Coffee - Your Current Brew

How are you making your coffee?

These days I'm traveling a lot (driving, not flying), and since I can't count on the quality of coffee at hotels or Airbnbs, I've been carrying a Chemex-style pour-over unit, along with an electric grinder and a Pyrex measuring cup to boil water in the microwave. Works well, but there are a few issues - one, the electric grinder, while it is a burr-style grinder with the ability to adjust grind, it's bulky, and it's about as quiet as a rock crusher. Another thing is, it can take well over 10 minutes to boil water in that Pyrex measuring cup in a microwave. And then there's the fact that not all hotel rooms have microwaves. Another problem is that making a proper pour-over coffee requires pouring the water slowly, and, the nature of the measuring cup method means that the water temp has already decreased significantly by the time you pour the last several ounces of water.

Seems that it would really help to have an electric kettle and a manual hand-crank grinder, so I asked for these items for birthday/Christmas:

Hand-crank grinder:

http://www.muellerdirect.com/produc...held-mini-k-cup-brushed-stainless-steel/

OXO electric kettle:

https://www.oxo.com/products/small-appliances/coffee-and-tea/adjustable-temperature-pour-over-kettle

That electric kettle is really cool. 1-liter capacity, and it has a monster of a heating element (1500 watts), so they claim it brings a full liter of water to a boil from room temp in under 5 minutes. Also has adjustable temp, as well as a "hold" feature that will hold the water at a certain temp for 30 min. And it solves the problems of water temp decreasing from the optimal 200*F during the pour, and it has a "gooseneck" spout to make it easy to do a slow pour.

Picked this up in Antigua last week, based on recommendation of a local coffee aficionado. Looking forward to trying it soon...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After trial and error along with a learning curve, I've settled on the best equipment, beans and methodology for a consistently excellent pot of coffee.

The beans I have great success with are Costco Kirkland Colombian Supremo, Peers Major Dickasons and Costco Organic whole bean.

The grinder(I bought two... one for each home) are Chinese knockoffs of a Japanese design.

The coffee maker is a knockoff of the Technivorm design.

qeqdkirwjhribbgffwbv.png

s-l640.jpg

4774_overall.jpg

Originally Posted by john_pifer
How are you making your coffee?

These days I'm traveling a lot (driving, not flying), and since I can't count on the quality of coffee at hotels or Airbnbs, I've been carrying a Chemex-style pour-over unit, along with an electric grinder and a Pyrex measuring cup to boil water in the microwave. Works well, but there are a few issues - one, the electric grinder, while it is a burr-style grinder with the ability to adjust grind, it's bulky, and it's about as quiet as a rock crusher. Another thing is, it can take well over 10 minutes to boil water in that Pyrex measuring cup in a microwave. And then there's the fact that not all hotel rooms have microwaves. Another problem is that making a proper pour-over coffee requires pouring the water slowly, and, the nature of the measuring cup method means that the water temp has already decreased significantly by the time you pour the last several ounces of water.

Seems that it would really help to have an electric kettle and a manual hand-crank grinder, so I asked for these items for birthday/Christmas:

Hand-crank grinder:

http://www.muellerdirect.com/produc...held-mini-k-cup-brushed-stainless-steel/

OXO electric kettle:

https://www.oxo.com/products/small-appliances/coffee-and-tea/adjustable-temperature-pour-over-kettle

That electric kettle is really cool. 1-liter capacity, and it has a monster of a heating element (1500 watts), so they claim it brings a full liter of water to a boil from room temp in under 5 minutes. Also has adjustable temp, as well as a "hold" feature that will hold the water at a certain temp for 30 min. And it solves the problems of water temp decreasing from the optimal 200*F during the pour, and it has a "gooseneck" spout to make it easy to do a slow pour.

Have you looked into a Clever dripper, you don't need a gooseneck because it's more like a French Press only with a filter so it don't matter how you pour the water in, i have one and it makes a really good cup of coffee. After you pour the water in you let it sit for a few minutes then sit it on your cup and it drains into the cup.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCS13I2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?

Currently working my way through a bag of this. For store bought beans, these are surprisingly fresh (roasted less than 2 weeks before I purchased them) and good tasting.

Been drinking this one for a couple weeks now and it is very good and reasonably priced at $34 for 2 pounds. This is a pic from his site, my camera takes horrible pictures, roast date was 12/10/19.

huehue.png

Last edited:
I had the K-cup version of this and it was the best K-cup coffee I had ever tasted. Not a fan of K-cups in general.
When I saw that Amazon sells it whole bean style... I'm all over it.

2lb_fullwrap_fog_chaser_4.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Let us know how they are QP; Almost bought some Friday to try.

The Nerissimo one is decent - I've bought it before. I'll let you know about the others after I try them.

Sadly, when your point of reference is a carefully dialed in manual espresso machine with freshly roasted beans, then coffee from a pod machine just doesn't compare, even when using original Nespresso pods. I only use it when I have no time to fiddle with my manual espresso or when I have people over and need to produce multiple cups quickly.

Good to know about the Nerissimo. I agree with you, it's just more convenient under the circumstances you mentioned. I do the same thing.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

I just finished a case of these Karoma Extra Strong and they were pretty good.

Originally Posted by Toros
I had the K-cup version of this and it was the best K-cup coffee I had ever tasted. Not a fan of K-cups in general.

I hope your experience with these is better than mine. I like you tried the k cup version my wife bought and liked it so I bought the whole bean off Amazon and it was probably the worst coffee I have ever had. The beans were covered in oil (usually means old and/or over roasted) and no matter what I set my grinder to I could not get it to grind without half of it turning to powder which made a very bitter cup.

I think a lot of it has to do with the packaging being clear, light is not good on beans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by Toros

I hope your experience with these is better than mine. I like you tried the k cup version my wife bought and liked it so I bought the whole bean off Amazon and it was probably the worst coffee I have ever had. The beans were covered in oil (usually means old and/or over roasted) and no matter what I set my grinder to I could not get it to grind without half of it turning to powder which made a very bitter cup.

I think a lot of it has to do with the packaging being clear, light is not good on beans.

I'm about 30% through the first bag. Excellent coffee. It grinds perfectly in my grinder
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Also picked up some of these on sale from Amazon the other day for my little Nespresso machine...

Aquariscsm got me hooked on peet's "major dickason" roast. Bout all I drink now
smile.gif

Back