its TBN well, but I'm suprised by the viscosity increase. From the TDS, this oil starts at 11.7 cst, so after 6,000 miles, it has thickened to a solid 40-weight at 13.0cst. Topping off the oil after changing the filter, and adding the additive, seemed to have kept it at about the same thickness. Still, even after 10k miles, I would not expect a heavy-duty oil like this to thicken this much - maybe after 15k+ miles.

Anyone else concerned by this?

Since you pointed out about viscosity I forgot to mention that I had also added Valvoline Max life Engine protector to it, I did not want to deal with any leaks resulting from high detergency oil. I think it might be max life engine protector that might have fiddled with the viscosity.

Thanks,

-Ankur

That wold totally explain it - Maxlife Engine Protector is thick enough the have changed the viscosity.....it also explains the moly, as HD diesel oils like this 'usually' do not have moly in them.....

Quote:

That wold totally explain it - Maxlife Engine Protector is thick enough the have changed the viscosity.....it also explains the moly, as HD diesel oils like this 'usually' do not have moly in them.....

I think moly was basically from BG MOA Maxlife engine protector might have some but not significant enough, it is basically a seal conditioner. I have posted a VOA on BG MOA in VOA section.

I got the oil from Castrol distributor for about $25.00 a gallon delivered to door.

Thanks,

-Ankur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back