Motorcraft FL820S cut open 2k miles

Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Cut open after 6 months and 2k miles of city use. End cap fell off when I pulled the cartridge out. My last time using an FL820S on this car. Replaced with a Fram ultra XG2. I had old hard drive magnets on the end of the filter and as you can see they did a good job of catching iron particles. I'm not paying $10 for a magnetic drain plug.

For 2K miles

Looks more like 10K to me !!!!

That's a nasty filter
What oil did you use ????

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by BLND1
I have an 820 on my Mustang right now. It's unlikely I'll need to change it before I sell it, but if I do I'll probably use something else.

You'll be fine. We purchase a 96'Crown Vic with 60,000 miles from an auction years ago. It now has 360,000 miles, guess what oil filter was used in that time.
wink.gif

It's actually the first time I've ever used one (in over 100k). I have no problem going back to a Fram XG or TG.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
MC oil filters are still the BEST!
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, best at tearing, failing, and cutting ADBV's

The ADBV part is true on some.
Pushing on the pleats near the ends of the media sure does cause that tearing you stated.
Failing? Please, elaborate on that one.
21.gif

I have an 820 on my Mustang right now. It's unlikely I'll need to change it before I sell it, but if I do I'll probably use something else.

You'll be fine. We purchase a 96'Crown Vic with 60,000 miles from an auction years ago. It now has 360,000 miles, guess what oil filter was used in that time.
wink.gif

It would have reached 360k with any name brand filter. Your driving style and regular maintenance has the most to do with your Vic's longevity. I addition, Crown Vics and G.M.'s are built like a vault.

Last edited:

wink.gif

+1

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by ToadU
I am missing something when looking at the pics? I don't see any tears. The fact part of the filter fell apart WHEN STRUCTURE WAS CUT AWAY doesn't mean anything. The filter is installed as a whole unit on the vehicle—Not cut apart. Cut the walls out of a building and the roof might fall down too. Didn't mean the building was unsafe or dangerous before cutting out the walls.

All I see is wavy pleats. So what?

Guess you haven't seen the ones posted that show tears. This one had big potential to tear. I don't like potential for anything bad ... just me I guess.
grin.gif

Agree and that one was in use for only 2k miles. That's just a walk in the park. I hate to see what it would like like after 5k miles.

Thanks for the photos. I have never been a fan of the 820s. I really have not seen one that looks good. They seem to work ok but always look bad when pulled apart.

thumbsup2.gif

Pushing on the pleats near the ends of the media sure does cause that tearing you stated.
21.gif

The media tears without pushing on it--surely you are not suggesting that every poster here has intentionally torn the media. In addition, there are posts of other brands that people have stated they did push on the media and it did not tear so the media in an FL-820s must be inherently weak.

The failing part is the media tearing and cutting of the ADBV--no filter should do that. All of that when combined with its 93.7% efficiency hardly makes it anywhere near "the best". Far too many other brands out there to roll the dice with MC, but to each his or her own.

"the best" is surely based on "feelings", not facts.
grin2.gif

This entire forum is built on feelings, because for the majority of what we discuss "better" and "worse" are still "good enough."

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

21.gif

The media tears without pushing on it--surely you are not suggesting that every poster here has intentionally torn the media. In addition, there are posts of other brands that people have stated they did push on the media and it did not tear so the media in an FL-820s must be inherently weak.

The failing part is the media tearing and cutting of the ADBV--no filter should do that. All of that when combined with its 93.7% efficiency hardly makes it anywhere near "the best". Far too many other brands out there to roll the dice with MC, but to each his or her own.

If there are SO MANY of these filters failing and causing engine problems, I sure wish you would post some of these engine failures.
If not........
coffee2.gif
35.gif

grin2.gif

This entire forum is built on feelings, because for the majority of what we discuss "better" and "worse" are still "good enough."

+1

grin2.gif

If so many of these filters are failing, where are the engines that are failing because of this failing filter?
Do I detect CRICKETS out there?

raw-1.png

Originally Posted by Lubener

wink.gif

It would have reached 360k with any name brand filter. Your driving style and regular maintenance has the most to do with your Vic's longevity. I addition, Crown Vics and G.M.'s are built like a vault.

It's hilarious because the way the 820 is talked about here, we should've had some sort of catastrophic failure at some point because this is such a problematic oil filter so say the oil filter "experts" we got here.

lol.gif

grin2.gif

If so many of these filters are failing, where are the engines that are failing because of this failing filter?

Yup, all talk but no proof of an engine failure. No recalls either for this oil filter so this case is closed until someone can show some hard evidence.

grin2.gif

Doesn't take an engine failure for most people to decide not to use crap filters.
wink.gif

It's not about "engine failures" ... it's about bad quality that's been going on for a long time. If someone wants to use filters with well know issues and don't care if they tear or come apart in use, then go for it, lol.

grin2.gif

I'm talking specifically about filters that have a history of issues and failures to still be considered "the best". There's another name for that phenomena.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Lubener

wink.gif

It's hilarious because the way the 820 is talked about here, we should've had some sort of catastrophic failure at some point because this is such a problematic oil filter so say the oil filter "experts" we got here.

lol.gif

+1
PLEASE, let all of these FL-820S experts on how this filter is such a failure, show us PROOF of an engine that has failed from this filter.
BTW, my son will be doing an OCI this weekend on his 04 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4 engine. And, he will be using one of these failing 820S filters. When his engine fails from said filter, I will post it here.
smirk2.gif

Latching on to the "engine failures" straw grasping in this discussion is a diversion from the real issue ... bad quality.

+1
PLEASE, let all of these FL-820S experts on how this filter is such a failure, show us PROOF of an engine that has failed from this filter.

So if we had multiple, documented failures of a tire brand on here, but no one died you'd say they are the greatest tires in the world? No logic in this argument at all, just someone blindly supporting a brand because someone is employed by the parent company.

I understand loyalty but that is rank ignorance.

Back