Coffee - Your Current Brew

ILLY coffee

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
ILLY coffee

[Linked Image]

Not cheap but some pretty darn good coffee. I used to buy this when I was in Asia at a high end supermarket. Brewing it in a press pot I got a kick out of the release of CO2 gas from the brew. It would look like a volcano bubbling away in the pot.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Also picked up some of these on sale from Amazon the other day for my little Nespresso machine...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Aquariscsm got me hooked on peet's "major dickason" roast. Bout all I drink now
smile.gif

Peet's is the BEST!! Peet's French Roast is so good, it's like liquid candy!! I wish the stores near me still stocked it.

This stuff just arrived. Will be trying it this weekend, although they recommend waiting 10 days from roasting for best flavor, but I'm too impatient.

Seattles 6th Street for now.
Either straight or 2/3 to 1/3 Folgers mix for the pour over brewer at work. I'm not fussy, like darker roasts usually though.

By 3 or 4am, I quit drinking coffee or might have a decafe.

Last edited:
Quattro: let us know how it tastes when you try it
smile.gif

Looks real good

The Malabar Gold makes a good strong shot. Plenty of crema. It'll probably get better in a few more days, and I still need to dial in the grind so that it flows a bit slower. This is what I'd call a rather pure coffee taste. It doesn't have any hints of caramel/chocolate that some of my all-time favorite beans have. But it is strong enough to not get lost in milk-based drinks such as cappucino or latte. I used 18g of beans to pull this shot. That's about max of what my double filter basket can hold. I think Josuma recommends using 21g, but for that you'd need a triple basket.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Quattro: let us know how it tastes when you try it
smile.gif

Looks real good

The Malabar Gold makes a good strong shot. Plenty of crema. It'll probably get better in a few more days, and I still need to dial in the grind so that it flows a bit slower. This is what I'd call a rather pure coffee taste. It doesn't have any hints of caramel/chocolate that some of my all-time favorite beans have. But it is strong enough to not get lost in milk-based drinks such as cappucino or latte. I used 18g of beans to pull this shot. That's about max of what my double filter basket can hold. I think Josuma recommends using 21g, but for that you'd need a triple basket.

Is that a Breville 870? How do you like it?

Originally Posted by Pablo
Is that a Breville 870? How do you like it?

Yes.

I've gotten used to it over the years, but it's a bit finicky. For example, if you pull a second shot right after the first shot, it won't have the same consistency/flow/extraction. Alas, I only make one shot, so it's OK.

Last night I got a batch of coffee from the Sisters Coffee Co. out of Sisters Oregon. This place is located in central Oregon's high mountain desert.

https://www.sisterscoffee.com/

I've heard a lot of good things about this roaster so I decided to give them a chance. I picked two different blends and their Timor-Leste Letefoho Kolkoli. All were marked as roasted on the 23rd or 24th this month so practically right out of the roaster.

I brewed up the Timor this morning in the press pot. This is a light roast. Fruity with a bit of a wine character. Very smooth. Also has a nutty overtone. While I generally prefer darker roasts I have been dabbling more in light and medium roasts too.

This was a very nice cup.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Last night I got a batch of coffee from the Sisters Coffee Co. out of Sisters Oregon. This place is located in central Oregon's high mountain desert.

https://www.sisterscoffee.com/

I've heard a lot of good things about this roaster so I decided to give them a chance. I picked two different blends and their Timor-Leste Letefoho Kolkoli. All were marked as roasted on the 23rd or 24th this month so practically right out of the roaster.

I brewed up the Timor this morning in the press pot. This is a light roast. Fruity with a bit of a wine character. Very smooth. Also has a nutty overtone. While I generally prefer darker roasts I have been dabbling more in light and medium roasts too.

This was a very nice cup.

Sounds good and nothing like beans a few days off roast. I won't buy anything over medium any more, I prefer the lighter roasted beens, much better flavor. A couple I get from a guy out of Wisconsin has a couple that are nutty and chocolate. The Guatemala - Huehuetenango he describes as "sweet chocolate dipped nuts".

Ha I have joined the light roast world as well. Just too many charred beans out there. Plus, indeed local roast is the way to go.

I like the Brazil from talkingcrowcoffeeroasters.com I buy it at our farmer's market. The guy just knows how to roast coffee.

https://talkingcrowcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee/products/regular-brazil

Sisters - I want to try, but is a little nuts to ask $15+ to ship 12 oz of coffee 1/2 state away.

Ha I have joined the light roast world as well. Just too many charred beans out there. Plus, indeed local roast is the way to go.

I like the Brazil from talkingcrowcoffeeroasters.com I buy it at our farmer's market. The guy just knows how to roast coffee.

https://talkingcrowcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee/products/regular-brazil

Sisters - I want to try, but is a little nuts to ask $15+ to ship 12 oz of coffee 1/2 state away.

I ordered three bags and paid no extra for shipping.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I ordered three bags and paid no extra for shipping.

Good to know. My usual lately has been Pete's Brazil, so I'm flush with beans currently. Will hit them for three bags later.

Caribou Blend whole bean and ground 12 ounce bags. Haven't had this for awhile so hopefully it's good. Previous coffee was whole bean Aldi Morning roast which is pretty light compared to what I'm used to. Plus the little Cuisinart grind central doesn't seem to do a good job of grinding the beans.

Back