Bleed brakes -- rounded the bolts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went about changing my brakes and wanted to bleed it while the tires were off, but then when I tried my best to loosen the bleed screw and it wouldn't budge inspite of spraying it with PB Blaster. Eventually the screw head stripped and rounded off and that was it ..

How do I loosen a stripped screw? I used pliers but then there was nothing to hold onto...
mad.gif

Hm...I don't know what kind of bleeders you have, but the one's I've seen take like a 6pt wrench or socket over the end to loosen/tighten. If you actually have screws like phillips or flat head maybe you can use 'ez-out' screw extractors those work fairly well from what I've tried.

Vise Grips are usually the best option at that point.

A 6-point socket that only contacts the flats of the head is a must when bleeding brakes!

I used a 6 point wrench in place of a socket, and with the PB Blaster, it is bit slippery. Sucker rounded off and now I am stuck, I will get a vise grip and then give it a shot.

I remember applying the right torque when I bled it the last time, shouldn't they make these bolts little bit harder, since the caliper is real solid steel!!

Same soft bolts on the caliper pin too that holds the caliper to the frame, easily gets rounded off.

Wow that stinks that they rounded off. Were you using an SAE wrench and the fittings are metric or something maybe?

They should come out with vise grips. Then just pick up a set of bleeder screws; those shouldn't be too expensive or at most $10 for a pair of speed bleeders from Summit.

I must have bled atleast half a dozen times, it is time the bleed screws were replaced!! I don't mind replacing them but then I need to get the old ones out first which is the real challenge.

I used the right wrench but the culprit was the PB blaster which made the surface slippery and aggrevating the problem!!!

I have the same problem, bleeder seized up real good
mad.gif

I have seen a racheting tool at Sears that grabs rounded off bolts, but I didn't want to pony up the cash for one until I see it on sale. I'm replacing my calipers anyway. Tomorrow, hopefully...

Craftsman does sell a set of something similar to sockets than can help to get out rounded off nuts and bolts. They grab the outside of a nut/bolt as opposed to an EZ-OUT. But they may not make them small enpugh for a bleeder screw. I agree with the use of a vise-grip. Maybe some heat and more PB-Blaster.

Have a couple of spare calipers/wheel cylinders handy when you snap them off. They won't take that kind of pressure as the bolts are hollow and very weak.

Been there done that.

Vise grips will almost certainly work. While some people bugger up every fastener they see, by using them as a wrench substitute, there is a place for them, and this is one such place. Be careful not to apply any load out of the rotational plain, or you are likely to break them off, in which case an easy-out will probably work.

Mentioned this in a previous bleeder thread, but have been too lazy to look up actual manufacturer. Have seen add in trade magazine for specialized bleeder removal tool. Has super hard splined stem that drives into bleeder cavity, then socket tool similar to splined ones mentioned earlier from Sears fits over splines and whatever is left of bleed shoulders. Grips two different surfaces at the same time. Inside of bleeder with splined stem and outside of bleeder. Only reason I haven't found and bought a set is because I"ve been really lucky with bleeders in thelast few years. Also new wheel cylinders and rebuild calipers are now so cheap my customers can't afford to pay my labor rates when replacement is cheaper.

Bob

Before you grab that bleeder screw with the vise grips, stick a small phillips screwdriver or a nail or something in the hollow part of the bleeder first so it doesn't crush. If that happens, you'll never get it out. Be careful how much heat you apply, you may fry the piston seals. Apply penetrating oil with a q tip to keep the hex dry. Set the vise grips, give the handle a light wack. The shock should break the bleeder loose. Put a little anti sieze on the new bleeder screw. It seals down low. Water could theoretically get into the threads and lay there because there's nowhere for it to drain out.

Quote:

I must have bled atleast half a dozen times, it is time the bleed screws were replaced!! I don't mind replacing them but then I need to get the old ones out first which is the real challenge.

I used the right wrench but the culprit was the PB blaster which made the surface slippery and aggrevating the problem!!!

I've had personal experience w/ Speed Bleeders and it wasn't nice.

The bleeder material is soft and easy to damage. They use SAE wrench size on a metric bleeder for some reason and don't make that point well known. Machining finish was very rough (got slivers in my finger).

Finally, speed bleeders depend on a sealing compound to prevent air being pulled into the brake system while bleeding. This compound on the threads makes it very difficult to detect when a seal has been achieved and leads to over-torquing the bleeder. After struggling w/ the first bleeder, I went back to conventional bleeders. No need to create a problem where none exists.

I've found a very short, 10mm closed end to work well for bleeding (metric bleeders). Frequently, brake lines, drum or other parts reduce access space and the short wrench really helps. I install a short length of 5/16" (not sure of size) clear vinyl tubing over the bleeder nipple and direct the bleed fluid into a cut-off detergent jug using the handle opening to hold the stiff bleed tube in place. My wife operates the brake pedal, occasionally causing some marital discord, when she forgets to call "holding" back to me!

good luck

Quote:

My wife operates the brake pedal, occasionally causing some marital discord, when she forgets to call "holding" back to me!

You aren't alone, I have to go an extra mile to take her out to a good restaurant to complete the day.
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

My wife operates the brake pedal, occasionally causing some marital discord, when she forgets to call "holding" back to me!

You aren't alone, I have to go an extra mile to take her out to a good restaurant to complete the day.
wink.gif

Those speed bleeders are starting to sound like a bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back