Stuck oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Will the longer 4386 fit? Use the 4386 next time, and if that still doesn't do the trick, use the K&N filters with the nut on the end

I have often used the 4386 sized filter but not this time because I got them at an RA clearance..I've read that I could use a 3614 or even a 3600 from my Fords on the Corolla but I've never done it. I won't need the filters with the nut on top because I plan to oil the gasket better and hand tighten only in the future (Sayjacs good advice).....The thing that surprised me was that the fluted end was the strongest part of the filter (according to the guy at NT)....I was trying to get a bite on the filter as close to the base plate as possible...had I tried the fluted end...I may have gotten it off with the HF filter pliers.

Easiest: bring it to an oil change shop that has a coupon, tell them to change the oil or just the filter, and pay the $20 labor.
Cheapest: Big wrench to crush the filter and turn it, or jab a screw driver in the side to turn it.

Next time don't tighten it too much, go 3/4 of a turn is more than enough.

Ford has a gorilla who puts on their oil filters. Both my 1999 Ranger and 2001 Explorer factory filters were on so tight it was ridiculous. In both cases a giant screwdriver driven through finally got them off. Completely mangled / tore the filter body to the point where I though the Explorer was going to separate from the base plate. Finally moved.

Originally Posted by pbm
Here's the outcome...I went to Northern Tools...The guy at NT had an automotive background and told me the fluted end of the filter is the strongest....I had wrongly assumed it was stronger near the base....I learned something today....actually I learned several things......Thanks for all the great replies guys...

WOW! Very valuable information. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back