Chinese Die Hard Batteries - For What It's Worth

Went to procure a Die Hard battery for the Jeep, and noticed two different Die Hard Platinum AGM batteries within the same group size. Ones in the usual gray colored casing that resembles the Auto Zone Duralast, and ones in an all black case.

On all the black cased Platinum batteries was a curious sticker: Made In China. Thankfully the one I needed was (presumably) American made (resembled the Duralast), or at least it didn't have a Made Elsewhere sticker on it.

Attachments

• Chinese Die Hard Battery 2023-11-13 01.jpg
    Chinese Die Hard Battery 2023-11-13 01.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Chinese Die Hard Battery 2023-11-13 02.jpg
    Chinese Die Hard Battery 2023-11-13 02.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 125
Went to procure a Die Hard battery for the Jeep, and noticed two different Die Hard Platinum AGM batteries within the same group size. Ones in the usual gray colored casing that resembles the Auto Zone Duralast, and ones in an all black case.

On all the black cased Platinum batteries was a curious sticker: Made In China. Thankfully the one I needed was (presumably) American made (resembled the Duralast), or at least it didn't have a Made Elsewhere sticker on it.
Yep - putting in my new H7 AGM from Walmart - and there it was - the tiny sticker from Xi with Love 🇨 🇨🇳

the duralast platinum im running now was made in Germany. whether that means its good or not, i dont know.

Looks familiar

IMG_8959.jpeg

Unfortunate.... I'd rather have an Exide from Rural King.... for multiple reasons.

Fully agree. Before we moved back to TX earlier this year, I replaced the Group 34 batteries in a couple of my cars. I lived in IL for seven years and never fully understood how R-K sells their (made-in-USA) Exide batteries for a little over half of what the competitors charge...but I'll take them all day long!

The Chinese made batteries ( not AGM so far) have also shown up at Canadian Tire with the Motomaster tag. There are also made-in-USA and made-in-Mexico batteries there as well. I did a posting last year with the calculations showing that once a shipping container is filled with batteries to its weight limit, it’s only a few bucks per battery to bring them in from anynwhere on the planet. Never think that the weight of a lead acid battery will require local manufacturing. :cool:

Is there *really* a difference between a Chinese battery and an American or German one? I bought an AGM H7 from Walmart this spring and it says Made in Germany. It cranks and works compared to my old dying battery. Isn't battery capacity, battery capacity?

Is there *really* a difference between a Chinese battery and an American or German one? I bought an AGM H7 from Walmart this spring and it says Made in Germany. It cranks and works compared to my old dying battery. Isn't battery capacity, battery capacity?
Yes, but there are other quality factors that can come into play.
1) Life
2) Leaking...yes AGMs can leak. Happened to me on three red top Optimas.

Even if there were no difference is quality, I would avoid buying anything made in China with Made in USA pricing.

Back