can coil packs be cleaned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
92 legend, 50K, has coil packs which have some carbon build-up on the electrode. car has a slightly trembly idle. can these coil packs be cleaned. the electrode is about 4 inches inside the plug cover and I can't figure out how to clean it. should I use, brake cleaner, intake manifold cleaner, use a long screwdriver and chisel it off(will take hours). I've checked the ohms and all six are perfectly within spec.

thanks.

i am by no means an expert, but have you thought about adjusting the idle speed?

I would wire brush them (with a Dremel for example) but prepare for new ones. (try ebay.) Carbon tracks have that nasty "contagious" issue if you don't get rid of them completely.

done.
took them out, used a plastic syringe with the tip cut off so it's bigger, sucked up some GM top end engine cleaner into syringe and inserted syringe over tip of each coil pack. Withing 30 seconds they were all spotless. finished off with a spray of electric contact cleaner/lubricant.
worked like a charm, engine at idle is now almost undetectable.

thanks all for the advice.

To prevent further corrosion, you can use silicone dielectric grease that will help seal against moisture and also help your spark voltage get to the spark plugs better. I always use them on my spark plug wires and distributor plug wire contacts.

I've heard that Coca-cola is great at removing electrical corrosion off of battery terminals but never tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back