PCV Catch-Can and Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so it gives more evidence that there is a "sweet spot" for oil thats between ~1K and ~5K old. The ZDDP also takes some time to fully activate as well, usually the first 1K miles.

Fresh oil volatilizes the quickest, with the lighter elements burning off sooner. 5W and 0W oils especially, and dino oils more than sythetics.

Might also have something to do a higher oil level in the engine right after a change, too.

NOACK readings, doncha know...
cool.gif

My mix is 4 quarts 5W20 Havoline, 1 quart 15W50 Mobil 1, and a full bottle of VSOT. Makes about a 10~15W thick 30. Oil level is the same, actually it never changes within the 5K range.

Its not lighter elements burning off, its raw fresh oil ending up sucked into the PCV. The stuff caught in the PCV catch appears to be identical to the stuff I just poured into the engine.

Also, it might be a sign that you are overfilling your crankcase a bit and when the oil level falls to where the crank is not slapping the oil as much and churning it up, you will get less oil in the PCV system.

Remember to not fill your crankcase to the stick level, you find out the actualy amount the engine needs with a filter change.

If I fill my truck to full it is esentially 1/2 quart overfilled.

Oil level is the same at the top mark 1 mile into the OCI and 5K into the OCI. Been doing the same thing since 97 to this truck (165K miles) The 4 or so tablespoons would not affect the dipstick reading much.

Changed my oil and again found the same strange thing happen. Right after changing the oil for about the first 500 miles the catch can will fill up quickly, say about 3~4 tablespoons worth. I got a tablespoon in the first 20 miles on the highway yesterday with the fresh oil! So I drain the catch can and then little to nothing new will happen for the next 4500 miles (I do 5K changes) I have zero oil consumption with a 5K change basically. This is now the 4th time I have seen this, is anyone else seeing this happen?

basically it seems like the blowby is at its worst with fresh oil........

But really, are you filling to the top of the dipstick or are you putting in what the manual asks you to add?

Since the first oil change, I have used the same amount everytime (4 quarts) and it reaches the top of the dipstick perfectly. Thats the amount manual states as well (I just double checked online at Amsoil website).

That point is really moot though as this has been observed on 3 different cars I own now.

"mine is doing the same"

And this is what I find REALLY interesting
wink.gif

Hypothetically if fresh oil gets aerated that much easier than just 1K mile oil, then this is serious news bigtime, especially for engine builders, race engines, etc. I have been thinking of using 1K old Delo in my daily driver, then transferring it to my new built engine(s) for break-in, that was for the ZDDP activation deal. Now if fresh oil also aerates easier, then I definately want slightly used oil for break-in, or running in my drag race only engine that can't get more than a few hours of use before the next oil change.

I usually redline my car everyday, sometimes i hold rpms above 5k while engine braking or just being lazy to shift, and in the 3500 miles i've been on tropartic 5w30 in my 1994 civic ex (sohc vtec), i've only had to add 1/4 quart of 'makeup' oil.

Just a note, I recently removed this catch can from my car. While doing an oil change (after about 2k with the catch can) I found nothing in the can. It had a slight coating on the inside walls, but that was it. No accumulation.

Congrats on a clean running car. My catch can has more stuff in it recently and some milky looking stuff at the bottom. I think the lower temps (ha! CA) has helped additional stuff condense.

What you guys need to do is put that can somewhere that is cool. Most of the blowby is a gas and will not get trapped unless it is condensed. What I have seen is about 30ml a 30 mile trip, more if cold and and humid. About 50% or the condensed liquid is water.

I have my home made one mounted in the fenderwell and it works great. Keeps the intake nice and clean. Used a 9" long piece of 3" aluminum conduit with two ports on the same end. Then put a piece of polypropylene down the middle separating the two which makes the gas travel down one side and back out the other.

Rubber caps on the end because they are cheap and easy. And a spring loaded drain valve that seals with engine vacuum and opens when the engine is shut off, draining the contents out.

-

quote:

Originally posted by 2002 Maxima SE:
Got mine off ebay. Works as advertised. Wallet still healthy.
smile.gif

-

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm curious as to how that catch can is holding up for you. Think it's possible to undo the screws on the inlets/outlets?

I'm currently the high bidder on a Greddy catch can, but I will most likely lose. If so, I'll probably end up getting the same eBay catch can you have, if I can figure out how to stuff it full of steel wool...

quote:

Originally posted by Pranav:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm curious as to how that catch can is holding up for you. Think it's possible to undo the screws on the inlets/outlets?

I'm currently the high bidder on a Greddy catch can, but I will most likely lose. If so, I'll probably end up getting the same eBay catch can you have, if I can figure out how to stuff it full of steel wool...

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=002724;p=3#000072

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back