Interesting warning on CRC Throttle Body Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a can of this stuff and it says:

"DO NOT use on vehicles equipped with superchargers, turbochargers, diesel engines, and/or rotary engines."

Why not use it on a vehicle equipped with a turbocharger?

Are they afraid someone will spray it into the turbocharger???

Yes. I've seen people use starting fluid on a turbo diesel before, so why not? I think they are worried about it burning before entering the combustion chamber.

Diesels is obvious. Rotaries less so, but it could de-lubricate the rotor housing.

As T-Keith suggests, maybe they are worried about it catching fire as it passes through a compressor.

Possible they are covering all bases.

Apparantly some turbo/superchargers are "suck through" not "blow through" so they mount after the TB/carb. Can't think of a modern example.

All modern setups have the throttle body AFTER the Supercharger or Turbo. The old roots blowers are the only one that has Carb on top.
I have used the CRC-TB cleaner on my Supercharged engine

I just used it to clean the throttle body on my 2006 Saab 93. It worked fine. The throttle body wasn't dirty but there was a light coating of oil further into the intake. I used a shop rag wrapped around my gloved finger to clean it.

On a Side note; my 93 Bronoco has the 302 in it. There is a sticker on the throttle body that warns AGAINST cleaning the throttle body with any chemical. At 170,000 miles it looks kinda funky inside there so I am tempted to clean it.

On the Ford you need to use a cleaner safe for coated throttle bodies--the CRC stuff, I believe, says it is right on the can.

Be careful on the Fords. The coating on the throttle blade and the bore is dark and can be confused with gunk. I am still an adcovate of the FoMoCo "Foamy Throttle Body Cleaner". It was a good cleaner and has enough lube in it so no bushings got too "dry".

Moreover on what punisher stated...

Ford has a really decent Throttle Body cleaner, used to be part number D9AZ-19572-AA, IIRC. Blue can, white foamy substance...an excellent product. Does Ford still sell it (albeit with a more recent part number)? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to use Ford's own TB cleaner on a Ford car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back