What do you use to wipe your dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half joking/half serious. Is there a preferred material for wiping the dipstick. They make special wipes for babies butts, so I figure we need special wipes for our babies.
grin.gif

Do some of you just wipe it on your pants?

Does anybody just lick it off (user Idrinkmotoroil, maybe?)

Kleenx, shop rag, ...?

cool.gif
I keep a roll of paper towels in the garage. Put the used ones in the bottom of my big funnel to catch the drips from the smaller ones stacked inside it. In a pinch though I've been known to use a leaf.
smile.gif

None of my cars are living, they are things, so I don't treat them as 'babies'.

I use my shirt as I usually am not wearing anything nice.

If I am wearing something I don't want to get screwed up I'll usually wait an hour or so and check the oil cold after it has all settled.

paper towel, shop rag, wedding dress that takes up valuable space in my garage.

i use my fingers if i'm feeling naughty.

seriously.

fruit.gif

Used motor is toxic. I usually wipe my dipstick on the neighbor's lawn. Then my N-P-K levels went through the roof. I figured lint free cotton towels would keep keep the Si, low too...

I make rags out of all the unmatched socks when the laundry is done. That way I can always justify buying new socks (the kids and wife are not too good about matching them, so I run low), and I have an ample supply of rags handy. They are good for getting onto tight places and great for the dipstick.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I use the editorial section from the local-lib newspaper.
gr_eek2.gif

lol.gif
Do you find your car drifting more to the "left"
wink.gif
?
I use whatever is handy. Usually paper towels. I just make sure that their are no pieces of paper or cloth stuck on the dip stick before I reinsert it back into the engine.

Whimsey

For transmission fluid, Mercedes has a special rag for the dipstick that doesn't leave any lint. On the Mercedes forum, some people use their fingers, then wipe their fingers on a rag to keep lint from getting on the dipstick.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
For transmission fluid, Mercedes has a special rag for the dipstick that doesn't leave any lint. On the Mercedes forum, some people use their fingers, then wipe their fingers on a rag to keep lint from getting on the dipstick.

One reason I started this thread was because I actually was using baby wipes (old ones that had dried out) until I noticed fibers left on the dipstick. Now I think the best practice is to wipe the stick with any handy rag and then wipe it off with your fingers to get it extra clean.

cool.gif
Did you know that your dip stick is an analog gauge?

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I use the editorial section from the local-lib newspaper.
gr_eek2.gif

I asked a lady friend of mine to start sending me her copies of the Boston Globe so I'd have floor covering for the cat litter box area in my utility room. Now I have another use for it...
lol.gif

I add a little concentrated mint flavor to the crankcase so I can lick it off, tastes pretty good!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back