PCV Catch-Can and Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try running a bottle of VSOT, it caused my 3 vehicles with catch cans like above to dramatically decrease the oil amount that was caught. I posted my findings in more detail in the general auto section today. I also use the same style catch can as the above picture. When I first started I could get the above in about 1K miles, now I can't get half that in 4K miles. I used the VSOT with 5W20 so it wasn't the effect of thicker oil that helped. Also I found the oil stays clear much longer now.

mjo: i took out the filter element this weekend. it seems like it is too restrictive once it gets dirty/saturated. at first i'm sure it works fine, but after a few thousand miles i wouldn't trust it to flow well enough. thanks for the heads up about it.

You should then clean it everyime you empty the plastic vial.

Very easy and would solve your problem.

Update: After 1000 miles, there is not even 1/2" in the little bottle. Leading me to conclude that in my engine, oil consumption =/ oil collected in can. Oh well, at least I know my engine runs fractionally cleaner that way. I also noticed the higher revving I drive, the more oil is collected in there, slightly more. Blow-by is at play here. And the PCV system is doing its job.

Here are some pictures of the install for y'all DIYers, no pictures after 1000 miles yet:
Catch-Can Isometric View
Catch-Can Front View
SOHC VTEC Valvetrain @ 131.5k miles
Valve Cover @ 131.5k miles

Slightly more varnish than after end of 2 AutoRX treatments 10k miles ago. About to start LC and FP maint doses. Compression as of 10k miles ago was 170/160/160/160psi. Before AutoRX, Cyl3 was only 140psi. Will take another reading at the beginning of LC/FP useage and then after 10k miles.

[ October 22, 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: VelociRacer ]

Just to mention that I had a leak through the bottom of the catch can because I'm using synthetic motor oil. The remedy was easy, all I did was unscrew the bleed valve, cleaned out the oily "can" with solvent, and filled the hole with epoxy.

I have the same catch can as the picture above and no leaks after 9 months with synthetics on 3 vehicles.

Probably a piece of grit or something was holding the valve open.

The epoxy idea is pretty well perfect though whether synthetic or not.

Along with PCV Catch-can there is a product that is much the same that is called a "Condensator"the company makes wild claims about power/mileage/ and how clean the engine is. I have seen them but dont know anyone who has installed for more info see there web site: condensatorsales.com

i choose the accurate mach works catch can its all alum. has a stainless steel wire mesh inside a container within the main container that catches the filtered vapors..it really comes out super clean and dry on the end to the throttle body not even any residue inside the hose..the price has gone up from 95 bucks with all the hardware to 165 bucks i bought three for my vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by sifan:
Those cheap $20 catch cans on eBay are very likely to leak under high pressure, which will do more harm than good.

Check out the PCV oil catch can made by Boomba:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2559082#post2559082

It costs $115 a piece. It has a clear window on the can unlike the other cheap cans with a clear outside tube that will leak.

Says who?

100s have installed them and never had a problem. The failure rate for the ebay ones is on par with the failure rate for your over-priced gouging catch cans which do the same job that you seem to push in this thread.

Everyone knows that there is no difference between the $20 ebay ones and your US$100+ variety.

You saying that the ebay units fail is just pure baseless opinion backed with zero fact.
nono.gif

try 10 inches of vacuum instead of PSI

Actually it would see a peak of around 30" of vacuum with engine braking.

I haven't paid as close attention to it yet, but it does seem that way with my car on 5-6k OCI with Mobil 1. Seems to collect a lot at first, then the level barely changes for the rest of the OCI. I wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back