Oil Recommendation for 04 Acura TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my wife's care. She's always just had the dealership change the oil but I'm wanting to start doing the change myself.

Car has just below 30k miles on it.

Thanks!

Amsoil 5w-20, PP 5w-20, Havoline 5w-20 in that order. Those are what I believe are the best 3 20wt oils on the market.

Quote:

It is my wife's care. She's always just had the dealership change the oil but I'm wanting to start doing the change myself.

Car has just below 30k miles on it.

Thanks!

What does the owner's manual say regarding the weight of oil to use?

How many miles per year does your wife drive?

What kind of driving does she do? (City, Highway, Mix, etc.)

How many miles do you want to go between changing the oil?

I've used Amsoil 5-20 in my 2004 TL since new and I've been satisfied with the results. I've also posted several test results on the board you could easily find with a search. Good luck.

PP 0W-20(hard to find), Mobil 1 0W-20, Motorcraft 5W-20, or regular Pennzoil 5W-20 in that order...

Depends on your OCI...

How much $$ do you want to spend on the oil?

Is there a warranty to consider?

Is there any particular brand you WON'T use?

If you're going to go 3-5K miles between oil changes don't waste your money on synthetic. Just get Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 or $10.36 for a 5 quart bottle.

Quote:

If you're going to go 3-5K miles between oil changes don't waste your money on synthetic. Just get Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 or $10.36 for a 5 quart bottle.

The MC is hard to find around here. Would the Tropartic be a good sub since CP make the MC as well?

Quote:

Quote:

The MC is hard to find around here. Would the Tropartic be a good sub since CP make the MC as well?

Yes, if you can find it in a 5W-20 (I'm not sure it's even manufactured as such).

Yeah, I can get the Tropartic 5W-20 all day long. Already have a stash in fact. I change the oil on my Mom's Lincoln and it calls for the MC 5W-20. Since you can't find it around here I started using the TP 5W-20 in her car.

Looks like you've found a good oil (TA)...

Use it with a good filter and 5k OCI will never be a problem...

Quote:

Looks like you've found a good oil (TA)...

Use it with a good filter and 5k OCI will never be a problem...

I'm gonna look and see if Baldwin has a filter that will fit her car. I've used Baldwin filters on 3 vehices now, Dodge Durango, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Sequoia and have never had an issue with them.

What also might want to consider, something I've been thinking about as well, is using Amsoil's Eao oil filters and any 5w-20 GF-4/SM oil. This way you can keep the oil filter for 20k miles or so, and just change the oil every 5-6k miles. Also look into getting a fumoto drain valve. Makes changing the oil a lot easier! No mess.

I just went thru this with a new '05 Ford Duratec 3L. I did 3K OCI with MC 5W20 lend until ~18K. Ford recommends 5K OCI.

I just switched to PP synth and 5K OCI for two reasons. One is I could get PP for less $ than MC and I feel more comfortable with a synth for my 'extended drain' 5K OCI. Second less hassle prying vehicle loose from wife. Note: I have had some bad luck with Mfg recommended schedules.

I can get MC change done cheap at Ford dealer but then my wife must wait hours and goes shopping !! There in lies the true expense.

Oh yea, I am willing to use any brand synth that meets Ford '930 spec. at 5K OCI but must be less than $4/qt. (economic breakeven) Walmart sells the MC at ~$2.25 and PP at $4.

Change the oil everytime... I would use Castrol GTX since you're changing at low mileage and you probably can't get TA 5w-20. I would do 5K changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back