Ford 4.6L V8 Water inlet/oil filter base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks: I have noticed that the oil filter base and water inlet to the engine are on one a piece casting that is bolted to the block. Does this piece act as an oil cooler/heat exchanger? Thanks.

1d7e_1_b.JPG

It kinda looks like it would perform that function ..if this is what you have. It appears Ford went to stuff like this with their diesels too. This is just the first one I could find. I've seen others for the modular that appear even more integrated to the coolant system ...with or w/o the laminar cooler in the lower rad hose.

Not really, Ford has a different unit used on the Cobras and police packages that is actually a cooler. All that does is relocate the filter to clear.

I found these pictures of the cooler used on a police car version of the 4.6. That old thing is really cruddy looking. And look at those leaky oil hoses. I wouldn't want that on my car. It looks like a potato trying to have kids!
The new part looks like mine. Would there be a bit of heat exchange going on with the oil and coolant flowing right next to each other? The oil and water quite close together.
Here's the pics. http://www.p71interceptor.com/oilcooler/index.html
I have a donut type water to oil cooler sitting around that came off of an Escape with a trailer towing package. It takes the same filter as the 4.6, FL820S. Think it would work?

Thats not the one to which I was referring. There is a different one in use that is compact and does not use hoses. Why that one does I don't know. That may be a very early modular unit.

5e_1.JPG

Some cobras had this type of cooler. I think that they extended the use of the 5.0 longer then the rest of the line. I guess they could use it on the modular.

All the CV coolers that I'm aware of for the modular engines is the lower rad hose laminar cooler. The 5.0 in the CV had radiator coolers with a pressure regulated sandwich adapter ..IIRC from the mid 80's to 91
dunno.gif

0f_1.JPG

Here's what Laminova makes for the LS1 power steering cooler.

power_apps01.jpg

They also make the Ford OEM lower rad hose cooler that was shown on the referenced page ..as they do Aeroquip's rad hose cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back