Ventless/ sealed auto battery

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Originally Posted by JHZR2
AGM batteries vent at ~1% of other non-sealed batteries. The AGM batteries have a glass mat to wick electrolyte. They are also called Valve-Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA), because they are "sealed" with a valve that opens if and only if the internal pressure (from overvoltages due to high rate/high voltage charging, electrolyzing the water in there) goes too high. Otherwise it stays shut to allow the H2/O2 to recombine.

OP, Id recommend considering an AGM battery if you are set on having it be "sealed". Not entirely sure why it matters in many/most applications, but that's your call.

All AGM I have encountered are vented to exterior of cabin.

Do they not leak then? My wife's Volvo is setup similar. The battery is in the trunk and is vented by a tube that runs below and out the car.

I don't remember it leaking, but the battery is way too big for my needs. H11 I believe.

Got around 8 years out of the last battery IIRC.

You sure that H11 is right? Mine is an H8 and that's a big battery. Can't really find an H11 automotive battery. 12 years no leak. Even killed it once, had to bring it inside to charge it. That was heavy, carrying almost 60 pounds a few hundred feet. Just awkward to carry, I smarted up and used a two wheeler to carry it back.

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
Originally Posted by JHZR2
AGM batteries vent at ~1% of other non-sealed batteries. The AGM batteries have a glass mat to wick electrolyte. They are also called Valve-Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA), because they are "sealed" with a valve that opens if and only if the internal pressure (from overvoltages due to high rate/high voltage charging, electrolyzing the water in there) goes too high. Otherwise it stays shut to allow the H2/O2 to recombine.

OP, Id recommend considering an AGM battery if you are set on having it be "sealed". Not entirely sure why it matters in many/most applications, but that's your call.

All AGM I have encountered are vented to exterior of cabin.

If it's vented then it's not an AGM.

My understanding is that AGM's are not vented at atmospheric pressure but are valve regulated so they vent only if pressurised by overcharging. A battery without a safety valve would be a potential bomb

Originally Posted by barryh
My understanding is that AGM's are not vented at atmospheric pressure but are valve regulated so they vent only if pressurised by overcharging. A battery without a safety valve would be a potential bomb
Correct.

Originally Posted by barryh

Correct. Venting and valve regulated are different, IMO. Vented has a ready path to the ambient, such as a connection for a vent tube, on the exterior of the battery, and is intended for there to be some level of exchange, even if designed to ideally recombine most/all H2/O2. Valve regulation loses only in the case of an overpressure due to excess gas generation (from charging too fast at too high a voltage), and diffusion.

Thanks, guys. I remember the little gray circular things on the top of my last Optima Red Top and I thought they were vents.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
Thanks, guys. I remember the little gray circular things on the top of my last Optima Red Top and I thought they were vents.

Some AGM batteries have a port, that must have been used for initial filling. They are sealed tighter, and not really user accessible. The "valve" may be built into those on the optima, because I think the design is different (never owned one so not sure) On other more standard "block" designs, the vent may be elsewhere.

Fleet Farm carries their private label Road Runner batteries and I believe some of them are completely sealed. or at least the one's I have used have been. No idea who makes them, but they have been an excellent battery for me.

The sealed lead-acid battery facilitates combining hydrogen and oxygen during the charging process and to make water, which prevents the drying out of the battery. It was invented to achieve a maintenance-free battery.

One can check Livguard batteries for robust, sturdy, and durable ventless/sealed auto batteries. I tried them on the recommendation of my friend, and I am very satisfied with the result. Apart from regular servicing and maintenance calls, I am never worried or tense for any maintenance or battery issues for my car. Good decision to say the least.livguard batteries

Originally Posted by Deepak
The sealed lead-acid battery facilitates combining hydrogen and oxygen during the charging process and to make water, which prevents the drying out of the battery. It was invented to achieve a maintenance-free battery.

One can check Livguard batteries for robust, sturdy, and durable ventless/sealed auto batteries. I tried them on the recommendation of my friend, and I am very satisfied with the result. Apart from regular servicing and maintenance calls, I am never worried or tense for any maintenance or battery issues for my car. Good decision to say the least.livguard batteries

In India, but not Indiana.

Back