1991 BMW 735 Coolant recommendation

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by 2EHA
"With the protection of the environment in mind, BMW has been filling all of its vehicles with nitrite- and amino-free anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents since mid-1986 as standard practice. The use of anti-freezing and anti-corrosive agents that contain nitrites and amines is no longer permissible."

Basically the reason why most German OEMs used G11 instead of G05.

Daimler used G-05 until pretty recently, at least for older vehicles... I have MB-labeled G-05 still on my shelf.

Of course Daimler is not BMW. BMW has indeed used blue for a very long time - whether G11 or G48 a decade or more ago I couldnt say. When I looked into it for my M42, it was G-48, but my BMW was 20 years old at that point...

Daimler-Benz transitioned from G05 to G48 in the early 2000s.

Last edited:

That's not quite right, Mercedes switched to G48 in 2012, there was a TSB sent to dealers indicating that G48 was superseding G05 and G05 was being discontinued. I had a W123 in the early 00's and it would be commonly pointed out by the Mercedes purists if your car had the wrong colour (green) coolant instead of the gold-yellow G05.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by Bluestream
Originally Posted by Gebo
Probably don't have the owner's manual? Get it from the BMW dealer.

I bought the car new, so yes I have the owners manual, but that information is 29 years old.

Sounds like G-05 is what I want. Thanks to all who replied, I learned a lot...

I don't recall that the manual for my 91 BMW cited a spec, standard, or type. As I recall, it just said genuine BMW coolant...

FWIW, my owners manual says to use coolant that is Nitrite and amino free to prevent damage...

FWIW, my owners manual says to use coolant that is Nitrite and amino free to prevent damage...

I believe that would be nitrite and amine free, not amino.

Originally Posted by Jake_J

That's not quite right, Mercedes switched to G48 in 2012, there was a TSB sent to dealers indicating that G48 was superseding G05 and G05 was being discontinued. I had a W123 in the early 00's and it would be commonly pointed out by the Mercedes purists if your car had the wrong colour (green) coolant instead of the gold-yellow G05.

My old 05 E55 and my 08 C63 both had dark blue coolant as the factory fill.

325.0 is G05 or G48

325.3 is Pink, it's G40 type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

No, Its says "Amino free" can post a pic if you want

Well it might say that but it is wrong. Amino molecules are biological building blocks and not a component of nor even pertinent to an automotive coolant. That's a typo on the part of whomever made up the label. It may very well be "amino free" but that is similar to saying it is hemoglobin free.

Amines on the other hand are organic alkali compounds and are used in coolants. Amino group molecules are also amines but still it isn't the same. You 're not worried about "aminos", you're worried about amines.

Well it might say that but it is wrong. Amino molecules are biological building blocks and not a component of nor even pertinent to an automotive coolant. That's a typo on the part of whomever made up the label. It may very well be "amino free" but that is similar to saying it is hemoglobin free.

Amines on the other hand are organic alkali compounds and are used in coolants. Amino group molecules are also amines but still it isn't the same. You 're not worried about "aminos", you're worried about amines.

Well, these manuals are translated from German, so I'm sure there are a few typos.

Back