Re: Meguiar's Cleaner Wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is just baically a wax and a polish in one bottle. ur car looks much better with the stages of cleaning, waxing and polishing.

the cleaner wax is made to be a stand alone, just like mequiores #20 "polymer sealent".

it will give a nice shine but not as much as a 3 or 4 step process.

i tried it, it works really well. but i like the 3 step process...

its about 5 dollars for that bottle. good if u dont have too much time on ur hands.

I used to only use Meguiar's until the new formulation came out. The new ones say something like "New and Improved" on it. They don't seem to last as long as the older formulation and what's worse is it's a pain in the sphincter to remove.

The old one was very easy, it just came right off as dry dust. The new one seems to stick together, clump up and as you wipe it off, the clumps would smear and if as if you're waxing your car again. Which isn't a bad thing, if that extra layer helped make the wax last longer. I thought at first put too much wax on or didn't let it dry long enough, but it still smeared after I left a light coat dry overnight.

Both formulations still gives a great shine for just about everyone. I have a 14 year old car that most people still think is brand new and I still get complements at least once every two months.

Too bad the new formulation isn't working out for me. I have been using Meguiar's for 8 years and I'm sad to say after I'm done with this bottle, I'm trying two other recommended non-carnuba waxes, Nu-finish (lasts a long time) or Zaino (shiny!)

[ November 01, 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: razel ]

I used it over the weekend but I now use it only on finishes that have not been waxed in ages and/or need some stain removal. It is, after all, a cleaner more then a wax and does remove some paint in the process. Once the finish is clean I only use pure waxes or polishes with no abrasives in them like Collinite or Zaino etc. A zillion of them out there.

I've used this a couple times on my car. It seemed to do a good job, it even removed some "dirt" that my washing didn't.

I didn't notice it removing any paint, but that is a good point.

It gave a good shine to my 6 year old paint and seemed to last longer than most other waxes I've tried.

Then again...... I'm not a 3-4 step process guy. I like to get a nice shine 1 in step, so it's worked well for me.

I also gave it a try on my dad's 2003 Explorer, it looked just as good. It looked so good I talked myself out of polishing it.
burnout.gif

[ November 03, 2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: goldfinger ]

I swear, 99% of waxes I see now are "cleaner waxes," and most car soap I see has wax in it. I personally don't find it to be too much of a hassle to use a polish/sealer once or twice a year then a regular wax.

Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is the best thing I've been able to find that is usually available locally. It's carnauba + polymers, and lasts a pretty long time. It's the only Meguiar's thing I would use. Cleaner wax isn't ideal, and Meguiar's Gold Class wax only lasts about two days.

Meguiar's #26 also has a good banana-like smell. OK, I'm a little nuts, but I like all the smells when I'm washing the car. Zymol car soap smells really good, too -- like suntan lotion. And then there's the Orange Blast wheel cleaner I got at Wal-Mart... Smells pretty good for a hardcore acide wheel cleaner.

quote:

Originally posted by BadBatsuMaru:
I swear, 99% of waxes I see now are "cleaner waxes," and most car soap I see has wax in it. I personally don't find it to be too much of a hassle to use a polish/sealer once or twice a year then a regular wax.

99% of waxes you see on store shelves are cleaner waxes for a reason. It's not some case of companies trying to frustrate the enthusiast and push cheap stuff on people, it's just that 99% of car owners simply wouldn't know what to do with a pure, cleanerless wax like #26. They'd probably just try to apply it after washing like their Turtle Wax and be disappointed, or would have problems and blame the product, saying that it was crap.

You have to remember that for most car owners waxing is a dumb, stupid chore that they only do if they absolutely have to, and even then they only want to expend the minimum amount of effort needed. That's the *only* reason why companies sell so many cleaner waxes and "wash & wax" shampoos. Enthusiasts like you and I only make up a small portion of the total market.

I agree also, that #26 smells quite pleasant, and the "cheap" blue Zymol auto wash is a great shampoo that smells terrific. As for the Orange Blast though, you're CRAZY!
grin.gif
Stop sniffing that stuff, it's bad for you.
tongue.gif

The #26 is good but more difficult to remove then Zaino and very difficult to remove from vinyl, plastic etc when it gets into cracks and dries white or yellow. Hard to remove in the sun as well.

with mequires u never apply in the sun.

the trick wiht # 26 is to let it dry for 20 minutes....

i have a problem removing their polish.

but thats why u dont get it in the trouble spots...

i posted about this in this forum last night about mequires pro series wax...check it out.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
Your thoughts/opinions on Meguiar's Cleaner Wax? Thanks

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax should be called Glaze and Wax. There is very little in the way of cleaners i.e. mild abrasives.

The best way to use the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is to do a cleaner step, first. That could be the Pro Series fine cut cleaner or the maroon bottle Step 1 cleaner or using a claybar of your choice. For a neglected car; go with the cleaner. For a well cared for vehice, a claybar works great.

I do this (2 step) instead of the 3 step (cleaner, glaze, and sealer wax which is the best) for reasons of time and having a young child.

My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back