coolant brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do a coolant flush in a little while, using Dex-cool coolant. I want to use Zerex because I like Ashland products, but I can only find Prestone or Havoline. Is there any difference between Prestone, Havoline and Zerex other than price? Is one better than the other?

Presumably you're aware of the following DEX-COOL and "dexclone" antifreeze products:

GM Mr. Goodwrench DEX-COOL (GM licensed - Duhh...)
Prestone DEX-COOL (GM licensed)
Havoline DEX-COOL (GM Lisensed)
Zerex ExtremeLife
SuperTech All Makes Extended Life
Advance Auto All Makes Extended Life
(there may be others I'm not aware of)

The licensed products display the DEX-COOL name. The unlicensed products are not lisensed to display the DEX-COOL name, so they don't. (But the ingredients listing tells all. Just remember that "DEX-COOL" is a performance spec., not a specific formula. All DEX-COOL and "dexclone" antifreeze/coolants share OAT corrosion protection chemistry and zero silicate content.) Prestone supplies the "dexclone" syrup that's dispensed into SuperTech and Advance Auto jugs. That and the different dye marker coloring are all that separate any of them. (Oh, yeah, and price...) If you own a car under warranty that requires DEX-COOL, better have receipts showing you used the lisensed stuff to avoid hassles in the event of cooling system problems. (might wanna save the jug, too)

I've now had the SuperTech All Makes 5yr./150,000 mile concentrate diluted 50/50 with distilled water in my '03 Sonata 2.7L V6 for over a year and a half. No problems at all - haven't even had to top it up, yet.

Hmmmm, The Zerex stuff says its "approved by GM to the GM 6277M Dexcool specs." and "Zerex ExtremeLife 5/150 is a Dexcool-compatible formula and recommended by Valvoline for GM vehicles manufactured since 1996." So I figured it was OK to use. Perhaps it will be better just to use the Havoline Dexcool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back