What Type of ATF to use....93 Buick LeSabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a really nice 93 LeSabre with over 100K miles on it...I want to change all the fluids and hoses, etc. After readiing this forum, I am really confused....

Some threads recommend Maxlife ATF, some Synthetic Dexron III and now Dexron VI....

I don't intend to fluch it, but rather drop the pan, change the filter and refill it. Also, I want to add a drain plug and change the fluid (the 3 quarts I can get out of it) every oil change for a while....

So, what would be the better option for ATF??? Thanks in advance....

Dave
dunno.gif

If you're going to change it at every oil change, get the cheapest DexronIII/Mercon ATF. After a while of doing that, then perhaps going to Maxlife ATF, Mobil 1 ATF, Amsoil ATF, or Dexron VI with drains every 3-4 oil changes.

is it a 3 speed or 4 speed trans, I have a 93 oldsmobile with the th125/3t40 trans. I have been using supertech dex/merc 3. I had a friend of mine weld a nut to the trans pan. Since I put in the drain plug I have been doing a lot of low mileage drains to get all the fluid %100 flushed.

If you don't go the drain plug route I recomend the more expensive fluid. If you do the drain plug and short interval drains then go for the cheaper fluid at first.

I'd use Chevron's MD-3 which is what they have to call their DEXRON III fluid now. You should be able to get more like 6 quarts by dropping the pan on that transmission, which is half the fluid. Doing this twice will exchange just as much fluid as a flushing machine would.

The myth that flushing changes more fluid then other methods is hogwash. When the new fluid returns to the tranny it mixes with the old fluid so you really don't get out all the old fluid this way either.

-T

I'd be a leery of changing out the existing fluid cold-turkey at that mileage without knowing how long it's been in there. If it's original fluid, the TQ is probably filthy.

Partial fills from pan drops aren't going to do the trick IMO.

If it were mine, I'd first run a 1500 mile ARX cleaning on the existing fluid, and then move it over to a complete Dex VI refill. Dex VI is not that expensive if you shop around.

The drain plug is a nice idea for partial refills, but you should be able to do a much better drain off the cooler lines.

This more than likely has the 4T60E transmission. I have one of those in my '04 Grand Prix and I get 6-7 Qts out of it with a pan drop and filter change. You need to get something designed for Dex III or Dex VI specifications. Dex VI is the latest specification and is the replacement for Dex III. Either will work fine but any Dex VI will be a better fluid than a cheap Dex III but the synthetic Dex III fluids are possibly as good as the Dex VI. My 4T60E has 208,000 miles on it with no issues and I've only ever used non-syn Dex III. I've always done pan drops with a filter change every 30,000 miles. Using some ARX for 1500 miles wouldn't be a bad idea, I've done it on a used car I bought and it certainly didn't hurt anything. If the fluid already looks really good it may not be worth it to do a ARX or if you know for sure it has been serviced regularly before you bought it. You'll find recommendations for all kinds of brands. Decide what you want to spend and buy the best you can afford as long as it meets Dex III or Dex VI spec's. I just changed an older GM transmission (4L60E) over to GM brand Dex VI and I can't tell a difference in performance. It still works good. I've got Mobil 1 ATF in a 4T65E and it is fine as well. Make sure you change it often enough for the quality of fluid you buy and you'll be fine depending on the transmissions history. How it has been treated in the past before you bought it will make more difference than on what brand fluid you buy now in my opinion. Good luck.

If it is working good I would go with Dex-VI. This way if you change the fluid every oil change in 3-4 oil changes you will basicly have changed out all the fluid in the transmission to synthetic with out going to the trouble of flushing. Their is no need to flush in an automatic when going to synthetic since transmissions do not get that dirty.After about the forth change you will be able to easily go 50,000-100,000 miles with the Dex-VI in their.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back