GC vs Castrol 5W-40 Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted that I saw GC for the first time in an other post. Along with the GC I saw Castrol Syntec 5W-40. It had on the front label that it was European Formula for VW,BMW,MB, etc.

Is this stuff (5W-40 Syntec any good?)Looking at oils for my 2006 VW GTI with the 2.0T FSI engine. VW calls for 5W-40 spec. 502.00 Both GC and the 5-40 meet the 502.00 rating.

Also still considering Lubro-Moly 5W-40 full synthetic.

What is the opinion of others on the two Castrol oils against each other as well as the Lubro-Moly vs the Castrol.

Thanks,

David

The spec speaks for itself. I'd wager that the 5w40 Syntec is right up there in quality and performance with the few other 5w40 oils. Don't hesitate to use it.

I believe the consensus is that the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is a high-quality oil, but not in the same league as GC. The 5W-40 Syntec used to be made in Belgium, thus folks here referred to it as "BC". Production of it has recently shifted from Belgium to the U.S., IIRC.

Many VW dealers here in New England use Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and their standard oil for VW's including turbos and the TDI diesel. I would say it's pretty close in quality to the 0W-30 German Castrol

I have used Lubro Molly 5W-50 Volle Synthese (Full Synthetic) and their 10W-40 MoS2 oil (which is not a quality synthetic blend) to great results in my BMW 540iA.

I tried the GC, as well BC but got much better fuel mileage with the Lubro Molly products. Of the two L Molly products I got best gas mileage with the 10W-40 MoS2 oil. However also had good results with the 5W-40 VS. The engine did start quicker during cold weather and ran smoother with the VS 5W-40. I ended up using the 10W-40 in summer months and 5W-40 in winter.

GC and BC might be better quality oils, but I think you can get just as good results, and much cheaper ( at least for me at advance auto for L molly compared to auto zone for GC and BC). My advance auto sells 5 Liter bottles of the 10W-40 MoS2 for 19.50. that works out to less than 3.75 per quart for the 10W-40 synthetic blend.

If lobro molly was an american co they would certainly call the 10W-40 a "full synthetic" oil. Not sure if it is a hydrocracked group III or a combo of group II and group III. Maybe other members of the board can speak to that point.

Every single VW dealership that I know of services VW 1.8T/2.0T/2.5 engines with Castrol 5w-40.

I'm sure that the 5w-40 is good enough, even if it is not identical to GC in quality...

Quote:

Every single VW dealership that I know of services VW 1.8T/2.0T/2.5 engines with Castrol 5w-40.

I'm sure that the 5w-40 is good enough, even if it is not identical to GC in quality...

Lots of dealers put dino in turbos, still, even after all the technical bulletins telling them not to
wink.gif

But yes, "BC" is still fine and will make for a happy Volkswagen.

BC lacks VW LL 503.01 spec and was formulated in 1998 with a magnesium-based additive package to meet the VW502/A3 spec. Nothing special in my book. I am a Castrol fan, but would prefer Delvac-1 or even Rotella Synth.

Lubro Molly Voll Synthese is the only oil I've used in my 93 BMW with great results. Definately not considering anything else at this juncture.

The new Audi FSI engines seem to have a generic issue with excessive fuel dilution and high rates of iron wear. I'd tend to use a thicker (HT/HS > 4.0 Cp), SAE 5w-40 in this motor instead of an SAE 0w-30 simply for this reason....

It doesn't matter how robust the additive chemistry is if the basestock is too thin for the application....

That issue with the fuel and iron levels is a concern of mine. What is the feeling about M1 0W-40 in this application? I'm using the M1 now and my UOA at 5,300 miles showed some elevated iron levels along with some vis. reduction to a 30 weight from fuel.

Is there a 5W-40 oil that would be better than the M1 0W-40 in this application-FSI 2.0T gas VW/Audi engine?

David

Just about ANY 5w-40 synthetic would be better than the Mobil 1, 0w-40 in this application...but I digress.
smile.gif

Seriously though, Mobils own (PAO based) "Delvac 1", 5w-40 is their best product for this application. The only drawbacks to using it are that it's significantly more expensive then their 0w-40 (which should tell you something right there) and it's only available in one gallon containers and bulk packaging.

I've been involved with Amsoil for almost thirty years and consider Delvac 1 to be one the best competitive oils out there. The other nice thing about Delvac 1 is that it's excellent for use in wet clutch motorcycles calling for an SAE 10w-40 or 20w-40 grade (I checked your sig.)

Quote:

Seriously though, Mobils own (PAO based) "Delvac 1", 5w-40 is their best product for this application. The only drawbacks to using it are that it's significantly more expensive then their 0w-40 (which should tell you something right there) and it's only available in one gallon containers and bulk packaging.

Also sold as Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, although it can be difficult to locate. I've seen it here in MN at Mill's Fleet Farm for about $5.50/quart (if memory serves).

I can get the M1 5W-40 SUV/Turbo oil. It does not have the VW 502.00 rating. Can anyone shed some light on that rating?

Would using the M1 5W-40 instead of M1 0W-40 or Castrol Syntec 5W-40 be the way to go in my '06 VW with the 2.0T FSI gas engine?

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back