coolant has to be 50/50? why

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Using distilled didn't cause your problem an air pocket did!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91800 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Maybe it was an air pocket, but I added distilled water till the water started to over flow. Maybe I'll try it again I guess. We'll see.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
... I have never heard of a manufacturer stating to use 100% antifreeze in an engine...

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
You guys should read the info on waterless coolant.

I finally got around to opening this thread after hearing about Evans NPG+ (Non-aqueous Propylene-Glycol {enhanced} waterless coolant on a "Trucks" segment on SpikeTV this afternoon. Spector, Rolls Royce advised nothing but undilute antifreeze/coolant concentrate for years. So, read for yourselves - the company has extensive information to back their claims on their website. By the way, this stuff has a boiling point of +375 F. with a 4-7 psi cap (+265 F. with traditional 50/50 ethylene-glycol/water mixes with a 15 psi cap) As near as I can tell from the propylene-glycol data page, it protects from freezing down to -50 F. (-34 F. for traditional 50/50 ethylene-glycol/water mixes). If Evans is right, everyone else is wrong and throwing water into any automotive cooling system is just asking for corrosion disaster. I'm not qualified to assess the validity of Evans' claims, but their site does make for thought provoking reading.

[ July 27, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

not that it matters to anyone here but i changed to a 70/30 mix of water to coolant. i thought that sence i never had problems with overheating at 50-50 then 80/20 was overkill. 70/30 should give better corrosion protection hopfully
tongue.gif

and i do call it coolant now :\ i found out that most laymen dont realise what "radiator fluid" is. but everyone knows what coolant is :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back