RGT - will it be going away soon?

I am guilty of posting this before but it was my best effort on trying to compare these Shell owned products in the 5w30 category. It needs updating on the Dexos and SN plus categories. Enjoy.

A40598F9-D23F-41FD-8158-8E0F5FF2049E.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time finding it on Walmart's website but it's just Walmart and using Google I was able to find a link to the 5w30 jug in 5 qts but when you drill down through the website and go through automotive and then motor oil it's not anywhere to be found as it's non-existent. I tried selecting 5w30 and 5 qts and it wasn't listed with all the other oils. I found that you can use the search bar and enter in Rotella 5w30 and it will come up that way. I thought Walmart was dropping it too but it's just their website needs help. I was at another Walmart yesterday about 30 miles from home and there wasn't even a spot on the shelf for RGT and there was a huge empty space that was listed for ST. I've found that the oil selection is dependent on the store itself and they are not all the same, some oils I cannot find in certain stores but are available in others.

But honestly I'd hate to think that Shell was dropping this so soon as it seems like it's already a big hit for them, even without the rebates it's still a good deal at $18.28 right now at Walmart.

Originally Posted by Merek
I'm having a hard time finding it on Walmart's website but it's just Walmart and using Google I was able to find a link to the 5w30 jug in 5 qts but when you drill down through the website and go through automotive and then motor oil it's not anywhere to be found as it's non-existent. I tried selecting 5w30 and 5 qts and it wasn't listed with all the other oils. I found that you can use the search bar and enter in Rotella 5w30 and it will come up that way. I thought Walmart was dropping it too but it's just their website needs help. I was at another Walmart yesterday about 30 miles from home and there wasn't even a spot on the shelf for RGT and there was a huge empty space that was listed for ST. I've found that the oil selection is dependent on the store itself and they are not all the same, some oils I cannot find in certain stores but are available in others.

But honestly I'd hate to think that Shell was dropping this so soon as it seems like it's already a big hit for them, even without the rebates it's still a good deal at $18.28 right now at Walmart.
Try your local Advance Auto Parts, a bunch of mine have had it on clearance for $20.xx a jug-& it's STILL not selling!

RGT at WalMart has jumped to $20.97.
I bought 3 gallons last week at $18.XX online free shipping.
After putting it in my 19 4Runner I was impressed how quiet the engine sounded. It was on Mobil 1 0W-20
So was gonna order more...still a decent buy at $20.97 so I think I still will.

note- lots of Toyota guys swear their engine is quieter on TGMO. It supposedly is high moly and speculation is that is why.
Looks like RGT is also pretty high....hmmmm?

Auto Zone yesterday. Red jugs of RGT 5w20 @$10 each, $2/qt. Still blowing it out, so there is supply out there to be had. For a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD and 2006 Civic.

I have felt pigeon holing it as a “gas truck” oil was poor marketing. Hello, lots of CARS out there, Shell...

It is no less of a good oil, but many folks in the general public aren’t able to make that connection that it would be great in vehicles other than trucks in this day and age. If indeed it is going away, that was the fatal mistake before it even went to market. If they are going to re-launch it with a more catch-all name, then it may have a shot.

Last edited:
Who/What is RGT? I'm old and don't get out much. In fact, I haven't been out side of our city limits for over a year.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic.
It's being clearanced at Advance Autoparts for $10.49 - 5 qt / $2.49 - qt at Advance Autoparts.

It appears to be a kissing cousin to Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic (QSUD).

Shell Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic.
It's being clearanced at Advance Autoparts for $10.49 - 5 qt / $2.49 - qt at Advance Autoparts.

It appears to be a kissing cousin to Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic (QSUD).

Just picked up 20 quarts of 0W-20 at my local Advanced Auto for $2.49/Qt ($49.80 total). My stash is up to 24 quarts of 0W-20 Kendall GT-1 Max and 20 quarts of 0W-20 RGT. I think I'm done for a while.

Hey guy. Oil Newbie here.... I also picked up 6-5QT Jugs and 6-1QT Bottles at less than $80 with tax from Advance Auto. I will be using in my 2018 F150 with 2.7 Ecoboost, currently using M1 5W30(6QT per oil change) I change oil twice a year and drive about 8k per year, but i do tow my 4500lbs loaded travel trailer once or twice a year. My dump question is the RGT that i picked up has a date of Nov2018. Can i use this oil for the next 6 oil changes (3 years) or should i speed up my oil changes to 3 times a year(use it up quicker) since the RGT is already year and half old? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200731_140633.jpg
    20200731_140633.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 28
Called SHELL and was told it's going nowhere . May get difficult to find . It's also a natural gas product , like that of PENNZOIL synthetics .

Hey guy. Oil Newbie here.... I also picked up 6-5QT Jugs and 6-1QT Bottles at less than $80 with tax from Advance Auto. I will be using in my 2018 F150 with 2.7 Ecoboost, currently using M1 5W30(6QT per oil change) I change oil twice a year and drive about 8k per year, but i do tow my 4500lbs loaded travel trailer once or twice a year. My dump question is the RGT that i picked up has a date of Nov2018. Can i use this oil for the next 6 oil changes (3 years) or should i speed up my oil changes to 3 times a year(use it up quicker) since the RGT is already year and half old? Thanks!

If stored in a temperature controlled environment it can last almost indefinitely. For 3 years I wouldn't worry about storing it in a non-temp controlled building or garage. Not even with it already being two years old.

Just remember to shake it before use. After 9-12 months additives can start to settle our in some cases.

We have UOA were the oil was still good in the car after 5 years much less the container.

Back