ATF for 2006 Nissan Frontier Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I planning to change the ATF in my 2006 Nissan Frontier V-6 Automatic. THe Nissan Workshop Manual Specifies Nissan J Type ATF, but has a note that says Dexron III / Mercon is OK. Any reason not to use the Deron III?

Ed

Amsoil ATF has done great in my wife's 2004 Nissan Sentra, and she even commented on how much smoother it shifts now. Aside from the first shift, which is pretty smooth, I don't really feel it shift through the other gears.

Oops, meant to also add a response to your other part.

I don't see any real reason not to use DexronIII/Mercon, unless it begins to shift roughly. I would try a multi-vehicle ATF, like Castrol, if you're not wanting to spend the money for the higher priced synthetics.

DexronIII isn't good enough for transmissions using J-matic.

Use a multivehicle ATF.

why does a one year old vehicle need a fuild change.

Quote:

I planning to change the ATF in my 2006 Nissan Frontier V-6 Automatic. THe Nissan Workshop Manual Specifies Nissan J Type ATF, but has a note that says Dexron III / Mercon is OK. Any reason not to use the Deron III?

Ed

Don't worry about the time. Maybe the vehicle is worked? or has been driven a bunch of miles?

PM can be done at ANY time if the owner chooses to do so. I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance.

I also haven't seen too many positive ATF UOAs. Seems like we are all driving our vehicles into the ground. The power/weight of vehicles, along with typical aggresive driving styles, is beating transmissions to death. A little ATF maintenance will do plenty to extend the life of the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back