BMW N55 Recommendations

We just purchased a 2017 X5 with the N55 motor. The car has 29,000 miles on it. Next oil change is due in 8000 miles according to the maintenance indicator, so it was recently changed. The car has been dealer maintained, so guessing it's currently using 0W-30 (unless I'm missing something). Anyways, I'm looking for an oil recommendation. I'm not new to BMW ownership. This is the fourth one I've had, but the first one with a turbo. I previously used Castrol Edge 0W-40 European with Mann filters in my E39 and E46 (both with the M54) and in my E60 (N52 motor). I'm inclined to stick with that unless there's a better choice these days. Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing going into a Phoenix summer with a hotter running motor. Any info is welcome!

Last edited:
Any oil that carries the required BMW approval is going to be substantially the same as any other one that carries the same approval. However, neither the Castrol product you mention nor Mobil 1 0W-40 carry BMW approvals anymore. If that is okay with you then they should be fine in your application.

Many individuals on here continue to use both those products after they stopped having BMW approvals. If you want a readily available oil that does have BMW Longlife-01 then Castrol 5W-40 available at Walmart is one choice. There are similar inexpensive products from others such as Pennzoil but my local Walmart does not carry them.

If the car is just driven around town and what not I would just stick with the 30 grade LL-01FE. If it sees some actual higher temps from back roads and what not I would probably move to the 40 grade.

At least in the cars, this engine sees pretty high oil temperatures. Mine ('11 135iM) will see 245F (on the sump temperature gauge) pretty routinely, even just in gentle commuting. So the question really becomes what temperatures are observed in this vehicle? I assume the cooling might be better with more frontal area.

IIRC, mine was specified and filled with a 5w-30 LL01 oil. IMO, a 40wt is a better bet, pending confirmation from a UOA. The Euro 0w-40 oils are pretty stout, and even if they lack the LL01 spec, Im not sure Id be terribly concerned assuming it meets relevant or subsequent steps, but that needs more scrutiny, as the OPs engine is still under warranty... To me, for the DI engine, lower SAPS seems to potentially be prudent... But again, warranty and owner's call.

Id look for a good 5w-40 personally, but would be open to 0w-40, or a stout ACEA A3 30wt... and follow up with UOA.

I did notice that Mobil-1 and Castrol don't have LL-01 approval anymore. Is this just because they didn't seek it out or did the formula change?

Originally Posted by BSchmidt25
I did notice that Mobil-1 and Castrol don't have LL-01 approval anymore. Is this just because they didn't seek it out or did the formula change?

BMW newest update on LL-01 does not allow 0w oils

Per Lubrizol's Relative Performance Tool the updated LL01/01FE spec (aka LL01/01FE 2018) performs slightly better in terms of wear reduction and piston deposits versus the pre-2018 specification. BMW TPT (aka dealer oil) will surely have the latest specification. It can be had in 5w30 (LL01) and 0w30 (LL01FE). IMO I would opt for the 5w30 being that you have the heavier X5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I believe it doesn't spec 40 weight oils. 0w oils are fine since BMW's own oil is 0w30 and 0w20.

Thanks for the info so far. It is under warranty and will be for two more years, so I'd like to factor that into the equation too. It's not going to see too much enthusiastic driving. I'm really more concerned with the high operating temps, especially in Phoenix. Everything I'm reading so far is saying that LL01-FE superceded LL-01. I guess my question then would be is if I use a LL-01 approved option, am I covered if any warranty issues come up? If so, I'm probably leaning towards the Castrol 5W-40 assuming it's a good option.

LL-01 won't be an issue; my SA puts TPT 5W-30 in my 2er because he knows I track it from time to time.

Thanks for the info so far. It is under warranty and will be for two more years, so I'd like to factor that into the equation too. It's not going to see too much enthusiastic driving. I'm really more concerned with the high operating temps, especially in Phoenix. Everything I'm reading so far is saying that LL01-FE superceded LL-01. I guess my question then would be is if I use a LL-01 approved option, am I covered if any warranty issues come up? If so, I'm probably leaning towards the Castrol 5W-40 assuming it's a good option.

LL01FE didn't supersede LL01. It's just another allowable specification. LL01 FE (Fuel Efficiency). You'll obtain slightly better mpgs otherwise it's essentially the same as LL01 in day-to-day driving. I just "believe" that LL01 because of the higher HTHS is a better fit for the X5.

Worldwide the N55 is spec'd for a wide range of BMW approvals (LL01, LL01FE, LL04, LL12FE) but for now BMWNA has only signed off on LL01 and LL01FE for the factory oci.

I wouldn't worry about temps. The coolant circuit for the N55 includes the turbo and the electronic water pump will continue to circulate coolant after the engine has been shutdown. The N55, in stock form, is fairly reliable and not an oil burner like the M54 nor does it suffer from fuel dilution and excessive carbon buildup like the N54.

Last edited:

LL01 is current spec. too. FE is just that, Fuel efficiency. In laboratory I have no doubt FE has slight MPG advantage, in the real world it is questionable.
You will retain warranty as LL01 is still go to for ALL BMW gas engines, including B generation.
If you want LL01 oil you can get Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Auto Zone has it on sale often. Vavoline European Vehcle is another option. Castrol Edge 5W40 too, but I do not think it is as "good" as Pennzoil.
You can get online Motul X-Cess 5W40, and FCPEuro has Pentosin 5W30 as an oil kit. But online you can get bunch of oils.
Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 will work too. My preference is Castrol 0W40, but they do not carry LL01 anymore. I personally use currently Pennzoil Platinum 5W40. It runs very smooth in my N52, but initially I had to add 0.3ltr 1000 miles after change. That could be me not topping off to the max when changing. Since topping off I made 1200 miles and no decrease in oil level, at least on sensor.
However, you can get BMW TPT 5W30 in dealership and it is really good oil.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I believe it doesn't spec 40 weight oils. 0w oils are fine since BMW's own oil is 0w30 and 0w20.

LL-01 includes 40 grade oils, LL-01FE does not and also has lower HTHS requirement. The 20 grade stuff is LL-14FE or LL-17FE

As said LL01 is a ok. I have been reading anything possibly can on the newer X5's as am in love with them. I've had excellent results for many years with Mobil 1 oils. My 08 3 series I6 is not what you have i know but the M1 0-40 was great in that engine too. If it were mine I'd use the M1 0-40 but I would also be just as comfortable with the comparative Castrol.

Hi everyone! I didn't want to create a new thread for the same topic. I'm looking for a good 0W-40 oil recommendation for my car, the mileage is 155k km (around 95k miles). I don't prefer 5W-40 oil due to cold winters. Generally I like using oil additives from Liqui Moly & Archoil, so it should be such an oil which can be used with additives:)

BMW 335i / BM3 Stage 1 / 2014 year

50% city - 50% highway / high RPM on the highways / no track days / max 5k km oil-change interval

Hi everyone! I didn't want to create a new thread for the same topic. I'm looking for a good 0W-40 oil recommendation for my car, the mileage is 155k km (around 95k miles). I don't prefer 5W-40 oil due to cold winters. Generally I like using oil additives from Liqui Moly & Archoil, so it should be such an oil which can be used with additives:)

BMW 335i / BM3 Stage 1 / 2014 year

50% city - 50% highway / high RPM on the highways / no track days / max 5k km oil-change interval
Troll.

Back